Important! Please Get Involved With Your Local Post Office

sazz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6574 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

after going to my local post office today, I noticed a petition was on the counter. I asked the lady what it was for and apparently the Government are withdrawing support for the Post Office bank account from 2010. It's more than likely Royal Mail will cease this operation, leaving many vulnerable people without even basic banking facilities. Considering also that quite a high percentage of benefit claimers (as myself!) MUST have their benefits paid into a bank.

the little snippet is here: http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rmg/content1?catId=23200554&mediaId=23700541

With the withdrawal of the Post Office® Card Account in 2010, the network’s revenue from work done for the Government will shrink to less than 10% of overall business.

So much for this: http://www.dti.gov.uk/postalservices/universal_bank.htm

The concept of a ‘Universal Bank’ arose as a means to help implement the Government’s objectives for tackling financial exclusion. In its report of June 2000 on the future of the Post Office network, the Performance and Innovation Unit recommended the introduction of a Universal Bank as a means to help tackle financial exclusion and ensure that benefit recipients would continue to be able to collect their cash at post offices following the decision by the Department for Work and Pensions to make Direct Payment into accounts the normal way of paying benefits.

My post office have a petition regarding this and I suggest you mention it to your local, if they're not doing anything about it. I would imagine the Post Office are just as cheesed off as their customers...

Is this government in the pockets or what?!

• Haha 1

Lloyds Current A/C DPA sent 7th May 2009 Closed and charges wiped Summer 2010.

Barclays A/C DPA sent 4th June 2009: no reply, no correspondence as of 2011.

Littlewoods Data Protection Act Section 10 sent 09/06/2006 - Fraudulent A/C closed and CRA data removed November 2006.

HSBC Default & Debt wiped March 2009 (6 yr Statute barred reached)

RBS - Claim 1 - Settled in FULL £766.00 20/06/2006.

RBS - Claim 2 - Settled in FULL £777.95 08/09/2006

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

Amount - £586.39 claim plus 8% interest

SETTLED IN FULL 08/09/2006 - CHEQUE FOR £625.25

Halifax Visa Data Protection Act Disclosure Received

First Direct Data Protection Act Disclosure received

The Post Office/Royal Mail itself may suffer, but it won't directly affect the public. All banks by law have to offer a basic bank account, and several of those already have banking facilities via the post office counter, and more are to be added.

It could be that the Post Office are winding down the service in favour of operating a public counter for banks such as LLoydsTSB and internet-based banks like Co-Op Smile. The Post Office bank account service isn't profitable anyway (If I remember rightly, I read about this somewhere recently, but it would explain why the government have to subsidise it) so the same counter service will still be available and nothing will have changed for the customer except the bank logo on the ATM card.

...and if it saves the taxpayer money I'm not complaining, although the government will no doubt waste it all on something else.

Why this country, with it's overall wealth, has to subsidise anything is beyond me although that's a seperate topic altogether.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

The Post Office/Royal Mail itself may suffer, but it won't directly affect the public.

Of course it will directly affect the public.

Where would you go to send a Special Delivery item of mail?

What about paying a bill? You'd have to go "in to town" to a bank rather than to

the Post Office in the middle of your estate (your = generally speaking!)

That's to name just two.

I'm locking this thread as I "stickyed" it more for information than discussion.

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 08 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Lloyds Current A/C DPA sent 7th May 2009 Closed and charges wiped Summer 2010.

Barclays A/C DPA sent 4th June 2009: no reply, no correspondence as of 2011.

Littlewoods Data Protection Act Section 10 sent 09/06/2006 - Fraudulent A/C closed and CRA data removed November 2006.

HSBC Default & Debt wiped March 2009 (6 yr Statute barred reached)

RBS - Claim 1 - Settled in FULL £766.00 20/06/2006.

RBS - Claim 2 - Settled in FULL £777.95 08/09/2006

BOS A/C No. 1 & 2

Amount - £586.39 claim plus 8% interest

SETTLED IN FULL 08/09/2006 - CHEQUE FOR £625.25

Halifax Visa Data Protection Act Disclosure Received

First Direct Data Protection Act Disclosure received

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6574 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks