BT attempted upgrade without permission on a pensioner

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2845 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

To cut a long story short I believe BT or one of their employees is responsible of untrue or misleading actions possibly fraud to my father of nearly 80.

Basically my dad removed caller Id from his phone to reduce the cost. He has the true-caller BT phones so straight away they stopped working correctly. I explained that it was because he had removed caller ID. While I was visiting him he asked me to put it back on for him so he phoned them went through security and I then took the phone. I explained my Dad had accidentally removed caller ID and his call blocking had stopped working and could they add it back on. The employee of BT explained that he he was such a long standing customer and providing he agreed to another years contract (he has broadband and telephone with BT) they would give it him free.

A few weeks latter my Dad received a letter thanking him for his change of package. This letter explained an increase in cost to the line rental, a BT Infinity Activation charge £49, delivery charge £7.95 and a increased cost of his overall package £30 per quarter. And a new 18 month contract. None of these upgrades were mentioned during the phone call none were asked for my Dad has Sky and has no need of unlimited data.

As you can imagine my Dad phoned them straight away and asked for an explanation. They could offer none but confirmed they would get back to him. A nearly 2 weeks latter they still have not. The additions have been cancelled.

I have emailed a official complaint to BT requesting copies of all the calls because I'm going to send them to OFCOM I believe that this behaviour should be stopped and BT held accountable. So far I have received no reply its now been 6 days since the complaint.

I believe people should be made aware of this as I find it despicable. I had a similar trick played on me by another supplier which was very quickly sorted out.

Well its now been 12 days since my complaint via email still nothing.

From their own blurb

http://btplc.com/Thegroup/RegulatoryandPublicaffairs/Codeofpractice/CustomerComplaintsCode/Complaints_code_of_practice.pdf

The quickest ways to get in touch are by phone or online using LiveChat. If you prefer,

you can email or write to us but it might take longer to get back to you (up to 10 days).

We’ll aim to solve your complaint within 14 days but sometimes it does take a bit longer.

So they have pretty much breached their own Complaints code I will give them a few more days. Then I will raise a complaint with :-

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html

How does this company carry on behaving in this manner? I really begs belief. Trying to take money from a 79 year old pensioner for chargeable services they neither asked for, or required then not responding to complaints.

• 5 weeks later...

Well this is still ongoing the latest gem from BT is shown below :-

"Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry for all the trouble you had. I've tried to locate the call recording. However, couldn't find it. We really apologize that the order was placed without your consent and you had to call us and write to us to repot that. However, I would like to inform you that order is reverted now and your broadband contract is not renewed. I have put notes on your account to inform that no order should be placed without your consent"

That was an exact copy off their reply I love the last part about not applying orders without your consent unbelievable.

I have attempted to escalate this to their management that was 8 days ago despite been assured a reply would be received within 48 hours.

They say they'll reply in a day or two but they have up to 8 weeks. BTW aren't known.for customer service when their call centre staff are heavy commission based

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Well yet another update,

I received a reply from "management" they said they had tried to contact me with no success they were trying to call again despite us requesting email or letter only.

After another email I again received another reply, it basically confirmed our account of the incident. Strangely they had now found the copies of the calls how odd. Sadly this was their response :-

"I have gone through your complaint and have reviewed the account for you.

I have heard the call recording for time: . Where you called in stating that you had cancelled caller display a few days back and since then your Call guardian has stopped working. The call was then taken over by your son who explained to the advisor that caller display was necessary for call guardian so wanted him to activate the service again. The Advisor offered two billing options to your Son for caller display.

1. Chargable Caller display without any contract, Cost: £3.95 per month

2. Free Caller Display with 12 months contract.

Over the call Free Caller Display with 12 months contract was agreed and that is the reason this put you in 12 months contract."

As I have stated this is a complete fabrication as the letter we have clearly states an increase in cost to the line rental, a BT Infinity Activation charge £49, delivery charge £7.95 and a increased cost of his overall package £30 per quarter and a new 18 month contract.

I have requested copies of the recording that they have "found" and questioned if they have actually read the complaint.

So at least they are continuing their customer service like they started.

Hi

As there seems to be some confusion here, it may be worth sending BT a SAR and demand they they supply all call recordings. It may also be worth contacting them separately to ensure the calls that have been recorded are not deleted as some companies do this regularly.

BT are stating one thing, you are saying another. The SAR should sort that out.

You don't need anything to complain to OFCOM as they don't deal with individual problems but if you have to escalate to the Telecoms Ombudsman, you will need as much evidence as you can get.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Well I received a reply fro emailing the CEO of BT.

Basically they have stated that the internet was not updated at the time of the call. The update occurred approximately 10days latter online, neither myself or my Dad updated the account. I requested how the account got updated and by whom and how. They have stated that they have very little information and have no idea how the update occurred.

Call be suspicious but I find this very handy on their part that an update was applied by a mysterious person unknown without our permission and strangely they have no idea how this occurred.

Companies like BT must have logs on these type of thing yet they have confirmed this information is not available.

Looks like they haven't even bothered to find out who did what. All they have done is look at dates which does nothing for anyone.

Did you send the SAR? If so, the account logs may show more than you are being told.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE