Unsafe work vehicle

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2900 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. I have a slight problem regarding the company van I am employed to drive to make deliverys I have been reporting problems with the brakes ( making grinding noise ) but was told by boss they have been checked but problem or noise was still there and although I'm no mechanic all did not sound right but after a total of reporting 5 times was told again there was no problem and basically told to stop pestering, anyway today brakes totally disintegrated and failed to work I have pics of broken parts that fell out onto road, luckily no one was harmed but had I been moving at speed or needed to emergency brake who no what could have happened.... My question is can I report the company anywhere for this miss conduct or even sue for potentially putting a killing machine on the road.

Kind regards morph

Non what so ever when confronted about the potential of what could have happened boss just blanked me and company's only concirns was getting a hire van sorted for next days deliverys

Regards morph

YOU are responsible for the vehicle when you are driving it so you should be very careful about accepting someone elses promises so you will need to name names at the company to the boss. You can report the company to the HSE for the dangerous occurrence but make sure you fill out a report at work under RIDDOR and if they wont provide you with the form then you can report that to the HSE as well. The Department of Transport has a branch that looks at commercial vehicle safety but I'm not sure if your van will get their attention. You cannot be lawfully dismissed for raising a H&S matter nor for reporting them to the authorities so if they make noises about disciplinary action let them know that they arent allowed to and you will be seeing the matter to its conclusion if they do anything.

Thank you for your replies it is only a small company and my original concirns were to the managing director this is the second issue I have had the first was in February when I found out the vehicle mot had been expired for 2 months I think this will be a tough one as his attitude is if you don't like it leave.

Regards morph

I will persu this matter as soon as I next see him and will report bk with the out come I doubt if he has any riddor forms they don't have any accident books no contracts statements of employment hand books or health and safty training

Then sue for constructive dismissal.

I wouldn't go down the route of resigning and suing for constructive dismissal, there are very difficult to prove.

Write a formal letter (grievance) to your employer about his relax attitude to H & S and demand that he pays attention to H & S regulations.

Also express your deep anger that your life and others were put in danger.

At the moment though you can't sue as no loss occurred.