2 Years of Eon farce

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2862 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Apologies for the length and the sarcasm of this post but as in the title - this has been going on a long time and was on the phone for an hour to Eon today.

We moved in to our 3 bed terraced in Nov 13 and kept with Eon as the supplier.

The house has no gas but we noticed old storage heaters downstairs that I removed as I knew they were expensive to use (and in one case, broken anyway).

As we have two meters, one that runs the heaters and the other runs all other services, I was under the impression that, when I asked them to, Eon would arrange the removal of one meter and the change of the other through Scottish Power.

On 15 Jan 2015, I received a yearly electricity bill of £1025. I emailed several times why I wasn't receiving more regular bills but received no reply.

After a sarcastic but angry email, my query was taken up by a dedicated complaints manager who advised that the meter would be change over for the correct rate meter and remove the redundant one. This was replaced on 5 March 2015.

She also set up a direct debit for £120 for my current usage and £42 for the arrears for the next 24 months.

I was under the impression, she had also ensured I could submit meter readings online to keep things accurate.

However I was unaware that she hadn't. I had attempted to submit meter readings online from my single meter, but these were rejected as the system required me to submit readings from 2 separate meters. (I have been told today that my reading were placed on file as 'notes')

Over the last 2 years, on about 8 occasions, I have had readers in to read my meter.

In addition, all my bills have been estimated statements.

As I have said, I run electric only, a fire in the lounge when it's cold and 3 x panel heaters upstairs which are run on timers for 1-2 hours per night depending on the time of year, immersion heater and cooker.

Today, I received my second annual bill from Eon totalling £1753. It seems my usage has gone up to 50 kwh per day and I have not even paid my usage for this year, much less the arrears from last year.

As stated, I spent an hour with a complaint manager that offered me £560 off the bill from their reviewing my account, which seems poor as I thought the £42 was for that purpose and expected some reduction in the previous year's arrears. On hearing this I escalated my complaint to a bill review department. I stated to him that I wanted at least some of the previous years arrears to be discounted.

He stated I had a choice:

Pay £93 for a 'load check' on my meter, or

Have the meter changed completely and he stated he would monitor the usage over the next few weeks to check usage.

I can't afford the £93 so opted for the meter change and monitor.

After speaking to the appointments department, he said they would not change the meter as they say there they monitor the meter and there is be nothing wrong with it. (How do they know this and if they do know, why can't they take meter readings from it direct?)

So I am left with a £1753 bill with a £560 reduction and a £20 'gesture of goodwill' to cover phone costs, etc (thanks!) - Final total - £1173

What I want to know, if anyone can answer, is:

Do I have a case here with the Ombudsman? I have had dealings with other (Financial) Ombudsman in the past and have found them to be ineffective in helping me with my case. Is this the same with the Energy Ombudsman?

Could my meter be faulty? Unless I pay the £93, I have no way of finding out.

Why don't we have an industry standard (which I questioned in the phone call) for energy usage?

Should I be resigned to paying as much as I can for the next 10 years while I save the money to pay these bully boys in full? Do I have any rights here? (Should I ask for their Consumer Credit Licence number as they now offer/encourage overdrafts!)

I have just checked my account and I can now submit a meter reading for a single meter - for the first time in 13 months

We are paying other debts off at the moment but it's slow progress - this feels like 5 steps back.

Apologies again for the sarcasm - even writing this is p*ssing me off.

Thanks for reading

Lawrence

As you still have the meter connected and working, you can work out your exact kWh usage from the reading and what your bill should be for the period Nov13 to now.

Then subtract what you have already paid and that is what you owe.

If you suspect the meter may be faulty, do a check with your lights. Turn everything in the house off via your fusebox, see if the meter stops.

Then turn on the circuit breakers for your lighting circuits and put several of your lights on. Add the power ratings of all the light bulbs up and see if the meter agrees.

