False information on First Great Western

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2872 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

Firstly I know I've done a ridiculous thing, but here's my story, hopefully you can help:

When I was travelling from a station the ticket office was shut and the ticket machine was 'out of order'

So I boarded the train.

The train conductor went to sell me a ticket,

when I opened my wallet i realised I had left my card and cash at home.

He said I could get off at the next stop without a fine,

however I stayed on as I had a really important meeting.

He proceeded to give me £20 increased fare, however, out of pure desperation and panic

I gave him my old address and a false name.

He did not say the details wernt validated so shall I proceed to pay the fine at the station

and not mention the details were false or should I confess in an attempt to settle with no criminal conviction?

As I said before, I know this was stupid but we all do crazy things when we panic.

Hope someone can help,

Adam

If you gave a false name and an old address how will they find you ?

If you went back admitting to all of this, you cannot be sure that they would not take it further. The £20 penalty fare will be in your false name and address. So you could pay the penalty using the false name and address, if you really wanted.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

if he doesn't know who you are forget it

unless you get a letter

and ofcourse you wont!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the reply guys,

I have no intention of not paying my way, so I will pay the £20.

The only problem with ignoring it is the only name I could come up with in my moment of panic was very similar to my old flat mates, 1 letter different in fact. Does the name have to be an exact match for them to chase him up at his old address also?

Thanks for the reply guys,

I have no intention of not paying my way, so I will pay the £20.

The only problem with ignoring it is the only name I could come up with in my moment of panic was very similar to my old flat mates, 1 letter different in fact. Does the name have to be an exact match for them to chase him up at his old address also?

If you are concerned: pay it, in cash (or if sending it in by post, by crossed postal order. So, no credit card or cheque with a name to trace you by....

Why pay it?

A) If you use the trains and are worried the penalty fare not being paid will flag up, then the member of staff asked for the details / description of the offender and that the member of staff will see you in future, be aware there was a false name and address and call the British Transport police (who had an office at that station the last tiem I was there, although that was a good few years ago!).

B) If you feel morally obliged to pay, if it was correctly issued, and you now feel bad about giving false details.

C), If you want to ensure you don't cause grief for your old flat mate.

If you pay it before it is overdue, it will get filed, and there will never be a reason for them to go looking for the person named on the report / find out you gave a false name and address (save if you get caught by the same member of staff and give a different name and address and they remember!)

no it adds lots...

not sure if they'll ever match up your £20 if you do pay..mind..

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

no it adds lots...

not sure if they'll ever match up your £20 if you do pay..mind..

Sorry, what do you mean by 'it adds lots?'

Also, won't the numbers on the tickets be matched with the receipt of payment?

yes sorry he gave you the ticket missed that bit

I commend your honesty

the adds lots comment comes from your reported post

whereby you though this thread added nothing to the forum

it does.

and they

If you are concerned: pay it, in cash (or if sending it in by post, by crossed postal order. So, no credit card or cheque with a name to trace you by....

Assuming it is a Penalty Fare or Unpaid Fare Notice we're talking about and there was never any question as to the authenticity of the details supplied, if he's going to pay it then cash, debit/credit card or any other accepted payment method won't matter. The false name and address won't come in to it as he's paying the notice within the allotted timeframe. There's no reason at all why GWR will link this to false details, as they'll (or IPFAS at least) take the payment. Case closed. And no previous recorded either (because details were incorrect) ;)

Even if the OP came clean or they were 'found out' (which they won't be), I doubt very much GWR would pursue the case of the incorrect details as it's too time and resource consuming at this stage with no other paperwork to back them up.