• Tweets

• Just like last time, Evri requested more time so they have another 2 weeks
    • Just an update, finance company rejected my complaint saying they've found damage but can't tell when it's from even though I've shown them how the front end is misaligned in the advert photos compared to another identical model car they're selling.  Dealership now want to charge me to get the car brought back to me but will only discuss over the phone which seems off. They're also saying no damaged was picked up by JLR main dealership before I purchased it but my local JLR dealerships till this day haven't mentioned the damage to me because they don't go into stuff like that for some reason lol  Ombudsman case is still open, not sure if I should leave the car with them or just pay to have it brought back.
    • Hi all, I get esa and pip,  I have £1200 in arrears that I owed my ex partner, I have been paying £100 per month to clear this debt that was setup by standing order, as I have complex needs I forgot about this standing order and have overpaid mainternance by around £4000, I told CSA I am happy for my ex partner to keep overpayment I do not wish to seek anything back, however they have declined to take of the sum of £1200 and are still saying I owe this to my ex partner. In my second question it was announced that pip would stop for mental health, I don't understand the link below Disability benefits system to be reviewed as PM outlines "moral mission" to reform welfare - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK The Prime Minister has outlined a package of sweeping reforms to put work at the heart of welfare and... Does this mean my money is going to stop? I have spoken to my key worker and I am already recieveing help from mental health team and complex needs team along with connections and mind, I just don't get what is going on.
    • No, i haven't had one for about 10+ years. I am thinking of just going to the court in person and pay at the counter
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Natwest - Judgment in Default - joint bank account ***Claim Discontinued***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2546 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

worm

when was this?

thinking of a recentish con credit act change re if joint and regulated, then any claim wld have to be against both names? ie cant then 'sue' one or the other, has to be both.

eg re a joint account regulated matter; s185 con act? ie s185 (1)(a) ie 'done to both'. or is that not applicable in the circs?

Why isn't this the case?

Because the debt is joint and several and it's a technical procedural point and a costs issue mostly in my opinion.

Proceedings can normally be consolidated by the Court if necessary under CPR 3.1(2)(g) but the Claimant is likely to lose out on their costs for your wife's claim.

Your case is slightly different as your claim is currently stayed so consolidation probably won't happen unless an application to lift the stay is also made.

Like I said, include it in your wife's Defence IF a claim is ever filed (it might not be) but don't solely rely on it.

Worm lets try to get this thread back into perspective.....we are all aware of what joint and several is and its associated liabilities and who can be sued.

Your debt is with the Original Creditor that has issued a claim against you only and that is still pending.The " interlopers " that you refer to I assume are only acting and trying to collect on behalf of the Claimant against your better half.

They will most probably be unaware that a claim is pending against you only...in fact the claimant has probably also forget they have issued it...so ignore the " Interlopers " they cant do anything litigation wise as the debt has not been assigned.....only the Creditor can instigate which party they want to litigate against.

Should they decide to issue a claim against your wife...which I see as very unlikely for the reasons I have already stated and the costs element that Gany has referred to...then you have a couple of options.....

Make application to lift the stay on the pending claim against you and strike out or continue to fight it and add the the above as a further argument to your defence....or defend the new claim using the first claim reasons and the further harassment as a basis of defence.

The pending/stayed claim will be very useful as a stay of proceedings in UK Courts is a court order which suspends the whole of the litigation or part of it. The effect of the stay is that no party may take any step in the litigation until the stay is lifted....including further chasing of the debt from another joint party whilst they already have a stayed claim on the same debt.

Also you can throw in Related Proceedings:

There are related proceedings which should be heard and determined before the present proceedings progress, as the decision from the other proceedings may affect the outcome of the present proceedings.

I personally would ignore it all...until the claimant tries to instigate further.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 1 year later...

These rotters have applied for and received a judgment in default despite the claim being stayed (for over 2 years) and me not receiving a copy of the bank's application for the stay to be lifted or for default judgment.

The stay automatically occurred because despite me not filing a defence the bank did not file for a judgment in default. The bank actually took out the claim against me despite there being an ongoing formal complaint raised be me in relation to the matter.

The bank admitted that the claim should not have been pursued with the complaint ongoing and most importantly two recorded voice calls (with bank and their solicitors)

I expressed my concerns about me not submitting a defence as I was awaiting the outcome of the complaint and then the bank submitting an application for a judgement as no defence was filed. In both recordings they said they wouldn't do this and that they would afford me 2 weeks to submit a defence if they were to continue.

I continue to claim that there is no debt outstanding and have a solid defence but now I'm faced with a judgement from Northampton CCBC!!

Am I entitled to

1) be made aware of an application to have a stay lifted and an application for judgment in default,

2) a hearing in relation to these, and

3) apply for the judgment to be set aside due to a failure to follow process and because I am in a position to successfully defend the claim AND counterclaim?

£255 set aside now..

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

1) No.

2) No.

3) Yes.

I t will cost you (£155?) to make your application.

To prevent 1) and 2) : you should have filed your defence once you were able to.

But the bank told me they wouldn't apply for judgment without first giving me an opportunity to defend?

Also, after the original 28 days to submit defence had elapsed (I.e. while the review of complaint was ongoing) and then after 6 months had elapsed and claim was stayed do I even have the right to just submit a defence or is permission required?

So you are confirming that neither the court or claimant are required in any way to inform me that an application for lifting a stay or for judgment in default are required to be provided to defendant? How so?

Looks like £255 then to have this set aside as there is no outstanding debt!!!!

I have now seen a copy of the application for lifting of stay and judgment

the witness statement within contains outright lies and the inclusion of prejudiced information

that was marked in correspondence 'without prejudice'.

Can anyone confirm what the penalty for entering false information into proceedings is,

is it covered under any criminal statute or common law?

