Filmed by another driver in traffic

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2873 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everybody,

I was driving on M1 last evening and there was a very heavy traffic on the motorway.

All the cars had almost stopped and google map was showing a 90 minute delay!

I had just passed an exit by almost 10 meters that I could take to escape the traffic.

A few drivers which were behind me started to going to the hard shoulder and reversing towards the exit

and after them I did the same. How ever, I noticed that one of the drivers who was stuck in traffic was filming us.

Is there possibly a way that if the guy passes the film to the Police,

Police use it to fine the drivers?

If yes, what will be the charges?

Thanks

Rob

yes quite possibly

urm.. I find it rather worrying you don't know what you did wrong...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Using the hard shoulder that is not what it is intended for

Emergency use only or when signage state to use hard shoulder

Not for any reversing maneuver traffic should only proceed in one direction in a forwards motion!!

Could be a case of dangerous driving to answer for

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Was he filming with a mobile phone whilst sat in the drivers seat of his car with the keys in the ingition and the engine running ? If so, you are more likely to be starring on youtube.

But to echo dx100uk above, you did WHAT ? I hope there were traffic cameras watching you.

Youve risked a heavy fine and points on your licence.

As dx said, it is EXTREMELY concerning you do not see what you did wrong, or rather, you know what you did wrong but thought you wouldn't be caught. You performed an EXTREMELY dangerous maneuver, and youll be lucky, VERY lucky if you get away with it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Driving on the hard shoulder is a £100/3 point fixed penalty offence. Talk of dangerous driving charges is melodramatic rubbish.

Maybe if you are driving WITH the flow of traffic.

To REVERSE down the hard shoulder is more than dangerous, it's downright suicidal.

The OP is getting flack for something he admits. We are not here to scold him or judge. He asked a fair question following finding himself in his position and deserves fair answers.

I think he should take heart from Crappo Man post No 4.

Secondly, I would wonder if such a film would be admissible unless it was taken on an approved, certified device, properly operated by trained, certified personnel, confirming the date, time and location to sufficiently stand up to questioning in Court by the likes of Mr Loophole.

I suspect the 'stuck driver' was understandably acting out of jealousy at being boxed in for a long wait coupled with annoyance at those who appear to gain from breaking the rules. Or, as Crappo Man also suggested, wants to get his views count up on YouTube.

Thank you all for your replies.

I have been driving in the UK for 5 years and outside the UK for another 10 years and I do not even have a single point on my driving licence.

In this specific occasion I know that I have done something that I should not have. That's why I am asking for your opinion.

The fact is that I followed some other cars and I should not have done that. However, there were no moving cars around. All the cars were at full STOP position caused by the heavy traffic. I am not trying to justify it. What I am saying it did not look that dangerous at the time I did it and I now regret doing something that being a very lawful person I should not have done at first point.

Many thanks again for sharing your views.

Edited by jupiter2002
spelling

It doesn't matter how you twist it. You broke the law. It matters not if the traffic was moving or at a standstill. The offence is the same

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

It looks that most people try to remind me that I have broken the law. Well, I know it and that is why I am here. I am not trying to twist anything. I have asked two clear questions in my first post and I just need answers. Many thanks for your help in advance.

P.S. I am not trying to justify anything. I have broken the law and since I have always been a lawful person I am concerned about it. Just want to know what could be the possible consequences and how likely.

Thanks all.

Edited by jupiter2002
spelling

It looks that most people try to remind me that I have broken the law. Well, I know it and that is why I am here. I am not trying to twist anything. I have asked two clear questions in my first post and I just needs answers. Many thanks for your help in advance.

P.S. I am not trying to justify anything. I have broken the law and since I have always been a lawful person I am concerned about it. Just want to know what could be the possible consequences and how likely.

Thanks all.

I doubt either the Police or prosecutors would use a member of the publics film to prosecute for such an offence. They have used film previously to prosecute for serious offences, such as Motorcyclists or Car drivers driving at very high speed to show how fast their machines go. . But i just cannot see them doing the same for illegal use of the hard shoulder.

I suggest that you stop worrying about it. In the same situation, i think i would have used the hard shoulder to exit the motorway.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

In the same situation, i think i would have used the hard shoulder to exit the motorway.

Which is justifiable, as all the traffic is moving slowly if at all ........

but becomes not justifiable when you risk meeting / colliding with / obstructing the emergency service vehicle using the hard shoulder, trying to get as quickly as possible (while still safely) to the scene of the incident causing the tailback .......

I doubt either the Police or prosecutors would use a member of the publics film to prosecute for such an offence. They have used film previously to prosecute for serious offences, such as Motorcyclists or Car drivers driving at very high speed to show how fast their machines go. . But i just cannot see them doing the same for illegal use of the hard shoulder.

I suggest that you stop worrying about it. In the same situation, i think i would have used the hard shoulder to exit the motorway.

They can and have done before.

They can and have done before.

I don't think the Police would use a third parties camera footage to prosecute people in this situation.

There have been prosecutions for serious offences, where film has been used, but i would be surprised in the OP's case.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

They can use it as evidence to a fact. Happens pretty regularly here in north wales. The only place in the UK you DONT want to be if youre a driver.

they have used footage on numerous occasions to prosecute people

and from youtube too.

however, in this instance, if they wanted too they could prob use gantry footage

but its unlikely anything will happen.

its pretty much std behaviour now and has been for years.

and ofcourse is what is done when the police or vosa arrive anyway

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and ofcourse is what is done when the police or vosa arrive anyway

But under their control, with their authority and not interfering with / risking the safety of the emergency services.

it is down to the quality of the evidence. Generally if a police officer sees you doing something you are done for, in the case of evidence from a member of the public it has to be a lot better quality. If the person hands it over to the police it may result in you being asked about the incident or more likely being added to an intelligence database to be used if you are caught doing something stupid again.

I was once on a motorway with stopped traffic and saw some cars cross a verge onto what seemed to be a road running parallel to the motorway, so I followed them... when I got to the top of the road, I realised it was actually the slip road onto the motorway, and I'd driven the wrong way up it! To top it off, the police arrived and pulled across the front of my car... they had stern words but could see that I'd made a silly mistake... Never heard anything more.

Felt so stupid, though....TB