VAT Exemption on Building Adaptation For Disabled Person

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2883 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

We (the family) are undertaking a project to convert an attached brick building into a utility area and a wet room for use by a disabled member of the family. The contractor (who is non-vat registered) has requested that we purchase and supply the wet room fittings that we would like.

We are happy to do this and in fact would prefer to do so. But we would like to claim the VAT Exemption on the eligible items.

I know that in order to claim the exemption that we would need to provide a letter from the contractor confirming that the wet room is for use by a disabled person and also a HMRC VAT Exemption form completed by the person concerned.

I have contacted various suppliers about how to claim the VAT Exemption and been amazed by their responses.

Wickes responded with: "I can confirm that full prices including VAT must be paid through Wickes however once you have made your order you can claim the VAT with receipts through HMRC directly." Wrong, HMRC website specifically states that they will not refund VAT.

VictoriaPlum responded with: "In order for you to claim your VAT back, we would require proof of disability from HMRC and also a plumbers report to advise items have been fitted for a disabled person". How the hell would HMRC know whether someone was disabled?

Top Marks to ToppsTiles, who got it right. "To claim back disability relief VAT, you will need to complete a 10.1 form. This form will be located on the Hmrc.gov website. We will also require a copy of your sale receipt and written evidence from your builder. The written evidence from the builder must include that the goods and work being undertaken are used in the adaptation of premises for a disabled person."

My question is:

Has anybody else had to go through a similar process and did they find suppliers who were able to deal with this (online and in-store) and if so, who?

Many thanks,

Jedicris

REMEMBER! Hunger is the enemy - NOT the hungry!

My question is:

Has anybody else had to go through a similar process and did they find suppliers who were able to deal with this (online and in-store) and if so, who?

I was in the position of needing to make some adaptations, including the installation of a toilet and shower for a disabled user. Long story in short: the work never took place, but I would have been acting as the project manager & primary contractor. The local trade suppliers were quite willing to discuss prices, discounts, and VAT exemption. The likes of Wickes and the Bathroom Store never entered in to my mind as their pricing is generally inflated in the first place.

Link to a thread I started on the subject back in 2013: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?403223-Reclaiming-VAT-on-building-work

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Hi Mr.P,

Thanks for that, our local trade suppliers can get a bit sniffy at non-trade enquiries, hence my looking at other types of suppliers as well.

REMEMBER! Hunger is the enemy - NOT the hungry!