Default on my credit file/ Lowell Finance

What to do
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5046 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i could do with some advice!

I have just bought my first house and have started recieving letters from a collection agency called Lowell financial at my new property. They claim that they have bought an outstanding debt of £1576.78 from HSBC dating back to 2001 and that i must pay in full immediately.

I do recall having a credit card with these guys when i was 18 and foolishly moved abroad for two years and ignored this. I have not heard from HSBC since 2001 and have not contacted them as it has never shown on my credit file.

My credit file now shows that i was searched by Lowell Financial in august of this year (can they search without my permission) and that they have registered a default against me under their name claiming that i have missed over eight payments.

I have never had an agreement with Lowell finance to pay them anything so cant see how i missed payments. I am also unclear of the amount that i owed to HSBC.

Any advice would be greatly recieved.

This is what has happened,

You had a credit card, You then missed more than 8 payments and the credit company defaulted you,

They then sent you a load of letters to tell you to pay, You did not reply to the letters as you was not in the country,

They then passed the debt on to lovell muppets who then changed the default name on your credit file to lovell as they now own the debt.

And yes they can search your file without your permission as they are chasing debt and this search will remian on your credit file for up top 2 yrs

Best thing to do now is send them a cca request and start the ball rolling

Andy,

Thanks for the swift reply.

Just a quick one to say that i have been checking my credit file weekly for about a year now and had no default from HSBC or any other company whatsoever until these Lowell guys got on the case a couple of months ago. This Lowell default that has just appeared is dated 25-08-2001.

Thanks for looking

• 3 years later...

I have had problems with LOWELL FINANCIAL LTD for about a year now, last year they sent intimidating letters saying i owed them £689.97 as they had bought an account from littlewoods which i have never had. I phoned them stating that i wanted statement sent out to me with the financal agreement that i had taken out. They called me with threatening phone, stating that if i did not pay the full amount they would send someone out to my house to collect, i got so angry that i told them to send the biggest bully they had with the company but i was contacting the financial services ombudsman for advice on how to get them shut down. The phone calls stopped and the letters stopped, i called them back quoting the ref number i recieved from the financial services ombudsman saying that i wanted the default removed from my credit file and that if it was not removed in 1 week i would be taking it further this all happening through out 2008/2009. the default was taken off my credit file, but i just happened to go into my credit file on the 27/06/2010 as i was renewing my mortgage and LOWELL FINANCIAL LTD had searched my credit file again for what i have no idea but i am on the war path ready for another fight with them as i know that i have absolutely no debt with anyone as i have paid everything off. they are the worst company in the world and i would suggest that you do not contact them at all go straight to the financial services ombudsman with all the letters sent and if you can record the phone calls.

Surely a debt from 2001 (provided that there have been no payments or other acknowledgement in the last 6 years) is statute barred - they have no chance of collecting this

Contact the CRA & tell them to remove this outdated information immediately!

then tell lowells that this is SB & bye bye