Parking charge changed to parking penalty notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2893 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Recently I received a parking charge notice from "PCN Debt Recovery and Prosecution Service" on the 4th April for the offence of:

"parking in an area restricted for permit holders without displaying a valid permit before 9:30 at Orpington Railway Station Car Park"

as it was early in the winter morning and I had no way of knowing this detail due to it being dark outside.

I believed that the initial charge of £90 was unreasonable and thus ignored the letter as I had read online that these types of private companies do not have the authority to cite Railway Byelaw 14.

However, today I received another letter from "PPN Debt Recovery and Prosecution Service" (note the difference) for a parking penalty notice of £165 with the same offence and claim details.

This does not correlate to the previous letter and I read that a parking penalty notice is a cause for concern. Can anyone confirm whether or not they have the ability to do this? Thanks

One detail that I noticed was that the letter claims that "A "Notice to Owner" was sent to you as the registered owner/keeper/hirer of the vehicle because a Parking Penalty Notice (PPN) was issued to the vehicle above and to date the due payment has not been received" (the previous letter was a parking charge notice, not a parking penalty notice)

Penalty charge.jpg

comparison.jpg

Parking charge.jpg

you need to carefully look at the bottom of the letter.

it issued by the railway co.

the land owners.

so they can inforce the byelaws

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes, a byelaw 14 claim rather than one from a private parking co.

However, that doesnt change the law as far as how much the charge shall be

so £90 is the amount, not £165.

The £165 could be enforceable only if the signage at the car park makes it clear that recovery costs will be claimed

and I then fail to see how sending out a second letter can cost the railway co £75

but if it is on the sign then you would be wise to consider it as being notified.

What to do?

Pay the £90 and include a letter that there is no provision in the signage at the car park

to allow the extra costs to be added if there isnt a specific clause in the contract offered by the sign

that adds the EXACT amount rather than saying recovery costs or the like.

If they refuse the £90 then they will have to seek prosecution

and you can argue that you couldnt see the signage in the dark so didnt breach 14 (2)ii

and that recovery costs only apply to clamped or towed vehicles

and that is specifically covered by 14(4) and thus not applicable to this claim regarding signage.

They are only interested in the money so I'm sure would be reluctant to spend a fortune preparing a case to put in front of a magistrate they might lose when they have been offered a chaque for the actual £90 charge.