Car Trader not taking any responsibility

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I bought a car on 01/04/2016 from car sales trader for £500.

After a week ABS fault light came on, exhaust blowing, brakes and 2 front tyres worn.

Halford Health check said head gasket leaking oil, all brakes disc and pads needs changing, clutch worn.

AA breakdown patrol man confirmed that clutch is worn (high) but not slipping.

I paid to get exhaust replaced due to needing a car to work and school runs desperately. I paid a garage to use diagnostic equipment to check ABS warning light on dashboard. I spent these money before I learnt of clutch and oil leak issues.

I don't mind spending to get brakes, tyres, and exhaust fixed but, clutch and oil is a no no and too expensive for me for a car which I purchase less than a month ago.

Trader not polite on the phone, shouting and hanging up on me because, receipt/invoice stated non refundable, no warranty given or implied.

Guys, do you think I have any leg to stand on concerning this matter.

Many thanks for any help or suggestions.

ABS fault light came on, exhaust blowing, brakes and 2 front tyres worn. The only comeback here is on ABS light. The exhaust. tyres and brakes are service items. They maybe worn but if they stop the car and the tyres were legal when you bought it, thats that

Halford Health check said head gasket leaking oil, all brakes disc and pads needs changing, clutch worn. The head gasket may well be leaking oil,I'd be surprised if it wasn't after 13 years and 4 1/2 trips round the world. A slight oil leak from the head gasket is nothing.Brakes discs and pads as above, ie does the car stop?

AA breakdown patrol man confirmed that clutch is worn (high) but not slipping. Then its perfectly OK on an old car if its not slipping.

To be quite honest, £500 is banger money,you wont get much for £500,although i do appreciate thats all you could probably afford

Oddjobbob, I understand that £500 is a banger amount but, shouldn't said seller described faults such abs, etc so that I know I'm buying scrap car. If I add money to be spent on fixing this car to banger £500 then I was cheated by this dodgy seller. Irrespective of amount I paid for this I'll pursue this matter to logical conclusion.

Car traders should check car he or she intends to put up for sale so that it would be honestly and properly described, otherwise a buyer may feel cheated if he or she needs to fix so many stuff having had car for couple of days

Agree with oddjobbob.

A £500 car with 113000 miles is reasonably expected to have some worn parts.

At risk of repeating what has been said, brakes and tyres are consumable items, so no chance to claim them.

Halfords do brakes and tyres, and alongside Kwik fit anyone walking through their doors will be told to change them.

Worn clutch is absolutely normal for that age and mileage; use it carefully and it will last another 10 years.

Leaking head gasket: I wonder if any 13 year old car in the world has a dry head gasket without any leak.

Again pretty normal.

Abs light could be related to a lot of things, prime suspect is the abs control unit.

Easy to replace and readily available on the net.

Exhaust blowing, 113000 miles and 13 years of age on a small Peugeot, of course it will blow.

I don't think you have any recourse against the dealer.

Your points are noted King12345.

In fact I don't have problem replacing all brakes; I have already replaced exhaust.

I paid to diagnose ABS warning light, given that I bought an old car I know I may need to fix something in future but certainly not so soon and for loads of stuff.

I stand to be corrected, I think it'd be balance to state that car dealers must describe exactly the condition of car they are selling, for eg if it's for repair or parts; they must not sell everything, they should be honest enough to scrap some cars instead of putting those out for sale. The scale of repairs this car needs speaks volume of the integrity of said dealer.

My question now is? do I have right to reject this car given that it's still less than a month I bought.

Under the consumer rights act 2015, it seems said dealer has a responsibility to repair, refund or replace this car.

I now would appreciate any comments about my legal right regarding this matter. Thank you all

You always have a right to reject goods if you think they were not fit for purpose or reasonably durable, however if the dealer disputes your claim it will be up to a county court judge to decide whether you will be compensated.

In this case, given the age and mileage of the car and the price paid, I don't think you have high hopes of success, at best 50%.

That's only my opinion, others might intervene and give you more hope.

In my motoring life I bought cheap cars and I always had to spend money on them, it's almost inevitable when your budget is limited.

Even though the abs light is on the braking system will still work. To be honest if you ever need to use the system you're probably not driving to the conditions . The fault will log a dtc in the memory, get it read and go from there. It's probably a sensor or bad connection.

