style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2027 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got a letter a few days ago saying an outstanding LO from 2013 is still unpaid from the council.

Now ive always known ive owed bailiff charges for this amount but refused to pay them but thats a different story

Ive just had a quick look online at accounts and the likes on the council website

and it seems the council have paid the bailiffs out of the money i paid online to the council

to clear the council tax arrears (in full) on the councils website at the time

eg clear the LO and worry about what I owe the baliffs another time.

It showed only last year I was up to date with my council tax

but owed bailiff charges for this amount

and now they have what seems messed with figures to make out its still an LO issue

Bit stuck on this one so any advice would be much help when I can spend a day or two collecting my own data :(

Thanks

Eggy12

Have moved your thread to the Bailiff forum Eggy...in view of the Bailiff element.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

In 2013 new regulations came into force [The Taking Control of goods Act] and since then Councils have to pay their bailiff fees when debtors pay Council tax direct to the Council.

So the situation is that instead of owing bailiff fees you still owe the Council.

You are therefore best to contact the Council to find out how much they have paid to the bailiffs and a breakdown of how much they charged and for what.

In the meantime if you have a car outside move it away from your property to avoid it being clamped or removed.

if you can come to some arrangement with the Council to repay the outstanding amount, it might prevent a visit from bailiffs and your clamped.

Got a letter a few days ago saying an outstanding LO from 2013 is still unpaid from the council.

Now ive always known ive owed bailiff charges for this amount but refused to pay them but thats a different story

Ive just had a quick look online at accounts and the likes on the council website and it seems the council have paid the bailiffs out of the money i paid online to the council

The council have correctly dealt with your direct payment and the following page should hopefully explain in simple terms how your payment has been distributed.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?453047-Bailiff-enforcement-Setting-up-a-payment-arrangement-and-whether-you-can-pay-the-court-or-the-council-direct

So this coming into affect on 6th April 2014 surly the LO issued for the amount on 6/6/13 has no effect to this matter, this is I thinking it only means " from 6/4/14 and after" has an effect .. That aside my concern is that pre date I paid the LO off in full and left the bailiff to chase there money. Can they now restart chasing the LO adding the new rule charges from something I paid off previously.. That is what the council are threatening ?

This is a bit more confusing than I thought.. Sept through October I made payments in 2013. From Oct 2013 through to 15 April 2014 I was on jsa and it being paid for me. On 24 April I made a payment of £416. Give me a little time to sort this out, there was one year I earn just below 6k and did not claim for low earnings..

Ok lets say I made the full owing payment on 24 April 2014

Before 07?04 the council will have deducted the fees in full so it would not make any difference, the LO would still not have been settled.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Is there anything stopping me trying for a low earnings reduction that year as I, as said earlier earned less than 6k ?.. That if possible should even things out

• 3 weeks later...

After asking what the bill was for, they sent me this...

The debt relates to the 2013/2014 bill which was originally for £836.23. Due to no payments being made to this amount on 16th May 2013 you were summonsed which added £130.00 costs to your account. Obtaining a Liability Order from the court enabled us to instruct our Enforcement Agents to act on our behalf.

As the debt was not paid in full (£396.23 remaining) on 29th January 2015 it was passed to Jacobs Enforcement Agents who added their compliance fee of £75.00 and then the enforcement fee of £235.00 totalling £310.00.

Total amount now due to Jacobs £706.23.

On 24th April 2015 you did make a payment to us for £396.23 to clear the amount remaining. However as your case was with Jacobs we had to pay them a proportion of their fees out of this amount totalling £147.44. This is the balance that is due to us from 2013/2014.

Regards

Not sure what the proportion means but I figure it saves me paying all the bailiff charges

Emailed them asking after I pay this amount will I be up to date with nothing left to pay, received this reply...

Yes that’s correct. You just be then paying your current bill which you are already paying anyway monthly

All I ever paid was the c/tax plus summons fee nothing more so however they worked that out I'm unsure and wont be asking..

All I ever paid was the c/tax plus summons fee nothing more so however they worked that out I'm unsure and wont be asking..

Unfortunately, your understanding or lack of will not effect on the apportionment of the payment received.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Bailiffs wanted £305, council only paying them £144

Yes exactly the same amount that would have been paid to them, if you would have paid the EA. Pro rata :)

Just looked over your thread, I am afraid you still owe the authority the amount stated if you do not pay this the account will still be open to future enforcement action.

Yes, its the pro rata that through me.. I would have not been worried about bailiffs coming round, I just wanted to find out the facts before I handed over the money, that I have now been able to do :)

The good news is that you will not be liable for the balance of the bailiff fees though.