Making an offer

Guest iolande
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest iolande

Is it possible as a claimant to make an offer to only one defendant and not the other? Or is an offer to one automatically an offer to all?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest iolande

Hi there,

I haven't posted it before. Basically two of us are being sued for an amount but the other defendant has been made an offer that if he drops the case then they will pay him the amount of the claim. Apparently they just want to sue me and make sure I don't get any (I've been told all this verbally of course).

Hi there,

I haven't posted it before. Basically two of us are being sued for an amount but the other defendant has been made an offer that if he drops the case then they will pay him the amount of the claim. Apparently they just want to sue me and make sure I don't get any (I've been told all this verbally of course).

Thank you for that.

I expect the legal people will be along later. But to help them advises the claimant an organisation or a private individual?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Guest iolande

Hi. Its a private individual. And family member of the other defendant.

Guest iolande

So far there is the court papers been issued, I have the demand (gave 2 weeks to pay and then went straight to court), a document the other defendant apparently signed way back when. That's it.

Guest iolande

Apparently there is an agreement that if they agree not to contest then after the trial the money will be returned to them. What I was wondering was if they are allowed to enter into an agreement like that with the other defendant.

Guest iolande

I think they are going to pretend that they are party to it and then benefit afterwards

Guest iolande

I'm wondering if they have found some legal loophole whereby they can make an offer to the other defendant for the monies yet still make a claim on them with me. I.e. get the other defendant removed and leave me holding the baby so to speak

Yes, it is possible for the claimant to make a settlement offer to only one defendant, and they do not have to extend that offer to you.

The more important question is whether an offer made to the other defendant could increase your liability.

There are two types of debt in English law. You have "joint and several" liability which means the claimant can recover the whole amount from only one defendant. If the debt is "joint and several", they don't need to make any arrangements with the other defendant because they could recover the whole thing from you anyway. You could, potentially, sue the other defendant for a contribution though. Then you have "several" liability which means the claimant can recover only a particular share from each defendant. If this is a case of "several" liability, you are only liable for a share of the debt and hence it doesn't matter what arrangements they make with the other defendant.

You will need to provide more details regarding the nature of this debt and the stage you are at with court proceedings if you want to receive a clearer answer as to where you stand.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Guest iolande

I guess it all doesn't matter anyway as I can't afford a lawyer and I can't afford to travel to the UK (and can't anyway as I have small children and I'm a single parent). The judge has given me a week to do one or the other or will enter a default judgement. There goes any chance I have of giving my children a stable home.

Which country do you live in if you cannot travel to the UK and also where did the claim get sent to if not in UK?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Guest iolande

Australia in both cases. Too far/too long to leave my children. And who would I leave them with? And I'd have to bring another adult to the UK to look after them if I want there. I'm broke and in debt from paying lawyers. I asked the judge for an exemption and he replied he'd rather see the case concluded then give me extra time to arrange finances. Sorry, I'm feeling a bit depressed from it all :-(

Guest iolande

N1. We've had the pre-trial hearing and I have a couple of days before I have to inform the court whether I will go ahead. I asked for more time so I could raise finances, but was told no. Trial is in 5 weeks. I just ran out of money when the solicitor suddenly gave me a huge up-front fee (I had another solicitor at the firm, but she left and no one told me and they consequently were not trying to settle the case as requested and then told me at the last moment that the pre-trial was only a few days away. Quite unprofessional)

Hello again, thank you for the information.

I see there are people hovering on your thread, but I have a question please. As I understand it, you didn't sign the paper for the gift/loan, am I right?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum