• Tweets

• The digital bank has introduced three new plans - Extra, Perks and Max - replacing its existing Plus and Premium plans for new customers.View the full article
    • Agree it is not a modification that needs to be disclosed to Insurers as changing the seats has not changed the risk.  
    • Frpm David Frost and Robert Jenrick: 'Conservatives must show we respect the votes in 2016 and 2019 and not give the Opposition the chance to undo the benefits of leaving the EU'   Sweep away the Brexit gloom – or Labour will unravel a huge gain ARCHIVE.PH archived 22 Apr 2024 05:47:50 UTC  
    • Please please help we were miss sold full fibre by EE July 22  Install couldn’t go ahead no equipment sent and no. Survey it was hell  foind out no full fibre in road so we had to go back to cooper no choice we involved. Ceo and they put in a man from customer resolution s  he was vile he told me I had to go to engineers  something very odd about the ex resolution s in bt basically they took my drive up said they Would put ducting in ready for full fibre we have got £ 40 for a hours upon hours phones stress and more told to go to ombudsman  then bill was £35 we called twice told it was that price as they had treated us appalling two weeks later all sky package gets pulled we call again our bill goes to 165 the next two weeks was hell trying to get yo bottom why it’s off our package it was all on in the end I spent a day on the phone  341 mins was the call anyway I got to the bottom it was this resolution man coveting up the other issue another deadlock  to cover it all up  they hide data  ee did so couldn’t get the miss sell in writing I have now only from sept  Basically now we tried getting full fibre and they have found my drive had to be taken up again which has sunk .  The engineer has placed the wrong ducting again under my drive and need s to be taken to again apparently and the pipe sticks up middle of the drive near gate not behind look so odd it’s a big as a drain pipe open to water and it’s below touching the electrical cables to hot tub . I was sent a letter from the ex resolution to say I had stopped the work  I haven’t  it’s so sadistic she covering up for her mate in that team as the orginal install he didn’t check it had been done correctly  I took to Twitter and posted on open reach they ignored me then after 3 calls of two weeks they sent a engineer bt ignored me ceo emails blocked tag on Twitter unanswered then we get someone from twitter send a engineer he written report to say it’s dangerous since we have  had a  letter to say our problem can not be resolved  then a email to say sorry we are leaving and we can’t get into our account Bt will not talk to us ofcom tells us nothing they can do Citzens advice said go to the police  we can’t go back to virgin due so mass issue with them only option is sky  but point is they make out we have canceled we haven’t we have this mess on our drive dangeous work we are in hell  it’s like she covering up for this collegue it’s all very odd I am disabled and they like played mentaly with me open reach say bt resolved the issue no they have not  I recon they have terminated us making our we have  to hide it from mgt  Help it’s hell I don’t sleep we have 29 may we have tried  calling they just ignore me  at first they are so lovely as they say I am then they go to nnamager and say we can’t say anything to you end call  Scared police are rubbish I need help even typing is so painfull  Thankyou  anyone hello be so grateful     
    • There's a thread somewhere about someone sending the baillifs against Wizzair that is quite hilarious. I would love to see someone do the same to Ryanair. Question is, should you be the one to take that role. You are entitled to the £220, if your flight was from the UK. If it was TO the UK I suppose it is more of a grey area... though the airlines I know have been using £220 as standard. Not that surprising for Ryanair, the worst cheapskates in the universe, to go for the lower amount, and if you forward this to the CEO he will probably have a jolly good laugh and give his accountants a verbal bonus. After all he's the one who said and I paraphrase "F*** our customers, they'll fly with us again anyway". While we would all love to see Ryanair get wooped in court again, I have to join my fellow posters in thinking it's not worth the hassle for (hypothetically) £7 and not sure it will expedite the payment either. It's already an achievement that you got them to accept to pay.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Wrongly accused with GAS meter tampering by SSE

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2647 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My concern is that even if I requested an independent testing they would still carry on with chasing the debt....

Classic signs of normal anxiety where people are paralysed into not doing something, because their fears are overiding actions that should be taken. This is perfectly normal human behaviour, which happens to most of us, but we don't like admitting because it seems like weakness. I have had situations like this and most people reading this thread will have experienced the same when faced with very difficult situations. Not being patronising, but simply stating what humans go through.

Now to why you HAVE to ask for the meter to be made available for independent inspection.

1). You are entitled to be able to inspect a device which you believe is faulty and has caused a large bill to be produced. If the meter is not available for independent inspection, you can raise this in court as part of your defence. Remember you have been accused of tampering with this meter. Your independent inspection might reveal it was not tampered with or there could be another explanation,

2). If you don't bother to ask for the meter to be available for inspection, then if it gets to court, you are almost accepting that SSE's own report may be correct and it is not worth challenging it.

3). I cannot see SSE continuing to enforce this debt if you are in the process of trying to establish that this debt is not owed, as a mistake has been made. Thus is why asking for independent meter inspection is a MUST and why you should ask the Ombudsman to escalate to tier 2 of their complaints.

4). You have previous energy usage statements where you can evidence paying for normal energy usage and then there is this blip where the energy usage has suddenly gone high through no action by you. The meter needs inspecting in your behalf to find out the issues.

5). There have been other cases featured on a BBC consumer programme where it was shown that people accused of meter tampering were proved incorrect. There was a problem with some parts of the meter where parts had worn down and there had been no tampering. A second inspection of the meters revealed faults, rather than tampering.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks a lot. As a matter of principle I would go to court if needed. I was thinking to maybe start paying £20 per month and buy some time but this seems like admitting guilt.

Already wrote to SSE and asked them to get meter tested independently.

Regarding energy used I don't dispute the reading - I think they are fine. SSE says I've stolen gas and it was not metered.

I bit of the protective cover was missing and I was told you can reverse the readings.

I will write to the Ombudsman and ask them to escalate the complain...

Will keep you posted

Thanks for the great support !!!

Sent another request to head of customer service as this is getting ridiculous by the minute...

As you are aware your accounts were closed on 29 February 2016 and we are no longer the supplier of ADDRESS which means we are unable to arrange the independent meter examiner. If you feel there is an issue with your meters please contact your new supplier to discuss this further.

Whilst I note your comments I do not feel there is anything else we can add and, having asked Ombudsman Service: Energy to consider your case, the Ombudsman is the appropriate channel for ongoing correspondence.

I appreciate that you may not agree with this conclusion and I am sorry that we have been unable to meet your expectations on this occasion. Please be advised that any future correspondence received regarding the same issue will be filed for information only and not responded to.

Sent another request to head of customer service as this is getting ridiculous by the minute...

As you are aware your accounts were closed on 29 February 2016 and we are no longer the supplier of ADDRESS which means we are unable to arrange the independent meter examiner. If you feel there is an issue with your meters please contact your new supplier to discuss this further.

Whilst I note your comments I do not feel there is anything else we can add and, having asked Ombudsman Service: Energy to consider your case, the Ombudsman is the appropriate channel for ongoing correspondence.

I appreciate that you may not agree with this conclusion and I am sorry that we have been unable to meet your expectations on this occasion. Please be advised that any future correspondence received regarding the same issue will be filed for information only and not responded to.

Ok so make the request via the Ombudsman with a copy to SSE that the meter taken out that was allegedly tampered with needs to be made available for independent inspection. Send the Ombudsman a copy of the latest response from SSE, so they can see why you are involving the Ombudsman again.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Ok so make the request via the Ombudsman with a copy to SSE that the meter taken out that was allegedly tampered with needs to be made available for independent inspection. Send the Ombudsman a copy of the latest response from SSE, so they can see why you are involving the Ombudsman again.

Already did it yesterday. Will see what comes out today...

Thank you.

If you stopped paying SSE after this dispute, you should calculate your normal usage of energy and start making payments based on this.

If it ever gets to court, you can then show that you have no problem paying for actual usage, but you do have a problem paying for excess amounts due to a faulty meter.

Luckily for me the removal of meter was shortly after we sent a request to switch our energy suppler. So the new meter is owned by eON and I owe SSE about 69 unit which should be about £30.00

This is from our last bill to SSE till eON took over. I am happy to pay the £30 owned but not more.

So pay SSE £30 which you believe is the approx amount that is due for actual usage and advise that you continue to dispute there was any tampering or other reason to justify any other demands being made. That you require the meter taken out to be made available for independent inspection and that you have asked the Ombudsman to review their complaint handling.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no reply to my email for gas meter testing.

Spoke to SSE on the phone and I was told that this is no longer possible and they referred me to the Deadlock letter.

Complaint procedure has been exhausted and they will carry on with debt collection. Nothing they can do on their side.

Lots of B****t

They said the Ombudsman tested the meter and found it was tempered with - I do not think this is the case as this was not requested by me before and do not have anything to say so in their emails.

I will be waiting for the debt collectors to start ringing 5 times are day and hopefully this will go to court at some point where I will take my chances.

Regards,

Still no reply to my email for gas meter testing.

Spoke to SSE on the phone and I was told that this is no longer possible and they referred me to the Deadlock letter.

Complaint procedure has been exhausted and they will carry on with debt collection. Nothing they can do on their side.

Lots of B****t

They said the Ombudsman tested the meter and found it was tempered with - I do not think this is the case as this was not requested by me before and do not have anything to say so in their emails.

I will be waiting for the debt collectors to start ringing 5 times are day and hopefully this will go to court at some point where I will take my chances.

Regards,

I think you need to report any false info to the Ombudsman. If SSE claim the Ombudsman tested the meter and this is not the case, then the Ombudsman needs to be made aware of such a false claim.

Load of nonsense.

The Ombudsman can advise SSE to arrange a meter test if it deems necessary but they will never do the testing themselves. I would agree with unclebulgaria67 in letting the Ombudsman aware of that one.

In the meantime, if you are sent debt collection letters, you are free to ignore them as they have no powers. If they get hold of you by telephone, make sure you keep a log of when they call.

Any pearls of wisdom that I give on the CAG forums is based on previous experiences and knowledge I have gained from being on these forums.

problem is you are using email. Write to the ombudsman and make it clear that you want this investigated as a second tier complaint.

Sent emails to the Ombudsman and SSE. This was a week ago and still no replies.

I just received an Unpaid Bill letter by post from SSE asking for a payment in 7 working days and mentioning debt collection agency and Summons to recover...

Got a reply. I will send the request by post and email again...

Message from Ombudsman Service

Thank you for contacting us by email on 3 November 2016 regarding your complaint with SSE.

We acknowledge your comments and advise that your complaint has been closed as the outcome of the investigation was no remedy or award.

To clarify we have attached the relevant correspondence that we sent to you that advises of our decision.

Yours sincerely

Case Administration Team

In this communication they seem to imply that the meter is still in use in your property.

Template???

Incompetence???

Or are there missing pieces in this puzzle???

Hi nacid, have you asked for the meter to be independently inspected?

If not why not?

I would expect by now the meter will not be available for inspection and most likely been destroyed within 3 months of removal!

What type of gas meter are we discussing; metric or imperial?

Meter readers are just that meter readers, if they see damage all they should do is call for a meter engineer to inspect the meter, they should only be a maximum of 30 seconds in the property, I would suspect the meter reader that stayed 10 minutes probally caused the damage themself!

Andrew

ASI Industries = As i in does tries!

As i in does tries!: My definition.

I will try, i may never succeed in the goal, but at least by trying i have a greater chance of success than never trying at all!

My opinions are my own & occasionally may offend, but it is not my intention to cause offence in the first place!

In this communication they seem to imply that the meter is still in use in your property.

Template???

Incompetence???

Or are there missing pieces in this puzzle???

Copy and paste combined with incompetence...

No one cares....

I was told by the revenue protection officer that a cover on the left hand side is missing and you have direct access to dials and can turn the readings back...

2016-02-11%2016.55.11.jpg

2016-02-11%2016.54.52.jpg

We could not find the cover and it might have been missing for ages.

I asked SSE and the Ombudsman to get the meter tested independently.

SSE told me that the Ombudsman had tested and found it to be tampered with (over the phone) - which is not the case.

The Ombudsman said the case is closed.

I am sending a letter by post to escalate this to Tier 2.

Thank you all!!!

I can't see any missing cover on the left side.

It looks like the transparent cover wraps around so nobody can touch the dials.

So the meter is still in your property.

Can you get it tested independently and when found that has not been tampered with request the inspection fee back (as well as closing the case)?

I can't see any missing cover on the left side.

It looks like the transparent cover wraps around so nobody can touch the dials.

So the meter is still in your property.

Can you get it tested independently and when found that has not been tampered with request the inspection fee back (as well as closing the case)?

There is a bit missing as you can access the dials and also this is where the security seal should be...It was also missing..

No this a picture taken when I got the last reading from the meter before eON took over.

We changed supplier and that's why they came to take readings. We have a new meter now..

The old one went to an evidence back

There is a bit missing as you can access the dials and also this is where the security seal should be...It was also missing..

No this a picture taken when I got the last reading from the meter before eON took over.

We changed supplier and that's why they came to take readings. We have a new meter now..

The old one went to an evidence back

In that case you have to play on the fact that sse lied about the meter being inspected by the ombudsman.

Getting everything in writing would be best, otherwise recorded calls.

My feeling is that at one point the seal must have been knocked off along with the cover and sse now wants to profit by scaring you about potential ccj, criminal charges and all the other nonsense.

They must make the meter available to you for independent inspection.

In fact, now that they've kept the meter for so long and many people could have tampered with it, they couldn't even use it in evidence.

Unless they can prove that from when it was removed there's been a security chain to safeguard its conditions.

Very likely the bloke who removed it chucked it in the back of his van and then into a room full of other meters once at sse head quarters.

As you haven't done anything wrong, don't give in.

• 2 weeks later...

Message from Ombudsman Services

Thank you for your letter received on 16 November 2016.

You advised in your letter that you wished to escalate your complaint to tier two. Ombudsman Services does not have a tier system of complaints, if you are unhappy with the level of services you have received while using our service, please follow the link below or use the attached leaflet and our customer relations department will intervene and review the complaint.

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/unhappy-with-our-service-form-os.html

You advised in your letter that SSE had informed you that Ombudsman Services has tested your meter and that if this was not correct information you requested that we arrange an independent testing. Please be advised that Ombudsman Services is not an engineering firm and we do not test meters.

We trust this clarifies our position.

If you want to speak to us call 0330 440 1624. Our offices are open Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm.

Definitely ask for your Ombudsman complaint to be reviewed.

Also i suggest you write to SSE, saying that the Ombudsman has advised it is up to SSE to make the meter taken out available for independent inspection and the Ombudsman won't get involved in that process. In the letter, state that you have asked the Ombudsman to review the complaint further.