Engine seized on Mercedes bought from dealership in Feb 2015

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2918 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All ,

I purchased a 61 reg Mercedes from Mercedes dealership in Feb 2015 24k on clock £9200 purchase price .

got it on Hp from independent finance company .

It's done no more than 10000 miles in the time we've had it .

Car was started on Sunday morning from cold and there was a horrible noise like metal scraping

or something getting stuck but it started and run fine

then on Monday afternoon just wouldn't start again after being used during the day .

Friend of ours who is a mechanic came out and recovered it for us

and tonight has diagnosed that the engine has seized

he think a chain has come off which is what the noise was looking at £1500-2k repair bill.

There were never any warning lights of low oil etc .

It was due a service at the end of Feb 2016 but we didn't get round to having it done .

It came with a 12 month warranty but that's has now expired too .

Considering the price we paid and the relatively young age and low mileage of the car what are my options ??

Do I approach dealer first or Hp company ?

Have we damaged our position by not having it serviced ?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Very much so. It will state in the owners handbook that you must check and top up the oil on a regular basis probably weekly. If it is a chain drive engine the tensioner will probably be hydraulic which would explain the noise. Looks like you're going to have to cover the costs with this one unfortunately.

I would say approach neither.

Why should they take responsibility?

The finance company will just say you didn't service it, tough.

The dealer will say the same.

As will the merc dealers.

This is what happens if you don't service cars.

New engine or recon engine I would say. Either is going to cost a few grand unfortunately. The fact or made horrible noises and now the chain has finally come off an it wont start, would lead me to believe that you have probably damaged the interference parts.

Friend of ours who is a mechanic came out and recovered it for us

and tonight has diagnosed that the engine has seized

he think a chain has come off which is what the noise was looking at £1500-2k repair bill.

I hate these people who just pick a number and throw that in as the likely repair cost. 'He thinks' says to me he has not disassembled anything or he would know for sure.

The engine might not be seized at all, it could be the starter pinion jammed in the ring gear. Until a proper examination of the cause is known, then no price can be put on it.

I would agree that the lack of a service at the suggested time or mileage plus the length of ownership precludes passing the cost onto the seller or the owner.

You could always give the finance company a ring, that costs pennies so nothing to lose, but I can guess what they will say.

Edited by Conniff