Xercise4less/crs/spratt edicott once again

VictorTT
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2817 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I started at exercise for less in July of last year. (2014)

They took a payment from me on July 1st of this year. Meaning my year long contract was now complete.

I moved out of Nottingham and foolishly, I cancelled my direct debit thinking they would just cancel my membership and allow me to carry on with my life.

Today, I received their CRS letter claiming I owe them £207.47.

I've read a few other posts, but can't seem to find anything relating to this specific situation.

My mind started running at a million miles per hour, like I'm sure most people's do, but a few of the posts mentioned that these guys mostly bullies trying to squeeze money out of people.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Victor

Slick will be along - but yes, it was foolish not to give written notice of cancellation. All of these people operate on the basis of rolling contracts - which is really just inertia selling - and I am sure that they make a huge amount of money from people who forget or who are foolish.

I think that you need to write to them and confirm the4 cancellation and say that you will cover their administrative expenses if they will tell you what they are.

I suggest that you don't disclose your new address. There is no reason for you to share your personal data with them any more - or have you already done that?

Hi Victor and welcome to CAG

I know it's too late for you now but our advice about cancelling properly is here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?452671-Cancelling-your-Gym-Agreement-Get-it-right-!

It would have been better if you cancelled in writing but you can deal with this by using the letter here, adapted to suit your own case :-

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to my membership at Xercise4Less gym in [Town].

I cancelled my direct debit mandate on 25th August 2015 and this was adequate notice of my intention to cancel.

I now realise I should have paid a final month's fee to you for the notice period in the sum of £9.99 to you now. I will not pay you any administration or cancellation fees - these are penalties that are unlawful and unenforceable.

If you confirm in writing that you'll accept the amount of £9.99 in settlement of all that I owe, I will pay you promptly. If you fail to accept my offer within 14 days or you demand any other payment, I will pay you nothing and my offer will be withdrawn.

Yours faithfully,

Send this off to Harlands at Haywards Heath and get a free Certificate Of Posting at the PO when you send it.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 3 weeks later...

On Saturday the 7th of November I posted this letter to Harlands.

To whom it may concern.

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to my membership at Xercise4Less gym in Nottingham.

Following the advice of a member of staff at Xercise4Less regarding stopping my membership, I cancelled my direct debit mandate on 1st July 2015 and this was adequate notice of my intention to cancel.

I now realise I should have paid a final month's fee to you for the notice period in the sum of £9.99 to you now. I will not pay you any administration or cancellation fees - these are penalties that are unlawful and unenforceable.

If you confirm in writing that you'll accept the amount of £9.99 in settlement of all that I owe, I will pay you promptly. If you fail to accept my offer within 14 days or you demand any other payment, I will pay you nothing and my offer will be withdrawn.

Yours faithfully,

Today I received this lovely contribution to the saga.

Attached

If you can't see it, let me know.

Hi Vic,

Just a normal letter from CRS and I'd simply ignore it until they reply properly to your letter.

If they don't reply to it, that's THEIR problem !

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

In July of last year I moved house and on my last day at Xercise Nottingham I asked a member of staff about cancelling my membership. I was with xercise4less for 13months at this point.

The staff member I asked told me that I should cancel my direct debit, so I did.

I've had letters from Harlands, which I've replied to stating that they should contact me by letter only, mentioning that their persistent calls/texts were bordering on harassment.

I've also given them 14 days to contact me which they did not so I thought that meant, my terms were accepted.

Only to now receive a letter from Spratt Edicott Solicitors.

These people are ridiculous.

See Letter below.

Any assistance you can lend will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Vic

You can ignore that, but you NEED to pull it off as it shows your identity.

Pull the attachment, and then tell us the story,

When did you join, when did you leave, how did you inform them that you were cancelling the agreement?

Did you pay them one final months membership fee?

Stay OFF the phone, keep a diary of events regarding their continued criminal offence of harassment against you, with a view of reporting them to the police for said criminal offence.

Get onto social media, FB and Twitter, and embarrass them on there, warn off potential customers that they will be harassed should they dare to ever leave the gym.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Ignore it. They wont do anything. Its a standard automated template letter. Not the use if if/may etc.

Sit tight and one of the regulars will be around to give specific info on what to do next. Its an issue you dont need to worry about and is very easily solved.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

attachment removed

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Victor,

Thread merged with the one from last November.

We don't need to see the letter from Spratts. We've seen enough of them to know that it's just more of their threats, designed to make folk panic.

Since Harlands changed to using Spratts last year, we've not seen Spratts take a single CAG case to court.

Don't waste a stamp replying to them but keep us updated of further communication.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

This came in a few days ago.

33.jpg

I was planning to e-mail their contact and requesting they contact me solely by post.

Bit of Background again.

I asked an employee of Xercise4Less how do I go about cancelling my membership

. I was told to cancel my direct debit.

I did this and did not hear anything from them for almost a year.

Then the Harlands/CRS and Now SprattEdicott letters.

In my e-mail to them I was also going to request a copy of the Terms and Conditions of my membership.

Let me know what you guys think of this

or if you have any points you think I should add in my correspondence to them.

I am willing to pay up to £50 realistically, should I mention this?

Regards,

Vic

PDF please

As you were told last year......

Unless the letter says we WILL do COURT

You ignore

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Vic,

Having seen the latest Spratt Endicott letter from your JPG, you need not respond at all for now.

It's their usual waffle and, in 99.99% of cases, none of the threatened action will be taken.

No need to contact Spratts by letter. email or carrier pigeon but keep us posted.