BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• The 'test, test, test' call from WHO specifically applies to just ''suspected cases'' and those who recently had contact with confirmed cases. WHO isn't calling for speculative testing.   I assume Prof Tobyjug is referring to a PCR test but as testing the entire nation for anything is a fantasy it doesn't matter much.
    • The Three-Body Problem https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Body-Problem-Cixin-Liu-ebook/dp/B00S8FCJCQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3C1EMC34CA27V&dchild=1&keywords=3+body+problem&qid=1586240421&sprefix=3+bo%2Caps%2C229&sr=8-1      
    • I don’t see some users posts, but since they’ve been quoted .........   I agree (in parts) with 2 contributors postings.   WHO says “test, test, test”, so more tests ARE key. That is part agreeing with one contributor.   I also agree with cjcregg. One has to understand the limitations of a test : (sensitivity, specificity and its positive and negative predictive values - which involves sensitivity / specificity AND prevalence!).   One also has to understand which test, to apply those limitations. a) RNA NAAT? (Commonly called PCR, though PCR is a tradename, so ‘PCR’ is to ‘NAAT’ like ‘Hoover’ is to ‘vacuum cleaner’) b) Antigen testing? c) Antibody testing? (If so, IgM? IgG? Both??)   Knowing which test(s), their limitations, and thus what the result actually MEANS is more important than a blanket statement of “test everyone!”, (and repeatedly ??! ) .... especially as it allows prioritisation of who gets what test to maximise benefit, until “testing for all” is more than a pipe-dream .....   Would you repeat a positive IgG test? If so, in what circumstances??
    • Just out of interest, how long did it take you to formulate this conclusion? I'm not looking for a particularly accurate answer, just round it up to the nearest nano second.    How is this going to work then?   Where are the medical personnel and laboratory staff required to undertake this massive project going to come from? Now this is just a stab in the dark but I'd imagine they'd be quite busy at the moment.   Even South Korea, who are recognised as having one of the most aggressive testing policies have only managed to test 1% of their population. You clearly have no conception as to the scale of what you're proposing.   Even if it was possible to plan, organise and execute it would take years to achieve, by which time all the data would have been redundant and completely meaningless. I was tested last week and it took 2 days for the result, which by the time I received it was already out of date as I was then and now just as likely to be infected as I was when I took the test.   Think about it.    
    • I'm sure that the entire nation is reassured and lost in gratitude to you for this heart-warming confirmation.   Do keep us updated.
  • Our picks

Foebane72

Do I need to tell DWP about my Dad's £1000 cheque gift to me?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1406 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

It's just a cash gift to me as he's "splashing the cash" after the sale of his deceased parents' house, but I don't know if I should declare it to the DWP, because they might then decide I don't need the ESA or HB at all and just use that money instead for a couple of months. I wouldn't put it past them, frankly.

What should I do?

Which type of ESA are you on please, income related or contribution based?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Which type of ESA are you on please, income related or contribution based?

HB

Income based ESA.

£1000 shouldn't make any difference at all, it's well below the savings limit. If it will make you happier, there's no reason why you shouldn't tell them anyway, but make it clear that it's a one-off gift and not, for example, a contribution toward your living expenses.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I don't think I will tell them anyway, unless they ask first. It's really none of their business. I just don't want to be jailed for fraud - as if.

Do you have any other savings? If not then it won't make any difference

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

Nope, no other money.

Nope, no other money.

Well you don't have to tell them as your savings are below the threshold so it won't affect your payments.

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

As I understand it, if you have over £6,000 in savings, the DWP will taper the benefits you receive down to zero. If your savings exceed £16,000, all benefits would stop entirely, and you'd be expected to live on the interest accrued. (This info is more than 4 years old, but I don't think it has ever been updated in light of the pitiful interest rates offered by banks).

As you say, you have no other savings, so this gifted amount falls safely below the lower threshold amount where you would be compelled to inform the DWP.

Hope this helps.

As I understand it, if you have over £6,000 in savings, the DWP will taper the benefits you receive down to zero. If your savings exceed £16,000, all benefits would stop entirely, and you'd be expected to live on the interest accrued. (This info is more than 4 years old, but I don't think it has ever been updated in light of the pitiful interest rates offered by banks).

As you say, you have no other savings, so this gifted amount falls safely below the lower threshold amount where you would be compelled to inform the DWP.

Hope this helps.

This is still basically correct, and one-off gifts like those described in the OP definitely count as capital/savings, rather than income.

I've bolded one part of your post that isn't exactly correct, but is a common misconception so I'm just going to clear it up. You are absolutely correct that savings between £6000 and £15,999 mean a reduction in benefits - the amount (for working age benefits) is £1 per week deducted for every £250 in savings of £6000 or over, but this is not an assumed interest rate. It is the rate at which you are expected to deplete your savings in order to contribute towards your living costs.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.