minky93

Landlord changed locks & some of our goods still in property***Resolved***

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1163 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi!

I need advice please, we have rented a bungalow from the same landlord for 15 years we originally rented the property through a letting agent paid a deposit & a months rent in advance. We needed to contact the landlord & the phone number he gave us was no longer in use so I contacted the letting agent for his new number & was told the landlord was dealing with his own property's & they no longer had his details. For 10 years we have had no contact with the landlord no phone number or address & all repairs to the property we have had to do ourselves last year alone we have spent around £800.00 on the property.

The property is riddled with damp which we spent money on as well trying to rectify. Then out of the blue at the end of last year he turned up at our house just as we were carrying out the renovations, of course he was pleased, we got his new mobile number but he would not give an address we told him about the damp issue but he did nothing about it, the gas engineer who did the annual gas check said the gas fire had severe heat damage and needed replacing & he did nothing about that either.

Then at the beginning of this year we had the chance to buy a bungalow from a friend and we jumped at the chance, I contacted our landlord at the end of March to tell him that we were moving out at the end of April he said we were making a big mistake at our age etc he didn't want us to leave. My husband asked what he was going to do with the property and he told him he was going to leave it empty until he decided.

When we were clearing the house for the move we moved the wardrobes to take with us BUT underneath the robes we found white fungus growing on the carpet which had been eaten away by the fungus, now we knew where the smell was coming from, we could not take the wardrobes or anything else out of the bedrooms with us including the mattresses from the beds which were also covered in mold patches underneath so everything had to be dismantled and taken to the tip with a small trailer which we borrowed from a friend who uses it for his work & we could only borrow it every now & then, so instead of just moving furniture etc to our new home which would have been quick as we hired a removal van, we had tip runs which took ages to empty the house.

Our rent was paid on the 1st of every month so I cancelled the direct debit for May as we moved to our new home on 22nd April, my husband took as few days off work for the move but as I said the tip runs took longer than expected & we had only just finished taking the stuff to the tip on the 9th of May & were going to go to the house to clean it on the 10th May & pick up two Virgin Media Boxes which have to be sent back to them or they are going to charge us £360.00.

My husband went to the house to clean it yesterday & pick up the boxes and found the locks had been changed. Our next door neighbour said the landlord was kicking the door & had a bunch of keys in his hand trying them in the lock so she went outside to see what the commotion was & he said we had changed the locks which we haven't done she told him we were coming that day to clean up & would obviously have the keys (they are good friends) so he started hurling abuse at her and he went away and brought a locksmith with him.

In hindsight we should have let him know what we were doing but we had a lot going on as when we moved into our new property the combi boiler packed up and we were without water or heating for over a week, I am disabled & was unable to contribute a lot with the move so it was all down to my husband & a friend.

We have rung the mobile number he gave us & it is going straight to answer phone & my husband left messages saying we need to be able to get the Virgin Media Boxes but he is not replying to our messages. If we don't get the boxes Virgin will charge us £360.00 together with an early cancellation fee of £268.00 as they don't cover the area we have moved to or we would have stayed with them.

I have not got that kind of money as I am a pensioner & it has all gone on buying the new property & buying new furniture to replace the ones that were rotten, I rang the police who's advice was to pay Virgin, so they are no help.

Please can someone give me some advice? I am not bothered about getting the deposit back, I just want the boxes.

Thank You!

Edited by Andyorch
Paragraphs

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

tell virgin they have been stolen. Go back to the police and ask for a crime reference number for the theft of your property, the person who told you to pay virgin wasnt a police officer but a civvy desk jockey and wouldnt know any better.

You should be bothered about getting the deposit back so write a letter to the landlord at the address you have just left if you dont have another one and let him know you will be syuing him for it if it is not returned within 14 days. People who just let these things slide do a disservice to the next poor sod who has to crodd the path of people like your LL so you should never let them get away with it. You can bill him for the money you spent on the property if you have receipts and again sue for this amount if it is for dereliction rather than cosmetic things.

OP, you had an AST which should have contained 'Address for Service of Notices' or poss an update provided by LL when he terminated LA Contract. A letter is much more reliable and legally acceptable than a mobile phone.

Did you even serve due NTQ before cancelling DD and app 'abandoning' property (from LLs point of view)?

If yes, when was it served & date of expiry?

Did you have LLs prior written consent for the £800 worth of changes you made?

ericsbrother Many thanks for your reply I have sent him a text asking for the virgin boxes plus my deposit back, I have also drafted a letter addressed to him, saying the same as the text message which I will post through the letter box at our old address and I am going to get one of the neighbours to witness us putting it through the letter box.

The work that was done on the property was to secure the back of the property with a fence and a gate, as it was open and anyone could walk down the drive and into our back garden this was done around 10 years ago with his permission because we had something stolen & I did not feel secure. The original fence was destroyed during the heavy gales as we live by the sea and it gets very blustery and we had to replace the fence & gate late last year.

The other work we had to carry out was in the wood built conservatory, it started to rain in through the wooden door very badly ruining the cushion flooring we could not find a replacement door because of the weird size and paid a joiner to repair the door as it was rotten at the bottom which cost us £60.00 plus materials but it still rained in, the door opened up onto our drive & if we wanted to go into our back garden we had to go out of the door & through the gate so we paid to have a section of the conservatory overlooking our garden taken out and the section where the door was removed & replaced by the other panel we had a upvc frame built to go into the missing panel overlooking the garden & a upvc door installed leading out into the garden, this was done more for our convenience than necessity.

Again thank you so much for your reply and advice.

kind regards

Edited by Andyorch
Paragraphs.

Reccomend any letter is posted from the post office.

You can post normal first or second class but request free proof of postage which you should keep with a copy for future reference

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Minky if you could try to paragraph your posts...that's the second lot I have had to correct.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Does LL actually live at your old address now? If not your letters will not be 'served'.

Hi

As for the Landlord have you had a chat with your local council as to whether private landlord need to be register (as most local councils require this now but not all so you need to check), if they do then inform them of the landlords actions.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Send any letters First Class, prepaid and correctly addressed.

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your replies, the text message worked, I quoted the relevant part below, in case it helps someone else.

I do not know if you are aware but it is AGAINST the law to withhold these items from us as per the Torts (Interference with Goods Act) 1977 details are below:-

Clearing out the tenant’s goods

Property that the tenant leaves behind still belongs to the tenant and normally should be returned to the tenant.

If you throw away property belonging to the tenant which subsequently turns out to be of value, you may be subject to a claim from the tenant for damages.

The Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977 states that the landlord can dispose of goods left behind - as long as you follow a certain procedure:-

• Firstly, send a letter by recorded delivery to the tenant stating that you intend to sell/dispose of the goods and give the following information:

• Your name and address (where you can be contacted regarding the tenant's collection)

• Details of the items held

• The place where they're held

• The date on which you intend to sell the goods (this must give the tenant a reasonable amount of time to collect the goods, say two-four weeks)

• You must make sure you keep a copy of this letter.

• If you're concerned your tenant won't accept the recorded delivery, consider hand delivering the letter so they can't claim they didn't receive it.

We got a phone call off him last night, he has put the house up for sale & is going to ring the estate agent to tell them to let us have the key & he is sending a cheque for the deposit.

Again thank you!

Well done minky...I will mark your thread as resolved....

Regards

Andy