Benefit calculation showed I'm better off on welfare. Help to battle the DWP please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I live in central London, I've got a lovely flat I've lived in for 8 years now. I haven't had kids yet because I believe in being responsible and if I can't afford them I shouldn't have them. However, I've changed my mind today.

Having been through the joke that is the work programme, I had the indignity of having to go to a benefit meeting today where I had to show my I&E to see if I was better off in work. Because I get the maximum Housing Benefit the system allows, I could never get a job that would pay enough to cover my rent. But the [edited] advisor was trying to make me take a minimum wage joke job like [edited] I'm 20yrs old!

I'm in my 40's and English! I love my flat and wan't to stay here but the landlord finally put up the rent.

This advisor even said, and I quote "Well, the only way you can stay on the dole and afford to stay in your flat is if you have a kid then the council will have to pay for you!" Is that what it's really come to? Are kids now a commodity for English people to get enough benefits?

I understandably walked out. I'm probably sanctioned now. But what can I do when by their own calculations it shows I'm better off NOT working!

Non-judgemental advice welcome please....

Edited by Mr.P
Please read the guidelines on what is acceptable before posting derogatory comments.

Do us all a favour and dont have kids for gods sake

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

You are not the first person and you won't be the last to be faced with this situation. The system is a joke, where the desire is to get people into work at all costs without any attempt to explain how any one can survive on the minimum wage in London. You could attempt to have an intelligent debate about how this could work in reality but it will be like talking to a brick wall. You are better off thinking outside of the box in ways of survival..

chronicchicken: Please have a read of http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?20-Forum-Rules.-Please-read-before-joining-us-and-before-posting and take note of sections 1.7 and 1.8. When you have done that, read them again.

Being in rented accommodation, you have the option of being able to move to another area where the cost of living is lower and job prospects are higher. Perhaps following the (misquoted) advice of Norman Tebbit.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

... This advisor even said, and I quote "Well, the only way you can stay on the dole and afford to stay in your flat is if you have a kid then the council will have to pay for you!" ...

Really? Sorry chuck, but I'm not entirely convinced. Are you practising the ancient and noble art of WUMmery?

• Haha 1

We've seen this type of 'query' before and the threads have invariably ended up being closed.

For anyone wondering about the benefits system, I would suggest consulting one of the online benefit calculators like the government's own or turntous.

Thread closed.

Illegitimi non carborundum

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks