Reasonable expectation of paintwork durability?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2836 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just the outline of the issue should be enough!

Bought a car in March 2014 from a Nissan franchise. Noticed some rust which was fixed under the Nissan manufacturers paint warranty in August / September 2014. When this was repaired, I was assured that the metal would be treated to prevent repeat bubbling under the paint (I was asking whether a new tailgate would be fitted, but it was resprayed).

Fast forward to now, I have noticed some bubbling under the paint in the same two places again, approximately 18 months after the repair. I believe that the manufacturer (as opposed to the dealer) repaired under their paint warranty.

My expectation is that I should not be experiencing the same problem in the same places again so soon, but I don't know what my rights are. I would rather not approach the supplying dealer (also the repairer) as I ended up issuing claims against them through the CC for other matter related to the vehicle. (They settled before it reached court, and the paintwork was never part of that claim).

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Apologies for the huge time between posts, but I'm just getting this rolling now.

I have contacted the local Nissan dealer and explained the situation. They have said that they are happy to take a look - and some photographs - to send to Nissan for a warranty claim. But, they have also said that if the work was not carried out to "the required standard", then the liability will be with the company that did the work.

The chain is me, give the car to supplying (Nissan) dealer, they claim from Nissan. Now I don't believe they have their own bodyshop, so I think they contract it to a local place. I guess the dealer makes the claim from Nissan and pays the third-party bodyshop.

Now if Nissan are paying for it, and it is organised by one of their authorised dealers, and then subcontracted to a third party, who is responsible? I don't really want to play piggy in the middle between Nissan (UK) and the dealer or their subcontractor (besides which I really don't have the time).

To complicate things, I issued claims against the supplying dealer for a number of issues with the vehicle and won. So things between me and the dealer are not too friendly, and they are 100 miles away and 3 hours on country roads which adds a further inconvenience element. I haven't been in contact with them since the claims, and this work they did was before this (when we were on more friendly terms).

Thanks