trying to close my dads british gas account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2864 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am trying to close my dad british gas account as he has moved into a care home since my mum died in january, he has a council tenancy and I have cleared the house and elec and gas I have turned off as theres nothing that needs to be run, and the tenancy is about to be ended.

I send BG an online enquiry to ask about closing the account, they have said I need a "Court Of Protection" letter, I have no such thing - cant I just write them a letter and my dad to sign it, and include the final meter readings?

Yes get your Dad to sign it...otherwise they will hit you with their standing charge fees ...gas and elec used or not.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Yes, BG are being unnecessarily obscure going on about court of protection letters. All that's needed is a letter from your father - I assume he's still physically capable of signing a letter? Draft it for him, get his signature on it, and post it. When I did this for my father I included a request in the letter that BG replied to me and dealt with me in future. That avoids future problems with correspondence/discussions about closing the account.

More generally, I realised when my father went into a care home most organisations were incredibly difficult if I wanted to deal with them on his behalf ("data protection innit"). However, the workaround in practice is easy as long as your father is happy for you to take care of things for him. Just write all the letters in his name and get him to sign them, then they're letters from him not you. You just need to make sure you can find the replies, which got a bit problematic when my father developed Alzheimers.

For anyone else reading this thread for advise,

you could switch supplier online in your own name which takes 17-25 days.

This assumes you still have access to the property and no large outstanding debt.

The new customers (you) readings become the final one

although you can't trust energy suppliers to take any notice of them.

Some suppliers have meter reading forms on their websites without needing to be logged in

or you could send the meter readings using the website contact form with your Dads detail.

Suppliers can quite easily justify asking for LPA etc and DPA but that makes things difficult for customers.

If your Dad and or the family agree to you managing his affairs,

get on with it and don't excuse your actions.

It was the energy companies that closed all the showrooms after it was privatised.