Manager preventing me moving departments

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2904 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, not been on here for a while, I have been living a fairly simple life, albeit still struggling financially but just about managing with a bit of juggling.

Anyone who knows me will know I was in a bit of a mess last year after husband walked out after 22 years of marriage, I had no Job, no money, a house that was falling apart, a medical scare and a broken heart.

I feel I have made progress since then in all areas and am doing well at work.. I'm really just after opinions, I'm not intending to rock the boat at work but would be interested in what others think about something that happened recently.

About 4 weeks ago a new lady joined the company I work for in a managerial role (different dept) quite by chance we got chatting and the conversation ended up with her offering me (and confirming via email) a position with her team. The days suited me better than my current role (I work every weekend) and it would be a permenant role, not seasonal as my current one is.

As you can imagine, being on my own this was fantastic news as I really cannot afford to be without an income out of season, and there was more scope for overtime at the weekends whereas at the moment I never have that opportunity.

I knew my current manager wasn't going to like it, but I was shocked at just how angry she was at the news, I had hoped that although she'd be sad to loose me, she would at least have appreciated the fact that it was more to do with financial security than anything else.

She told me to go away, then promptly spoke with the new manager, coming back to me later telling me I had got it wrong and there was no role there, and certainly not permenant, (my email says otherwise though, 'I can create a role to match your hours') I'm in no doubt the role is there, having had that confirmed by the people on her team who the new manager had previously told I would be joining, and pleased I was.

My current manager kind of emotionally blackmailed me into agreeing to stay in her dept,, I was very upset and felt guilty for betraying her, with all thoughts about how I'll manage in winter without an income went out of the window.

I emailed the new manager that evening telling her I still want to accept the role, but understand if she feels she doesn't want me now bad feelings have been created. I have had no response.

I feel like I've been treated unfairly by both managers, and if Im honest I don't trust my current manager, she does have the ability to make me feel useless and has done on many ocassions. Now suddenly she's only looking out for me!

I appreciate Im fairly new to the company, but there really is no one else ahead of the queue for that role as my manager abruptly pointed out to me, it is a new role being created to sort out the mess in that department the previous manager left behind, if I'm honest I was perfect for it, as I'm probably the only one with both the manual and administration skills needed for the role.

Feel so disappointed.

What are your views?

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

have you tried explaining to the manager of the other post that your current manager is bullying you to stay and that your withdrawing of the application was a result of coercion by this person? Unless they get along like a house on fire the new manager will see from the contact she has had over this that you speak the truth. The only problem now is that you may well be seen as someone who cannot make a decision and stick to it and wilts under the slightest pressure so you are going to have to do or say something to allay these fears.

No I haven't, but I think she probably deduced that herself, I'm pretty sure she wasn't approached about the issue in the most friendliest of manners.

I'm not worried about what people may or may not think about me staying where Iam, those who knew about the offer, knew I was really excited about the new challenge, so it's obvious it wasn't my choice.

You did make an interesting point though, not something I thought about until you mentioned it.

Thanks for your opinion, really appreciate your views

Maddie