Parking Problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi CAGgers,

Help & advise needed on a parking issue. It has two parts to it.

Background:

My property has a drive way to the rear which connects directly to local authority maintained road/cul-de-sac.

The boundary of the drive and road is marked by what can only be described as stones in the ground. The drive, stones and road are all on the same level (so no dropped kerb access) just an easy roll across the boundary to access.

At the same time, parallel to the drive is my rear garden which has a fence on 3 sides. So the fence separates my drive and garden, the road and my garden and my neighbours drive and my garden.

On the section where the road and garden meet, as mentioned they are separated by a fence. Running between the fence and the road is a small strip of land about 15-20 inches that appears to be a continuation of my drive. When you look from above, it looks like an L shape and it constructed of the same materials as the drive. The attachement of old pic shows the rear of the property and hopefully my description makes sense.

The first part of my problem is that cars are parking with their wheels overhanging the stoned line and on this strip of land. It may sound petty but it annoys me for a few reasons. Mainly because cars that have parked on the section have scraped wing mirrors on our fence and it also leads to the second part of my issue.

The second part is in relation to being able to access and exit the drive without needing to turn left off the drive to the end of the cul-de-sac, perform a multi-point turn then get out of the road. You may note that at the entrance to the drive there is a 45 degree angle to the fence which it there to enable easy turning on to and off from the drive. Cars that park on the strip of land invariably overhang the angled section meaning it becomes redundant (hence turning left off the drive instead of right for a direct exit).

For the second part of my problem, I am in discussions with the local authority parking management people to see where I stand with regard to any obstruction as I'm hoping a PCN can be issued if the parking is deemed to be an obstruction of access.

For the first part, the local authority have advised they do not own the land and so at this stage I'm assuming it is mine. So, how can I prove 100% its mine and that being the case, what are my rights and course of action for people parking on what would be my property? Private PCN? trespass?

I would like to state that I am in no way wanting to stop people from parking parallel to my fence, as long as they do so on the road. I just want my access to be unrestricted and people not to park on my property.

If the strip of land is mine I will also at some point have it resurface when the main drive is done.

Advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Mr P

Rear of Property.png

Hello there.

If the strip of land is yours, it would normally show on your deeds. Have you checked with the Land Registry?

HB

Hi HB ,

When I look at the map from the land registry, the property boundary goes to the road, there isn't any marking to show the strip in question as being separate.

Mr P

Rather than contact the council to see if parking tickets can be issued

Talking to neighbours may be a better approach you have to live there

The amount of people who ask me why I am parked outside their house LEGALLY when I am working I fail to see there problem MOT in place tax insurance all that happens is I do paperwork in van after the job something I would normally do when get home saving me time at the end of the day

Sometimes it is better to live and let live

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Hi Mr P

I was going to suggest a small box or sign on the right of your drive(on your proerty) would probably help your visibility problems, but it is such a pretty road it would seem a shame to paint on the road or hang signs up, perhaps Michael is right.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Rather than contact the council to see if parking tickets can be issued

Talking to neighbours may be a better approach you have to live there

The amount of people who ask me why I am parked outside there house LEGALLY when I am working I fail to see there problem MOT in place tax insurance all that happens is I do paperwork in van after the job something I would normally do when get home saving me time at the end of the day

Sometimes it is better to live and let live

I've no issues with people parking on the road, as I mentioned. The obstruction of my drive and the damage to my fence is the issue.

I've no interest is causing any arguments or conflict. I've not said it's my neighbours, they all park fine.

I've no issues with people parking on the road, as I mentioned. The obstruction of my drive and the damage to my fence is the issue.

I've no interest is causing any arguments or conflict. I've not said it's my neighbours, they all park fine.

There is really not a lot you can doif your car is not in your driveway anyone can park across

Surely if anyone drags there Wong mirror across the fence they would have damage to there vehicle

As there car is potentially the second most valuable asset they have after a house

They need to shake there head

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

There is really not a lot you can doif your car is not in your driveway anyone can park across

Surely if anyone drags there Wong mirror across the fence they would have damage to there vehicle

As there car is potentially the second most valuable asset they have after a house

They need to shake there head

If the drive is blocked, local authority do have the power to issue a PCN. They have advised this. If a car is not on the drive it makes no difference. What about access to it?

When their wing mirrors are scarped across the fence it does both mark the fence and their mirrors. I would like them just not to do it!

Hi Mr P

I was going to suggest a small box or sign on the right of your drive(on your proerty) would probably help your visibility problems, but it is such a pretty road it would seem a shame to paint on the road or hang signs up, perhaps Michael is right.

I think a small sign on the fence advising not to park on the bit of land may be needed but I'm not sure how effective it would be. A suggestion that has been talked about between myself and another neighbour is to place some kind of raised object on the strip of land to prevent a car pulling onto it. Even one of those metal posts maybe that can be leaned down or locked vertically?

Mr P

I think a small sign on the fence advising not to park on the bit of land may be needed but I'm not sure how effective it would be. A suggestion that has been talked about between myself and another neighbour is to place some kind of raised object on the strip of land to prevent a car pulling onto it. Even one of those metal posts maybe that can be leaned down or locked vertically?

Mr P

Perhaps a coouple of lines on your property parallel to the road may stop people parking, i dont think there is any law which would stop this, although it would I suppose be slightly misleading to the motorist.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS