British Battle of Jutland sailor killed 100 years ago is finally honoured after his grave site is identified

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2880 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The final resting place of Royal Navy Able Seaman (AB) Harry Gasson has been honoured on the 100th anniversary of his death during the Battle of Jutland.

AB Gasson’s grave was re-dedicated with a new headstone, now bearing his name, at Esbjerg New Cemetery in Denmark in a service organised by the MOD’s Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre, part of Defence Business Services.

AB Gasson served on HMS Castor and was killed during the Battle of Jutland on 31 May 1916. His body was recovered about 2 nautical miles off Grey Deep on 25 September 1916 and buried as a ‘British Seaman of the Great War Known Unto God’ 5 days later on 30 September 1916.

The local people of Esbjerg maintained the grave for almost 100 years but it wasn’t until local historians looked into the church records to find it was recorded that the sailor had the name H. Gossom written in his trousers. After work by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) and checking naval records, the MOD was able to agree that the identity of this sailor was actually H. Gasson, and there had been an error in the transcription.

READ MORE HERE: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/british-battle-of-jutland-sailor-killed-100-years-ago-is-finally-honoured-after-his-grave-site-is-identified

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group