Also, is entering prejudiced information punishable too, or is that just a telling off from judge?

Many thanks in advance

In most, if not all, common law countries,

what this means is that negotiations by parties and letters sent to each other labelled ‘without prejudice’ are privileged,

inadmissible as evidence and should not be considered by the judge or arbitrator for deciding the factual issues.

They can be disclosed during the proceedings only if both parties consent to their disclosure

and are admissible either when there is a waiver by the maker or if the communication falls into the several categories of exceptions (both of these aspects will be covered later in this article).

In Singapore, s 23 of the Evidence Act (‘Act’) (Cap 97), states:

‘In civil cases, no admission is relevant if it is made either upon express condition that evidence of it is not to be given, or under circumstances from which the court can infer that the parties agreed together that evidence of it should not be given’.

The policy of the courts and legislation in common law countries in recognising the ‘without prejudice’ rule is to encourage parties engaged in disputes to try to settle their disputes as far as possible without resorting to litigation.

Conversely, the parties should not be discouraged in genuine attempts at peaceful resolution by any trepidation that their communications during negotiations may be used to their prejudice in due course during legal proceedings.

The other policy and rationale for the rule is that there is an implied agreement between the parties to not refer to settlement negotiations during proceedings.

There are many cases that have examined, analyzed and confirmed these principles.

It is not the purpose of this article to go into any elaborate and historical examination of the authorities.

However, if you would like to do any detailed reading on this subject,

the following are some of the well known common law authorities:

Cutts v Head [1984] 1 All ER 597; Re Daintrey ex p Holt [1893] 2 QB 116; Norwich Union Life Insurance Society v Tony Waller (1984) 270 EG 42; Rush & Tompkins v Greater London Council & Anor [1988] WLR 939; Unilever v The Procter & Gamble [2000] FSR 344; Lim Tjoen Kong v A-B Chew Investments [1991] SLR 188.

The general principle as restated by Lord Griffiths in Rush & Tompkins, is that the rule applies ‘to exclude all negotiations genuinely aimed at settlement whether oral or in writing from being given in evidence’.

The converse is that certain limitations and exceptions must govern the protection afforded to ‘without prejudice’ communications, or communications bearing this label, or else the privilege will become the subject of abuse.

These limitations and exceptions will be dealt with further in this article.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

So now you have seen for yourself that you cannot trust anything yours or any other bank say.

Gather your evidence together and apply to set aside as advised

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Without prejudice is one of those legal phrases which are often used in casual conversation, but what does it really mean?

Without prejudice is a useful way of protecting your position in a dispute. Say you are a landlord and have a dispute with your tenant about a broken fridge freezer.

You are pretty sure that they damaged it during a party, they are positive that it was already broken when they took the flat over. It was brand new and to get a replacement is going to cost you £600.

You are very busy right now and don’t really want the hassle of dealing with a court claim. You would be prepared to accept just £300 just to get rid of the problem so you can move on.

However if the matter can’t be settled and you DO have go to court, you would want to claim the whole £600. If you offer to accept £300 now, will this prejudice your claim? Will the Judge say “Well if they were prepared to accept £300 for it back in August, their claim for £600 must be grossly inflated and should be disallowed?”

The answer is that if the offer is made ‘without prejudice’ he won’t (or shouldn’t) ever see it. Because without prejudice offers are confidential, and information about them should not be given to the Judge (or arbitrator if this is an arbitration) during the hearing.

The only time the Judge gets to hear about the offer is after Judgment is made. If the Judge, quite independently, comes to the conclusion that the landlords case is not the best, but that he should at least be entitled to £300, the landlord can say ‘Well I made an offer to settle for that back in August, but the other side rejected it”.

Then the Judge may decide to make a costs order, ordering the tenant to pay more in legal costs than he would normally, on the basis that the tenant has been wasting his time as the case could have been settled earlier. The courts are so busy now, and so underfunded, that wasting the Judge’s time is almost a capital offence.

Using without prejudice in legal cases

The example above is only a small fictitious case to illustrate the point. In big litigation cases run by solicitors, there are always negotiations to settle (and in fact most cases are settled before trial). The solicitors will generally have two completely separate sets of correspondence, the ‘open’ correspondence and the ‘without prejudice’ correspondence.

So for example the solicitors might write quite an aggressive letter setting out all that is wrong about the other side’s case, and then in the same envelope include a ‘without prejudice’ letter offering to settle the claim for £5,000!

If the attempts to settle fail, and the claim comes to trial, the open correspondence is generally put in a bundle for the Judge to see. It is very important when doing this that none of the ‘without prejudice’ correspondence is included by mistake, as if it is and the Judge sees it, in some cases there may have to be a re-trial. Which could be very expensive.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Thanks!

I'm applying to set aside today but wanted to know if there are any implications for the bank

and their solicitors for including prejudiced information to support their claim

that there is an admission of an outstanding debt,

which there isn't.

And for knowingly including factually incorrect information?

For now the objective is to set aside which will basically put the case back to the beginning again and remove the ccj.

The evidence you will need can be notarised in the application as reasons for set aside but dont have to be detailed, just to the point.

The judge will not want to read a 20 page document, he/she will only want to know you have a basis to set aside and have the case re heard.

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Your never going to change the industries malpractices with this so you just need to concentrate on getting the result that you want

I have found the same thing in my case where the DCA knowingly used the wrong address.

I was told life is too short and to move on.

For what its worth,

my belief is that if anybody has something that has a good chance of standing up to scrutiny

then it should be taken forward as far as it will go.

Unlikely an individual case will make a lasting difference but one day,

somebody will take an action on and it WILL end up with massive ripples running through the industry.

Just needs people to take it on and others to encourage and assist.