Car stolen ..forgot I had 3 points from 2 years ago on licence

sibod2002
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2861 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys

My car was stolen overnight from my house

I could contacted my insurance company to start a claim.

When the dvla check was done it came back I had 3 points from Feb 2014.

I had totally forgot about these and was not being dishonest

as when I took the policy out I notified them of any previous claims etc .

.I know it's no excuse but it was a genuine mistake .

I'm guessing now that they will come back to me and void my insurance beacuse of this ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should not be a voidance issue if it is just a total of 3 points, but you will have to pay a backdated premium related to this.

Insurers should only void a policy, if it can be shown that they would not have issued a policy, had they been given tbe correct information.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Come back here if they cause any problems. I think that you are in a strong position - but clearly you need to be more careful in the future

did your insurance company not request a copy of your license when you started your policy ? they won't be lenient they will kick up as much fuss as they can at a guess

is it worth claiming for your car ? the value of the claim out weights the cost of the car, excess, increased premium ect ?

did your insurance company not request a copy of your license when you started your policy

good point, there is that 'mylicence' system. whether or not it is their policy to check prior to insuring, not sure whether it would be/is obligatory.

but, it cld poss be a voidable (material) issue, if they wanted to be like that.

but then there is for eg ICOB eg 7.3.6 etc

Hi thanks for all the replies

No they did not do a liscence check when I took the policy..I was in an accident last year that went down as my fault and they paid he claim without any questions this is why I was so confident I had no points.

The car is on a finance agreement with the original total amount is 28k

The insurance company rang me today and have arranged a hire car to be dropped to me for 21 days as I have it down as an extra on my policy .

Would they be giving me that if I was not covered ?

Would they be giving me that if I was not covered ?

yes they would give you everything untill they realise there mistake, out of intrest have you been with the same company for a while? seems odd insurance company not asking for copy of license

They do know about the 3 points because during the claim they did a 3 way call with the dvla and said because there is a conviction on my licence that wasn't declared they need to refer it to underwriting .

A couple of hours later they called me to arrange a hire car as stated on my policy.

I have been with them since January 2015 I think .

if it is deemed an 'honest mistake', then shld be ok (according to the fos). thats if they kick up.

are your insurers now aware of your previous points?

Broke into my home address and took the keys while I was asleep upstairs .

nasty twats.

there was a recent newsfeed re one where the householder heard an intruder, got up to confront, and the intruder killed her! bbc.

Thank you

Changing the subject slightly you seem to be quite well informed on the subject so I am going to pick your brains if you don't mind .

What happens with the outstanding finance on the car? I have gap Insurance so as long as my insurance covers me the balance will be covered.

Am I just left with nothing after that ? I paid 1500 as a deposit and about 5k in payments. The original price was 22k going to 28k with interest and GMFV . I am not in a position to out a deposit down another car at the minute so just wondered is there any options for me or could I talk to Audi and ask for a replacement and to carry on the agreement ?

It depends what type of GAP Insurance you have.

What is the name of your cover eg Return to Invoice, Vehicle Replacement or just basic Gap Insurance?

How old is your car

My car is 2014 model.. I am not too sure of the name of the cover ..my booklet says I am covered for a total loss protection or a finance gap protection whichever is the greater sum.it seems a bit unfair that I should be left with nothing after paying in that amount but as I say I'm not sure how it works ?

yes they would give you everything untill they realise there mistake, out of intrest have you been with the same company for a while? seems odd insurance company not asking for copy of license

Many insurers dont ask for one, as the licence info is obtainable from DVLA database.

For a few years i had ASDA insurance, and had to copy over my licence. Next year, i went with hastings and they didnt ask for licence or no claims, as they said they can get it direct from the database.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

....., as they said they can get it direct from the database.

the 'mylicence' system, re endorsements?