Wage deduction

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2879 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I may be on a loser here but will try and explain as short as possible November 2015 I thought I was on annual leave but was contacted half way through the day by my workplace to say I was meant to be at work . I said I was on leave, but was told I had cancelled it 7 weeks previously - I had genuinely forgot that I had cancelled the leave . So when I returned to work the following day I had a meeting with a manager and he told me I would be deducted a days pay , my defence was that If I had been contacted at the shift start time I could have been at work in under 30 mins , had a late report and not a days pay deducted . Staff who don't turn up for work are normally rung within 15 mins of a shift start to find out why they have not turned up - I was not contacted for 6 hours The pay was not deducted , so I assumed my defence had been taken into account fast foreward to the payday at the end of april 2016 and I see I have had a days wages deducted. I contacted payroll who tell me they only received the paperwork in the middle of march ! So I had a days wages deducted from an incident more than 6 months previously with no warning ? Worth putting in a grievance ? or should I just suck it up seeing as I was the one who forgot I had cancelled my leave but my resourcing team failed to contact me until half way through the day to ask where I was ?

Just so I am really clear - you want to be paid for a day's not working? Is that correct?

If it was your company, would you pay you?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Just so I am really clear - you want to be paid for a day's not working? Is that correct?

I understand the not getting paid bit , my "defence" is that i was told it would be deducted at the end of December and after i highlighted to my line manager on how they had not followed there own policy when someone does not turn up for a shift and that other people have just had a day deducted from there leave entitlement , rather than a days pay deducted ....as the money was not taken out at the end of december i assumed it had been resolved - i couldnt confirm this as said manager has been off sick for the past 4 months

After speaking to another manager he cant give an answer as to why payroll were only told about it 4 months after the event, it seems someone just forgot to send the email . but also admitted that to not contact someone until 6 hours into a shift was unacceptable and should have been done much sooner - not just because i should have been at work but for welfare reasons..

If a member staff does turn up for work when they are meant to be on duty , its common place to send someone round to where they live if they cannot be contacted by phone - but normally within an hour of there shift start ......and that is done by our resourcing centre - not someone sending a message half way through the day to your facebook account ...

as you surmise, you have no case due to their failure to implement a nanny policy to make you turn up at work. I would drop it. You are an adult and must take the consequences of your own actions.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

UPDATE :

Emailed my points above to a senior manager who agreed that the 6 month delay in the deduction was unacceptable and has advised payroll to refund the days pay

PS : the reason we have a "nanny policy to check on people when they dont turn up for work " is unfortunately in the emergency services we have higher than normal rates of PTSD and suicides :(

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. Its called looking after your employees and not causing them undue financial hardship.

It was clearly a misunderstanding and you dont punish people for that. Companies can afford to do this. Individuals cant afford to have this done to them.