• Tweets

• Hi All,   Hoping for a little help and advice please.   This company Link Financial are chasing me for a debt that I had as a credit card with Royal Bank of Scotland. Out of the blue and having no correspondence from RBS a few year back this company claimed I now owed them the sum of money. I have written in response stating I do not acknowledge any debt to Link financial and asked them to supply evidence of liability. I also requested a true copy of the alleged agreement, a full statement of account, a signed true copy of assignment and any other documents referred to in the agreement. I also enclosed  a £1 payment for the credit agreement request and clearly stated that this £1 payment under no circumstances should be set aside for any alleged debt and if the documentation can't be supplied the fee should be returned.   Link's response was just a small statement of account with credit agreement number, account number (same as the RBS number), date of agreement and transaction sheet where they had taken the £1 fee off the debt value after I asked them not to. There was no true copy of assignment, true copy of alleged agreement or evidence of liability.   For reference, In 2009 my debts started to mount after my wife I had lost a child and we weren't at work for months, so ended up paying the mortgage on a credit card. Eventually it got too much and the RBS took me to county court in 2011 where I received a CCJ and then RBS was granted a charging order on my property which is in my name only. I was ordered to pay a monthly fee.    I received my first letter from Link in 2016 just stating, we have not written to you in some time as we have had to locate your address. We would like to discuss your intentions regarding the outstanding balance on  your account. I had no correspondence from RBS about this so I thought this was a scam company.  Unbeknown to me I also realised the monthly payment to the RBS had stopped being taken directly from my account.   After a few letters backwards and forwards about me disputing Link and this debt today 26th February 2021 I have now received another letter from Link stating. As you are aware a charging order on the beneficial interest you have in the property at.........has been secured. They are now seeking payment and will accept monthly payments on the account in accordance with my current financial situation. If I chose not to settle in full or fail to complete and return the form below or contact them within 7 days they will take further legal recovery action. There is a little boxed section at the bottom monthly or weekly payments for me to fill in and send off.   I'm really at my wits end now of what to do next. I have two years left on my mortgage and finding it really hard to get through that two year financially, especially since this pandemic has really hit home money wise. The last thing I need is the family home to be taken away especially with a 10 year old in the home.    I really appreciate any help and guidance. Thank you.    
    • OK lets pick out a few words in the ramble   Free energy?  Slavery?  Constructive manslaughter?  Weaponised energy of 5g Biowarfare Only wearing medical masks for criminal intent   Please may I suggest an extra layer of foil on the tin hat?    Oh and FYI there is no class action in the UK... 
    • i thought that was the point of mediation, to show them that you think they havent got a case to go to court with? I realise you know far more about this type of thing than i do though, but i thought that not fulfilling the CCA properly - ie by not supplying t&c - was an automatic fail at court for them.   I dont know what to do now -   @Andyorchcan i have your thoughts too please   the hassle just makes you feel like giving in to them
    • We believe this firm has been providing financial services or products in the UK without our authorisation. Find out why to be especially wary of dealing with this unauthorised firm and how to protect yourself from scammers. View the full article
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

BT attempted upgrade without permission on a pensioner

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1704 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

To cut a long story short I believe BT or one of their employees is responsible of untrue or misleading actions possibly fraud to my father of nearly 80.

Basically my dad removed caller Id from his phone to reduce the cost. He has the true-caller BT phones so straight away they stopped working correctly. I explained that it was because he had removed caller ID. While I was visiting him he asked me to put it back on for him so he phoned them went through security and I then took the phone. I explained my Dad had accidentally removed caller ID and his call blocking had stopped working and could they add it back on. The employee of BT explained that he he was such a long standing customer and providing he agreed to another years contract (he has broadband and telephone with BT) they would give it him free.

A few weeks latter my Dad received a letter thanking him for his change of package. This letter explained an increase in cost to the line rental, a BT Infinity Activation charge £49, delivery charge £7.95 and a increased cost of his overall package £30 per quarter. And a new 18 month contract. None of these upgrades were mentioned during the phone call none were asked for my Dad has Sky and has no need of unlimited data.

As you can imagine my Dad phoned them straight away and asked for an explanation. They could offer none but confirmed they would get back to him. A nearly 2 weeks latter they still have not. The additions have been cancelled.

