• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Are Councils overcharging for water rates?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2402 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry for the long post:

I have been busy looking for ways to keep as much money as I can in MY pocket. By this I mean I always pay my bills on time and often in credit. I wanted to save money on my water rates and looked in to getting my supply from the water companies directly.

Currently my bill is £10.35pw. Not a lot you may think! But this is paying the Council directly as they get a discount for being a huge customer. They appear not to pass this saving on to their tenants....

The interesting point on this matter is that you will be paying a share of other peoples debts and voids. This is explained within the case listed below.

Let me explain. 1st of all you need to find out if your LA is overcharging you, how you may ask. This is easy to find out by using a tool most water companies use to decide what your bill could be if on a metered supply. Will you save money? Umm a very good question to ask.

Depending on where you live and whom is supplying your area you will need to find this for yourselves. In my area this is Essex and Suffolk water. They have a tool you can fill in and it will give you what you could pay if you changed to a meter.

I did this and found out that I could potentially save upwards of over £300pa. A huge saving by any standards. My savings is based on the fact I do not have a bath and a single occupant and that I have a wet room. So I would save by switching supplier and going directly to them and not my LA.

Now the interesting part of my post:

There has recently been several important cases heard including a hearing at the High Court. The links are as follows.

1. http://www.localgovernmentlawyer.co....d=56&Itemid=24

2. http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2016/457.html

From the long read you may discover that you can ask your LA to allow you to switch supplier. I made this information known to my LA and they are already beginning to filter out letters to their tenants.

I am what is known as a block voice for my estate and asked if I could get my supply metered and at a reduced rate from the main suppliers directly. their response was a resounding NO! But then I linked them to these cases above and they had a change of mind. If it turns out that residents may have been overcharged, then they may be able to argue a refund against the different prices you had to pay.

This I am currently looking in to and will update as and when anything comes to light. There is so much more to this issue but would make the initial read far to long so have just given basic information this far.

What are your thoughts on this subject please?

Note to admin not sure if this is the right area to post if not please feel free to move..

Similar thread here >>http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ht=water+rates with no replies

MM

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

A quote from one of the links above...

Court rules council overcharged 37,000 tenants for water and sewerage pdf_button.png printButton.png emailButton.png

'Friday, 04 March 2016 15:20 A London borough has overcharged approximately 37,000 tenants for water and sewerage services, a High Court judge has ruled.

Southwark Council, one of the largest social landlords in the country, collected from many of its tenants – including the claimant, Kim Jones – charges for such services supplied by Thames Water Authority and, later, Thames Water Utilities.

The question in Jones v London Borough of Southwark [2016] EWHC 457 was whether the Water Resale Order 2006 applied to these arrangements and, if so, whether the local authority had charged tenants more than was permissible under the 2006 Order'

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Another interesting point of view from one of the links is this paragraph >>

Commenting on the case, the claimant’s law firm Deighton Pierce Glynn said: “The most immediate effect of the judgment is that Southwark Council tenants at risk of losing their homes due to arrears are likely to have a defence that at least some of their arrears are due to unlawful overcharging.”

Interesting thread, MM. I would suggest that all LA tenants should check with their LA if they are making their water/sewerage payments via their rent book. It is wrong IMHO that people should be charged more for a service by having it included in their rent, than if they were to pay direct to the water company.

I seem to recall other services such as gas and electric being forced on LA tenants where they live in flats - and the whole building is supplied by one supplier and it would appear that the LA might receive some form of compensation for doing this. Very wrong. .

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks cB

Don't forget that there has also been recent cases and some serious refunds for tenants re: gas/electric recently. Up to £2k in some of my Borough due to the overcharging and linking in to residents lighting circuits for communal lighting outside their flats. That was a right mess and very costly in some cases....

I am a council tenant and I get charged £10.66 per week for water and sewerage charges. In 2007 it was only £5.86 per week!!!!!!

I'm going to check if I can get it cheaper.....

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

My boyfriend (who lives in a 2 bedroom house just like me) only pays £366 per year for his water and sewerage yet as a council tenant I am paying £554 per year.

That's a difference of £188 per year

I am a council tenant and I get charged £10.66 per week for water and sewerage charges. In 2007 it was only £5.86 per week!!!!!!

I'm going to check if I can get it cheaper.....

I think anyone who is caught up in this situation should check if they have the right to switch to a cheaper supplier of any of their utilities. If the LA says no, then this situation needs exposing.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Looks like this could turn out to be a very interesting thread.

My LA tried to blind me with rateable calculations and useless bumph.

They also held a meeting on this matter very recently too. I am asking for the minutes of this meeting to see how and why they have started to make changes.

What if something like the LA's having to repay all of those that have been overcharged? This could costs £m's especially if this can be proved till time gone by!!

Here is another update for those that are interested see here >> http://www.southwark.gov.uk/news/article/2127/update_on_historic_water_charges_and_refunds_for_council_tenants

'Council tenants may be eligible for a refund for a proportion of the water charges they paid between April 2010 and July 2013.'

'This follows a court case in which the council was judged to have overcharged tenants over that period.

Like many other local authority and housing association landlords, Southwark Council had a longstanding agreement with Thames Water whereby they collected water charges as part of tenants’ rent. For tenants, this meant that they did not have a direct relationship with the water authority and their water usage was an additional service charge like heating and hot water if they were part of a district heating system or garage rent if they rented a garage.'

I do indeed as well as many other things. At the moment, the water company will not tell me what the total bill is as I am not their customer and the HA will not tell me either.

Will tenants also receive interest on their overpayments at the County Court Rate?

I do indeed as well as many other things. At the moment, the water company will not tell me what the total bill is as I am not their customer and the HA will not tell me either.

Will tenants also receive interest on their overpayments at the County Court Rate?

I would think that you might be able to claim for some interest on the overpayments (if found that you have overpaid), but would think the County Court rate would only apply if you were to issue a claim.

I think you might be able to send a Subject Access Request to the Housing Authority if they are not prepared to tell you what the bill is/should be ?

BCOBS

I haven't heard of LA's charging water rates. I live in a 3 bed house and am on a meter. There are 3 if us here, I pay £30 a month and am in credit.

For info I know of a HA scheme where utilities are all part of the service charge, but as none of the properties are metered they can't tell who uses what. So poor old Mrs X who watches the pennies and tried to keep bills down pays the same as Joe Bloggs who leaves the heating on full blast day and night with the windows wide open.

Joke(?) is that this place won a design award but they missed out a basic requirement like meters.

Apologies to MM if a bit off topic, but I must say I think you pay too much for water.

Why not send a FOI request to find out what LA pay and how they calculate what they charge?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Further to this interesting post I wanted to post more on overcharging by my LA if you want to know more follow this link (new story)

http://m.echo-news.co.uk/news/14174284.__1million_windfall_for_overcharged_tenants/

Caro.

No apologies needed. Yes I am have been paying far too much for my water. Our new rate will be in the region of £4.65pw for a studio/ one bed flat with a single occupancy.

I can also apply for an exceptional discount due to medical reasons (as can others).

So when I made my observations known back at the start of the year they tried to hide behind complex calculations. Dohh! Not right, not going to happen.

So being me I gave a little more information to get them to nibble until I was able to gentle guide them to the corner then drop my bombshell.

Finally it was taken up and discussed at board level.

But, with me there is always a but. My second line of attack is the prolific overcharging of a hidden admin fee for part I/II sheltered/assisted living fee/s, they are not aware of this yet but they will be in about 24 hours.

I hate those that profit from the vulnerable in our society even if it costs me my time and energy.

This is my 4th success with issues running into the 100's of thousands of pounds...

So this thread seems to be progressing nicely. I wonder how many LA's have had requests on this subject since it was posted. Now that would be interesting..

Can't I delete this?

Edited by Rexroth
I was trying to repy to one particular post and though I had pressed the appropriate button to quote it. Otherwise my post does not make sense.

Hi if you pay your HA the rates then they MAY be overcharging you will need to check for your self...

This is what I was trying to do by asking here. What I needed to establish was whether the case applied only to LA or to HA as well.

Have a read of this article >> http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/water-bill-ruling-could-leave-landlords-owing-millions/7014296.article

Further reading of use is here >> http://www.southwark-libdems.org.uk/council_forced_into_water_rates_u_turn

'Council forced into water rates U-turn

Updated 2016-04-18

Southwark’s Labour housing bosses have been forced into a humiliating climbdown and will now spend £8.4million refunding council tenants for historic water rates it should not have charged for.

A recent decision by the High Court of Justice ruled that the Council had overcharged tenants for water bills between April 2010 and July 2013 and had breached laws on how it bought and re-sold water and sewage services provided by Thames Water. The court found that the Council had made a profit from tenants paying for these services through their rent.'

I have found out how much my landlord has been charging me for water rates since I moved into this house in 2007. What I need to know is ow much the water company would have charged during that time compared to what the council have been charging me.

Dependant on your area you can get a basic idea by going to the suppliers site and running the estimation tool if they have one then you may be able to work it out from their.

In my case that turned out to be about £7-00pw since 2010. Have a look and you maybe able to work it out.

Also your LA may be in the process of writing to their tenants anyway to see what the state of the overcharging could be...