Forcing Council to do a housing benefit calculation

neword
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2879 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Basically,

I am self-employed and have been for the last 2 years,

When I first started I had to take my books in every three month and a new calculation was done. that was fine I had no problems with that at all.

Towards the last three months of 2014 and the first 2-3 months of 2015 my income went up considerably and so my housing benefit entitlement dropped to the point I was only getting maybe £10.00 per week and virtually nothing on Council Tax.

No problems with that as the money I was earning covered the increase and I was happy with it.

The problem started at the end of March 2015 when the income from SE started dropping (knew it would during the Spring/Summer Months).

I took my books in as normal but they said they where not going to do a re calculation again until August and then every 12 Months after that. This of course left me paying high rent at a time I could barely afford it (I managed but it was tough going).

Anyway August came and I took all the books in again but because they were now basing it on twelve months books which included the very good months the HB only came down by £23.00 per week likewise CT had only a £5.00 pw reduction. This caused severe financial hardship and I basically had to scrape the barrel in order to get to now.

To give you an indication of the income reduction, February 2015 was £2200.00 but February 2016 was only just over £1200.00. Most other months since September 2015 have been down between 200 to 700 pounds.

I still have 2 months to go before they will do a re calculation but as I said to the Council I can see me quitting SE and going unemployed before August comes in.

Right now my last three months are running at about 40% of the previous years income and I cannot see any improvement at all in income until November 2016

So basically is there anyway that I can get the council to return to the three month recalculation that we were originally doing or is it going to be a question of grin and bear it until August.

If thats going to be the case I can see the income support people are going to have at least one more customer and I will then also claim care allowance as I would qualify for it based on my wife's PIP.

On a side note, I know there are benefit calculators but for some unknown reason I end up with some stupid figures which do not make any sense when I use them.

FYI,

Current income based on

wife's PIP (standard rate both care and moto)

Child Ben for a 16 year old who is going to go college this year.

WTC (around £92.00) due to working 40+ hours a week and lowish income,

CTC for the same child mentioned above.

+ £65.00 drawings a week (makes up the difference between what I used to get on the dole and what I get from WTC)

If I go unemployed income would come from

Child Ben for the 16 year old

CTC for the same 16 year old,

Wife's PIP as per above

Income Support (what that would be I don't know so if you could enlighten me then thanks)

Carer's Allowance (about £62.00 I believe)

and a larger reduction in HB and CT I think.

So whats better for me ????

Any help with any the questions is appreciated.

neword.