Jump to content

Disabled Facilities Grant

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1993 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi all.


Its been a while since I posted on CAG but I am concerned about the LA and the DFG. My uncle is in his mid 80's and suffers from dementia and severe arthritis in his knees so walking is a major problem for him. I had to take over his finances because a young nephew "stole" all his money and left him struggling.


Social Services got involved and got him to go to a day centre which he had to pay for. His condition has deteriorated and now has care in his home. At first he was paying for all this care and it took me some time to persuade Social Services that he could not afford this. My uncle then had a financial assessment (he owns his home but has an equity loan on it) and it was decided that he could get financial help with his care.


The problem being that him firstly paying for his care had drained his bank account. (Sorry for going on a bit) His deteriorated condition has led Social Services to insist that he needs a ramp to his front door, so a DFG was applied for. (All going well).


Another financial assessment was done and it turns out that he has to pay over £2000 towards the cost. He does not have that kind of money. It has taken me more than 2 years to get some sort of order to his finances but all that Social Services say is that we (SS) with go to court and get an order to take over his finances.


I have explained to them all of the above plus other points but they are not interested. I do not have Power of Attorney, when I realised that PoA was needed it was too late because of his dementia. Can SS do that (take over his finances) without any input from relatives.

Edited by maroondevo52
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there an option to appeal the assessment if he cannot pay towards the cost?


It appears that under the Mental Capacity Act they can apply to take over his finances if there is no PoA already in place, the good news is so could you.


See the link below for further information



Edited by martin2006
Link added





I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.




GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled


Spml Reluctantly withdrawn

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites



I strongly urge you to apply to the Court of Protection for power to manage his affairs, financial and welfare.

Get this done before SS do. You will then have the legal right to tell SS to take a running jump.


As an aside, we applied for a grant several years ago. Our "contribution" was more the actual cost of the work that needed doing. 50% more. Shows what total numbskulls they are.

REMEMBER! Hunger is the enemy - NOT the hungry!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your posts. I have looked at the possibility of applying to the Court of Protection for my uncle, wow.......has anyone done this. I know it is for the well being of my uncle but it seems so complicated. There are forms by the dozen (slight exaggeration). Fees to pay. Practice Directions to complete. Doctors to talk to. Permission to apply for from the Court. People to notify if all goes well. Written evidence to obtain......so it goes on. I think the only way to do this is to get legal advice, but that costs money......the reason why I needed to do this in the first place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...