South Suffolk Leisure - Harlands

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry, yet another Harlands thread.

I joined my local gym back in June 2015 and the first payment was due on 1st July 2015. I was recently diagnosed with Anxiety and I really just couldn't face going anymore. I know it was stupid but I cancelled the DD without informing my gym (think it was in March)

Before I cancelled, I moved addresses and updated this onto the gym membership system online. Harlands had sent threatening letters to my old address which is luckily my parents home. By the time I went to collect my post, I had 2 letters from them. The money owed on the second letter was considerably more than before. I don't know how on earth they work it out!

I contacted them via email with the following (on 1st June 2016)

Hello,

I am writing to you in regards to my gym membership. It has come to my attention that you have been sending threatening letters to my old address and that my account is now in arrears of £109.00. I moved from this address in March and I updated this on my online gym account. No one from Harlands or my gym have tried to contact me on the phone to inform me of these letters. If you were to do your job properly you would have noticed this change of address and I would have known about this earlier.

Please send all corresponding letters to my current address: ****. I have attached a proof of address.

Therefore due to this error, I will not be paying any admin fees in relation to this. If you confirm in writing in 14 days that you are happy to take off any admin charges, I will settle the amount by debit card. If you fail to accept my offer within 14 days or you demand any other payment, I will pay you nothing and my offer will be withdrawn.

I do not appreciate being threatened with debt collectors and threatening language. I suffer from severe anxiety which I receive prescribed medication for and this is affecting my health.

And this is the reply I got:

Dear ****,

Further to your recent contact to our offices.

We thank you for your email,

One of the terms of this agreement, which you have agreed to be bound by, is that “If you fail to pay any monies due under this agreement or if any Direct Debit is returned unpaid or if any cheque is returned unpaid or if any other form of payment is not honored for whatever reason, you shall pay us on demand an administration fee of £25.”

£25 is the amount deemed by our directors as representative of our costs in dealing with the administration involved with a missed or returned payment. When we submit for a payment by Direct Debit which is then returned, we are also charged by the bank. The charge also covers the costs we incur to reapply for the payment out of your regular payment dates and sending letters.

The administration charge cannot be removed as it has been applied correctly as per the terms and conditions of your membership.

For all Enquiries Call Harlands : 01444 449166 () Quote Reference : 32938724 / GH

Office hours: Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm

Yours sincerely,

Harlands

I just ignored this and I haven't heard anything back since. Did I have grounds to cancel because of medical reasons and how do I go about proving this? I feel if I go to my doctor, they wont advise against exercise. I have prescribed medication so can provide proof of this.

Please let me know your thoughts, thank you :)

£25 is the amount deemed by our directors as representative of our costs in dealing with the administration involved with a missed or returned payment.

what a load of ole bunkum!!

the FCA would love to read that...!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Sing and welcome to CAG

You made your views clear in your 1st letter to Harlands but they insist their £25 fees are fair and payable - WRONG !!

I would only have offered to pay one month's fee for the notice period you failed to give.

In any event, ignore further demands for now and keep us posted about what you get and from whom. Harlands/CRS, then Zinc and finally Spratt Endicott is the normal order.

The good news is that you need not be anxious about this at all as they never take the "action" they threaten.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...

I received a letter dated 22nd June 2016, see below:

IMPORTANT - PLEASE CALL US TODAY ON *******

"We've been employed by **** as your membership remains in arrears despite previous letters being sent to you.

As a result of this, our fees totalling £66.50 have been added. Therefore, your account balance now stands at £175.50.

WE WANT TO REACH AN AMICABLE RESOLUTION WITH YOU!

In order that we can do this, please ring our non-premium rate number ****

What are your options?

1. You want to continue your membership - etc etc

2. You believe you've cancelled your membership etc etc

3 You're experiencing financial difficulties (explaining payment options)

We''ll cease further letters for 7 days so please call us on *** before then."

I havent answered any calls or called them. I havent yet replied, whats the next step?

Thank you!

std rubbish

who sent that?

Harlands/CRS, then Zinc and finally Spratt Endicott is the normal order.

as post 3

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi STS,

You need to tell us who this letter was from but I assume it was CRS (really Harlands in disguise !!).

Let us know so we can give our best opinion.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

CRS should be ignored completely for now.