Gym says I owe money, I don't think I do

dison87
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2870 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

slick,

I have recently had the same sort of thing.

I am also just about to be having checks for a mortgage.

I signed up to a gym (Funktion Fitness) of a 12 month contract with 2 months being free.

I stayed for 13 months (paying for 11 months). Then left and cancelled my direct debit.

Now i keep getting messages from them saying i owe money to them.

I rang them and said i'd be willing to pay for one more month, begrudgingly. They told me no, i needed to pay 70£ half of their original 140£.

What should i do next? and will these people affect my credit file?

Absolutely fuming with these idiots!

Regards

David

thank you.

Im tempted just to pay the 70£ to stop the trouble!

There should be things in place to stop these letters straight the way.

I really don't know how they get away with it.

Dont pay them anything yet. Wait for the regulars. The gym or more so their admin company relies on you to do this.

Sit tight and wait for further advice. Meanwhile have a look around this forum.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi Dison,

1. You say this relates to Funktion Fitness. Where is this ?

2. Are you being chased by the gym or an admin company. If the latter, please name them.

3. Did you give notice of intention to cancel or did you simply stop going and cancel the DD mandate.

Don't call the gym or an admin company, for any reason. Keep everything in writing only.

This will NOT affect your CRA records so any mortgage or credit search will not reflect an alleged gym debt.

At worst, you may owe one further month's fee but you do not owe any of their admin fees. So you don't need to write to the gym for a breakdown.

Finally, you need to realise they have no power or authority. They can't make you contact them. Let them add all the admin fees they like - they are not payable because they are unlawful penalties.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Dison,

1. You say this relates to Funktion Fitness. Where is this ?

2. Are you being chased by the gym or an admin company. If the latter, please name them.

3. Did you give notice of intention to cancel or did you simply stop going and cancel the DD mandate.

Don't call the gym or an admin company, for any reason. Keep everything in writing only.

This will NOT affect your CRA records so any mortgage or credit search will not reflect an alleged gym debt.

At worst, you may owe one further month's fee but you do not owe any of their admin fees. So you don't need to write to the gym for a breakdown.

Finally, you need to realise they have no power or authority. They can't make you contact them. Let them add all the admin fees they like - they are not payable because they are unlawful penalties.

I have contacted the directors of the gym, they have informed Harlands/CRS to stop chasing the debt and that they are looking in to it themselves. At the most i'll owe them another month. Which in theory was a false advertised promo of 2 months free when signing a 12 minth contract.

When infact it makes it a 14 month contract .

I think they will sort it

Thanks for your advice, i'll keep you posted!

Their such idiots on the phones at CRS! Jokers!

Edited by Andyorch
edited

Ah, so it's Harlands !!

Experience has shown that gyms are usually unwilling or unable to get Harlands/CRS to back off. Harlands/CRS make far more money getting admin fees paid than taking a small percentage of the monthly gym fees.

If the gym fails to get Harlands/CRS to back off, let us know and we'll assist further.

As regards the m/ship offer you mentioned in post #1, I suspect you'd pay for 12 months and then get a further 2 months free. Do you have a copy of the offer, or a link to it on the web.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)