Purpose of group interviews

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2898 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a group interview a few years ago. I still don't fully understand it, but there was a massive mirror on one of the four walls, and looking back now I imagine it was a 2-way mirror. We sat around a table for about 20 mins before any management turned up, so I imagine they were watching how we interacted with each other, who was the natural leader, who was the weak one, etc.

So I guess the purpose of group interviews is to see what floats and what sinks, who can work together as a team, who is in it for themselves.

It's a bit brutal, but quite sensible from an employer's perspective really if you think about it.

sometimes, sometimes not. Listen, look interested, ask questions, remember people's names, see if anyone is trying to speak and not getting a chance and help them out. Thse are usually the skills sought. Unless it's a managment job, in which case, leadership!

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I've stopped going to group interviews. They're a waste of time for the jobseeker.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

They reduce the time spent making the wrong decisions but can only be valid in a small range of jobs. I went to one once, it seemed to be like some therapy session. The purpose was to find suitable candidates for 2 jobs but they needed different qualities so I couldnt see why they used that screening method.

A group interview is like an orgy, but with the performance anxiety and without all the fun.

I've stopped going to group interviews. They're a waste of time for the jobseeker.

Not exactly a constructive approach towards a method of recruitment that is widely used.

What are your objections to them? Why are they a "waste of time"?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Not exactly a constructive approach towards a method of recruitment that is widely used.

What are your objections to them? Why are they a "waste of time"?

Are you serious? What has the constructive approach got to do with my time? I've been to almost hundreds of them and they all revealed a waste of my time. How do you construct on that?

You have not stated *WHY* you hold the opinion you do.

"What are your objections to them? Why are they a "waste of time"?"

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Sorry to hear that lostfaith. Keep plugging away.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

no for job interview - very disappointed not given chance as had worked there before hoped been a good thing

ALso im sorry to hear you did not get the responce you were hoping for.

Did you or are you going to try and chase some feedback? That way some good can come out of it

People are using my temp work as excuses that not shown commitment enough - I have always been in work long as I can - only just being forced with constructive dismissal due to an injury no fault of my own - employers fault and forced out and name calling - discrimination six years ago.

Ok I can see how people may use that as a negative.

You need to find a way to sell it as a positive.

"By being a temp in various different environments I have proven my ability to adapt to any organisation and work well with different teams." Just one example