I have emailed a official complaint to BT requesting copies of all the calls because I'm going to send them to OFCOM I believe that this behaviour should be stopped and BT held accountable. So far I have received no reply its now been 6 days since the complaint.

I believe people should be made aware of this as I find it despicable. I had a similar trick played on me by another supplier which was very quickly sorted out.

BT another year taken out in the last 6 weeks, now a notice of increase in rental received, hang on a price was agreed 6 weeks ago for a years contract? anybody else been duped?

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Well its now been 12 days since my complaint via email still nothing.

From their own blurb

http://btplc.com/Thegroup/RegulatoryandPublicaffairs/Codeofpractice/CustomerComplaintsCode/Complaints_code_of_practice.pdf

The quickest ways to get in touch are by phone or online using LiveChat. If you prefer,

you can email or write to us but it might take longer to get back to you (up to 10 days).

We’ll aim to solve your complaint within 14 days but sometimes it does take a bit longer.

So they have pretty much breached their own Complaints code I will give them a few more days. Then I will raise a complaint with :-

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html

How does this company carry on behaving in this manner? I really begs belief. Trying to take money from a 79 year old pensioner for chargeable services they neither asked for, or required then not responding to complaints.

• 5 weeks later...

Well this is still ongoing the latest gem from BT is shown below :-

"Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry for all the trouble you had. I've tried to locate the call recording. However, couldn't find it. We really apologize that the order was placed without your consent and you had to call us and write to us to repot that. However, I would like to inform you that order is reverted now and your broadband contract is not renewed. I have put notes on your account to inform that no order should be placed without your consent"

That was an exact copy off their reply I love the last part about not applying orders without your consent unbelievable.

I have attempted to escalate this to their management that was 8 days ago despite been assured a reply would be received within 48 hours.

They say they'll reply in a day or two but they have up to 8 weeks. BTW aren't known.for customer service when their call centre staff are heavy commission based

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Well yet another update,

I received a reply from "management" they said they had tried to contact me with no success they were trying to call again despite us requesting email or letter only.

After another email I again received another reply, it basically confirmed our account of the incident. Strangely they had now found the copies of the calls how odd. Sadly this was their response :-

"I have gone through your complaint and have reviewed the account for you.

I have heard the call recording for time: . Where you called in stating that you had cancelled caller display a few days back and since then your Call guardian has stopped working. The call was then taken over by your son who explained to the advisor that caller display was necessary for call guardian so wanted him to activate the service again. The Advisor offered two billing options to your Son for caller display.

1. Chargable Caller display without any contract, Cost: £3.95 per month

2. Free Caller Display with 12 months contract.

Over the call Free Caller Display with 12 months contract was agreed and that is the reason this put you in 12 months contract."

As I have stated this is a complete fabrication as the letter we have clearly states an increase in cost to the line rental, a BT Infinity Activation charge £49, delivery charge £7.95 and a increased cost of his overall package £30 per quarter and a new 18 month contract.

I have requested copies of the recording that they have "found" and questioned if they have actually read the complaint.

So at least they are continuing their customer service like they started.

Hi

As there seems to be some confusion here, it may be worth sending BT a SAR and demand they they supply all call recordings. It may also be worth contacting them separately to ensure the calls that have been recorded are not deleted as some companies do this regularly.

BT are stating one thing, you are saying another. The SAR should sort that out.

You don't need anything to complain to OFCOM as they don't deal with individual problems but if you have to escalate to the Telecoms Ombudsman, you will need as much evidence as you can get.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Well I received a reply fro emailing the CEO of BT.

Basically they have stated that the internet was not updated at the time of the call. The update occurred approximately 10days latter online, neither myself or my Dad updated the account. I requested how the account got updated and by whom and how. They have stated that they have very little information and have no idea how the update occurred.

Call be suspicious but I find this very handy on their part that an update was applied by a mysterious person unknown without our permission and strangely they have no idea how this occurred.

Companies like BT must have logs on these type of thing yet they have confirmed this information is not available.

Looks like they haven't even bothered to find out who did what. All they have done is look at dates which does nothing for anyone.

Did you send the SAR? If so, the account logs may show more than you are being told.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE