Thomson holiday - Majorca - suspected food poisoning

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - i wonder if anyone can help.

My parents are on holiday in Majorca on a Thomson holiday (I am back in UK)

My mum has become very ill, vomiting 6 times overnight and bedridden and unable to get up. My stepdad let me know.

So far, I have called the helpline and they got in contact and a doctor came - charged €180 and said he suspected gastroenteritis. She has some medication and some isotonic water.

It is only 2 days into a 1 week holiday.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, especially with a view to:

1. making sure she gets the right treatment

2. possibly getting her home

3. once, the important bits above are done, what can be done with regards to exploring whether the hotel/Thomsons is/are liable

So far, my stepdad has kept a log of everything, has food receipts etc.

Thomsons have filed the incident, asked them a load of questions: i.e. does she drink a lot of alcohol (answer = she barley drinks and has maximum of 2 unit with food occasionally), did she swim in the pool (yes), did she swim in the sea (yes). I assume these questions are for evidence later should we claim.

Also, the person in the next door suite said 'Oh no, not another outbreak, we have had similar problems here before and people were dropping like flies' but I guess that is just hearsay

Any advice would be much appreciated

thanks

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)

Hi - i wonder if anyone can help.

My parents are on holiday in Majorca on a Thomson holiday (I am back in UK)

My mum has become very ill, vomiting 6 times overnight and bedridden and unable to get up. My stepdad let me know.

So far, I have called the helpline and they got in contact and a doctor came - charged €180 and said he suspected gastroenteritis. She has some medication and some isotonic water.

It is only 2 days into a 1 week holiday.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, especially with a view to:

1. making sure she gets the right treatment

2. possibly getting her home

3. once, the important bits above are done, what can be done with regards to exploring whether the hotel/Thomsons is/are liable

So far, my stepdad has kept a log of everything, has food receipts etc.

Thomsons have filed the incident, asked them a load of questions: i.e. does she drink a lot of alcohol (answer = she barley drinks and has maximum of 2 unit with food occasionally), did she swim in the pool (yes), did she swim in the sea (yes). I assume these questions are for evidence later should we claim.

Also, the person in the next door suite said 'Oh no, not another outbreak, we have had similar problems here before and people were dropping like flies' but I guess that is just hearsay

Any advice would be much appreciated

thanks

Normally in this situation, i would expect the Thomson holiday rep in the resort to be helping as much as possible to make sure it is nothing to do with the hotel, as they could then be subject to multiple claims by other holidaymakers.

If her situation worsens, then her Travel Insurance will cover her if she needs hospital treatment. On admission into any hospital, when asked your stepdad just provides the Travel Insurance details and it is dealt with direct. The Insurers won't fly her back early, as healthcare services in Majorca are equivalent to NHS standards, so she would stay if necessary for longer in Majorca if a Doctor says she should not fly. Her Travel Insurance will cover costs of coming back later, but they both might have to pay for flights and claim back off Travel Insurance later.

Even if she obtained a stool sample test report, there is nothing to say where the infection came from and i doubt Majorcan authorities would do anything, unless there is an outbreak affecting a number of people. Trying to claim back from Thomsons for a spoilt holiday will be an uphill battle, unless your stepdad finds many other people at the hotel reporting sickness.

Best thing to do is ensure plenty of rest and to take on board loads of fluids. Get it flushed through her system.

The Travel Insurers will cover medical and later flights if needed. The spoilt holiday would be a complaint to Thomson, but try to get evidence e.g names and addresses of other holidaymakers affected. Tell the Thomson rep if others are reporting the same sickness,

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Very helpful reply. Thank you

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

Google for the resort/hotel.

I just did and saw some reports of club mac in alcudia having repeated problems, yet when I was there many years ago it was one of the best holidays I have ever had (despite not because of Thompsons who we booked with - the hotel staff were brilliant).

Hopefully its just a minor upset and she recovers to have a great holiday.

I seem to be hearing a lot of tummy problems from friends here in the UK this year too

Clearly not imbibed enough alcohol to kill the germs :-)

Sobering story here:

http://www.euroweeklynews.com/3.0.15/news/on-euro-weekly-news/mallorca/138722-allegations-of-food-poisoning

You know what IS patriotic?

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, schools, council services, businesses and roads

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

Very helpful reply. Thank you

If any decision is made in consultation with Doctors to fly back later, it is advisable to notify the Travel Insurers straightaway. Don't leave it until they have come back. The Travel Insurers might suggest they try to get Thomson to help with revised flights if needed.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

thanks both for pragmatic advice

Thought I'd update and close this one off.

Mother Hat recovered after 24 hours but husband got it too.

Wasn't food poisoning, was a nasty bug which some others had too.

In the end, they recovered and made the most of their holiday.

Must say that after I alerted thomsons, they were very proactive and helpful without being chased. Also hotel were great.

Amongst all the bad publicity companies get online, it seems right to say well done to them.

Thanks again for the advice guys. It was useful