ABS fault light came on, exhaust blowing, brakes and 2 front tyres worn. The only comeback here is on ABS light. The exhaust. tyres and brakes are service items. They maybe worn but if they stop the car and the tyres were legal when you bought it, thats that

Halford Health check said head gasket leaking oil, all brakes disc and pads needs changing, clutch worn. The head gasket may well be leaking oil,I'd be surprised if it wasn't after 13 years and 4 1/2 trips round the world. A slight oil leak from the head gasket is nothing.Brakes discs and pads as above, ie does the car stop?

AA breakdown patrol man confirmed that clutch is worn (high) but not slipping. Then its perfectly OK on an old car if its not slipping.

To be quite honest, £500 is banger money,you wont get much for £500,although i do appreciate thats all you could probably afford

It all depends. If the trader sold the vehicle in a non roadworthy condition I.e. Brakes and tyres not good enough to pass mot, then the trader has not met requirements under consumer rights legislation and must repair. It doesn't matter if he sold it for £1 or £100k, unless sold as parts, if sold as a vehicle to be driven on the highway it must be legal at point of sale.

It all depends. If the trader sold the vehicle in a non roadworthy condition I.e. Brakes and tyres not good enough to pass mot, then the trader has not met requirements under consumer rights legislation and must repair. It doesn't matter if he sold it for £1 or £100k, unless sold as parts, if sold as a vehicle to be driven on the highway it must be legal at point of sale.

ABS lights on means MOT failure.

Peugeot dealer has looked at this car and found more damages...... the leak is substantial, etc... they also provided a video which I've forwarded to seller. Seller has not acknowledged or replied to letters so far

Yes, as I stated the only comeback is the ABS light. IF it was sold with bald tyres then these are an easy spot before purchase, likewise IF the car does not stop properly. But as far as we know all the OP has said is that the front tyres are worn. Halfords have said the discs and pads need changing...there's a surprise!

Likewise the exhaust is easy to hear presumably.

At £500 i would expect the car to be almost worn out...although it should indeed be roadworthy at the time of sale. We have only been told that the clutch is worn, bot that its slipping...and at £500 it hasevery right to be worn!

I'm sorry OP that I and others are not really telling you what you want to hear, but i think you'll struggle with this one. Its possible if you create enough of a fuss then they will refund you, I dont know,but hope so.

And if £500 is all you can afford, please use the bus for a while,save like mad, and buy a better car, £500 gems are very rare, although they do exist

An oil leak does not affect roadworthiness.

Yes, as I stated the only comeback is the ABS light. IF it was sold with bald tyres then these are an easy spot before purchase, likewise IF the car does not stop properly. But as far as we know all the OP has said is that the front tyres are worn. Halfords have said the discs and pads need changing...there's a surprise!

Likewise the exhaust is easy to hear presumably.

At £500 i would expect the car to be almost worn out...although it should indeed be roadworthy at the time of sale. We have only been told that the clutch is worn, bot that its slipping...and at £500 it hasevery right to be worn!

I'm sorry OP that I and others are not really telling you what you want to hear, but i think you'll struggle with this one. Its possible if you create enough of a fuss then they will refund you, I dont know,but hope so.

And if £500 is all you can afford, please use the bus for a while,save like mad, and buy a better car, £500 gems are very rare, although they do exist

An oil leak does not affect roadworthiness.

Oil leak might not affect road-worthiness but the amount of oil leak is substantial and says a lot about the condition of said car. Excessively worn out car must not be sold but scrapped.

Yes brakes need changing this has been confirmed by peugeot dealer; disc 90% worn, corroded and starting to brake up....exact description by the dealer.

Scrap cars are sold less than £500.

I know how to count my losses, accept my mistake, learn lessons and move on. Some yrs back I bought car £700 from private seller after 2 weeks overheating, hot liquids and smokes coming out of bonnet, etc, I took it on chin and moved on. However, if it is a car trader I'll sue with all resources I have.

It doesn't matter if I paid £1 for it, if the law permit me to reject bought car I'd refused to be cheated. I'm not here for people to tell me what I want to hear, I only need to know what I'm permitted to do by the law in situation like this in which I feel cheated by dodgy seller.

Please...don't think I'm against you! £500 is a lot of money.

If you cant get any where with the trader then get the brakes and exhaust done...The ABS light is most likely a sensor, keep the oil topped up,and just use it till it's finally had it.

Truly, best of luck with it all, I mean it

Bob