Under investigation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2899 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Background

Work night shifts in a city centre location. Work for a leisure travel firm

Incident

During a shift mid April a colleague and myself witnessed a sexual assault and a GBH attack section 16. I am limited to info due to ongoing proceedings.

After the attack we immediately rushed to the aid of the injured party and sought assistance as we witnessed events we were asked to do a street identification, we were then detained and taken to the police station to provide an immediate statement due to seriousness of events witnessed.

We were absent for a period of 3 hours.

We made contact with a senior member of staff at 7am to advise them of events.

Issues

Investigation meeting for misconduct for leaving the office unattended and not registering a break when we left the office.

Advice on how to proceed needed. This investigation has been brought 3 weeks later.

I have since conducted an identity parade and will be a witness in crown court shortly

That is ridiculous. The fact they having a hearing given the circumstances is crazy. Nothing will happen once they realise, surely to God. I assume they already know the details on the incident?

Yes they were made aware of the issue at 7am. Which I considered to be a reasonable time to make contact considering the incident had no business impact.

2 days prior to this investigation a staff member was caught leaving work early so I don't know if this has been raised the fact that jxxx and myself left the office for 3 hours.

They also know I've conducted an identity parade Furthermore the area as sealed off by police the whole of following day directly outside the office.

have you been trained or advised in procedure for what to do if you have to close the office?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

two of them left the building unattended, not just one

neither advised the boss until after the event

pretty likely to be a breach of the rules in some way, the key point is were procedures in place, were they advised otf procedures, and did they follow them

legal standpoint, not moral, obviously. But you don't put 24 hour security on buildings people feel 100% safe in....

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

two of them left the building unattended, not just one

neither advised the boss until after the event

pretty likely to be a breach of the rules in some way, the key point is were procedures in place, were they advised otf procedures, and did they follow them

legal standpoint, not moral, obviously. But you don't put 24 hour security on buildings people feel 100% safe in....

Times of incident 2am to 5am

Senior staff member informed at 7am followed by an email within 24 hours.

I'm not going to be petty on this but when we initially left at 1.55 we were on lunch break,

I was 1.45 to 2.30 and colleague was 1.30 to 2.15

You still haven't told us if you were advised of procedures, and if you followed them. That's the single most important thing to focus on.

the police can only detain you if you are a suspect under arrest. They can request you go with them but they can't make you!

We stated we needed to go back to work and we're told no uve just witnessed a serious crime we need your statement so your detained for that purpose at this time we were locked in back of police car.

Driven to station both interviewed and then left to walk back to work

It's perfecty possible to give a statement somewhere other than the station; I think the officer was just trying to make his own life easier!

I've given statements at my house and in my place of work. I think you've been a bit naive there.

It's perfecty possible to give a statement somewhere other than the station; I think the officer was just trying to make his own life easier!

I've given statements at my house and in my place of work. I think you've been a bit naive there.

First time dealings I know for next time we were met by cid as soon as we arrived back in station

I have seen witnesses"detained" for the purpose of taking a statement.

This is justified by the police (if ever asked) because the witness needs to be interviewed asap and have as less outside interference as possible.

For example, you witness a guy murdering another guy.

Because of the shock of seeing such thing you can't even remember how the murderer looked like.

You speak to someone about it and they tell you that the murderer was of a particular ethnicity, height, built etc...

Your brain will picture that and might trick you into a false memory: Something not true but that you think it's really happened.

That's why they try to contain witnesses.

Op, you should get down to the police station, explain that you are in trouble for leaving work and ask them to write a letter to your employer explaining that you were not allowed back in the office.

Maybe they will deny this thinking that you'll sue for false imprisonment, but usually they're very good at pleasing witnesses, especially if they need them to convict the offender

You can be arrested for failing to assist an officer in the executuion of his duty so saying you were detained by circumstance ir reasonable. It may be worth speaking to the officer dealing with the case and pointing out the problem you have and I bet that someone will warn you bosses they may well find themselves accused of failing to assist a constable etc.. (they wont arrest boss really but will make their life uncomfortable if they want to- amazing how many faults on a car the black rats ( traffic police ) can find.)

I honestly believe that this is a joke.

Except the boss is trying to get rid of you for something else this is simply not true.

Do as King 12345 says get a letter from the police and see how this goes.

You witnessed a serious incident and you were in shock so you can't be expected to follow procedure even if there is one.

People suffer PTSD after witnessing serious incidents and yet your boss expects you to follow procedure!

I honestly don't believe this.

To put this to bed as the ongoing police investigation and forthcoming crown court case is enough to deal with.

I have signed a record of conversation stating I will store numbers in my mobile phone and if events like this occur again make immediate contact.

They also documented they have a duty of care aswell as business impact.

It was not mine or my colleagues decision to make and had we had the decency to contact them they would have advised the police we could attend individually

so just a briefing of procedures? no warning? Seems like a decent outcome.