Scottish Power Boiler care

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2877 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All ,

Looking for some advice regarding a current issue with Scottish Power and my boiler cover.......

My boiler has developed a pressure loss and water loss which SP has put it down to the heat exchanger and due too the boiler age 8 years in there professional option the boiler is beyond economical repair (BER) but can't tell me how they reached that decision

The boiler is excellent condition as it has always been serviced mostly by SP and the engineer's boss asked him on the phone regarding the excellent condition

I made a complaint to SP and was contacted by a member of the complaints team who just said " in there professional option it was BER " and won't provide any document to back this up ....

What I do know is the parts will cost around £600 which may sound a lot of money to repair a boiler but taking into account to replace the boiler for the same spec and have it installed - which SP don't do would cost in the region of £1500+

I also asked them what was the definition of BER which they couldn't tell but me looking at the law directory and other sources this is normally based on 80%. Looking thru my t&c's there is a condition which mention about BER but doesn't state a figure therefore I assume 80% is the figure.

As the two figures are no where near the BER threshold I can't see why the boiler won't be repaired under my policy...

The other thing is SP didn't advise if I can still use the boiler ????

What are my rights as a consumer to request the following

[*]Engineers report

[*]A copy of the formula used to determine BER

[*]Copy of parts required to make boiler right

I would be grateful for any information you can provide to enable to further challenge SP

You can certainly ask for them and I would have thought they should be able to provide you with more details, although they won't be obliged to.

The annoying thing with these boiler care schemes is that they are not covered by any Ombudsman service, which makes complaining tricky.

I think your best way forward here is going to be to complain, set out your reasons why you believe the repair to be feasible and not BER and ask why they think it is.

Have you asked for a second opinion? A local gas safe engineer should be able to come and give you a quote for work, which you could use as part of your claim / complaint.

What does the term about BER specifically say?

Had similar issues a few years a go with EON - decided to replace boiler and then self insure - worked out cheaper than the cost of the boiler care over the life of the boiler.

Firstly Thank you for your input.......

I have spoken to Ideal the boiler manufacturer and they have emailed me back with a fixed price cost of £420.00 to replace the part , so can use this cost against SP .....

Like you say I'm probably going to replace the boiler but its the principal that I feel the need to complain ..

Regard what they say about BER , I found this in my T&C's

We may cancel the contract immediately

by giving written notice in the following

circumstances:

(b) if in our technical and professional

opinion the cost of carrying out a

necessary repair to your:

(B) boiler is more than the residual

value of your boiler by reference to

its age and condition;

I would imagine I should get a letter in the post but speaking to customer complaints they stated I need to speak to customer services as I'm on a fixed deal they would need to adjust my tariff ??

Im definitely going to push them as much as I can .....keep you posted on the outcome

Thanks