Afternoon Lawrence. I'm sorry you've had so many difficulties and you're doing the right thing in going down our complaints route. As you're now with the Review Team, the next step is the Ombudsman as you're unhappy with the resolution proposed. From your post, I suspect this case is well over the 56 days the Ombudsman allows us to sort out complaints before they'll become involved. Even if it wasn't, we can send you a 'Final Resolution Offer' letter which will let you go to the Ombudsman straightaway.

It looks like you originally had a particular metering set up designed for all electric properties with storage heaters and electric water immersion heaters. These give a number of hours in each 24 hour period where electricity for heating and hot water is charged at lower off peak prices. There'll also be a number of hours when all electricity is charged at the cheaper prices. To work, the meters are wired into dedicated heating/hot water circuits at properties. This allows the heating/hot water to be switched on and off when the off peak times are active.

As the storage heaters were no longer working when you moved in, I can understand why you wanted a different metering set up. What usually happens here is both meters are removed and replaced with a more conventional set up like a single rate or Economy 7 meter. Following this, a number of electronic messages pass between us and various third parties like the electricity distributor, meter operator/reader, national database etc. This is to let all those involved with the supply know about the changed circumstances. After the meter exchange, it can take a few weeks before all the information is in place and the account updated. Not a year though so it looks like something wasn't updated as it should've been. This would explain why you weren't able to enter readings online and kept receiving estimated bills.

Was the reduction of £560 because we've now re-billed the account to accurate readings? Were bills before the meter exchange on 5 March 15 accurate or estimated?

I have to say, it's rare for a meter that's only about a year old to be faulty. I suspect this is why we're asking you to monitor the ongoing usage. Doing the checks CrappoMan talks about will help. I'd also recommend taking readings daily for a week, weekly for a month and then monthly. This will help you see if there's anything unusual going on or any sudden spikes. Due to the cost, a check meter is something of a last resort. If, though, the meter does turn out to be faulty the £93 will be refunded in full.

Due to the variations in properties, types of heating, levels of insulation, attitudes to energy efficiency, lifestyles etc, it's difficult to come up with anything meaningful where usage is concerned. Ofgem have published some averages for residential customers that range from 2000 kWh to 7200 kWh (last updated in September 15). As I say, a lot depends on the individual circumstances at specific properties. There's more about Ofgem's figures on their website at the following link.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/electricity/retail-market/monitoring-data-and-statistics/typical-domestic-consumption-values

Sorry again this has taken so long to sort out. Hope the above helps point you in the right direction. Sorry, too, if some of my speculation is off track.

Malc

Hi Malc

Yes, your review of the situation is pretty much spot on.

I wonder if you can ask the right dept to send me the Final Resolution letter as, although the complaint has been running for a year, I am not sure whether or not it was closed last year.

All the bills I have received have been estimated.

I am unsure of the reason behind the £560 as I haven't been told - possibly accurate readings.

I have started checking the meter at regular intervals and will do a check as per Crappoman's suggestion.

Cheers for now

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence, sounds like you've had a real nightmare here

I echo with what Malc has said, but I would add to check that the meter details have now all been updated on your bill. Your bill should show your meter serial number - does this match what is now in the property? Do the readings look similar?

In one of the back bills you have received, there should be a date when the old metering was removed and the new meter installed. Usually there will be a sticker or luggage tag left with your new meter with the old meter details, the meter reads etc - are these correct?

The £560 is most likely a billing code reduction, which is calculated by producing an accurate bill, taking off what you've paid off the oldest section and then removing any under charge that is older than 12 months - this does effectively mean that you'd still have a full year's consumption to pay.

I'm wondering if this was considered when you had the first year bill as it should have been. If it hasn't then I would expect the Ombudsman to re-calculate this based on that.

Malc - perhaps if Lawrence sends you a private message you could investigate this and assist him further?

Hi Malc

Yes, your review of the situation is pretty much spot on.

I wonder if you can ask the right dept to send me the Final Resolution letter as, although the complaint has been running for a year, I am not sure whether or not it was closed last year.

All the bills I have received have been estimated.

I am unsure of the reason behind the £560 as I haven't been told - possibly accurate readings.

I have started checking the meter at regular intervals and will do a check as per Crappoman's suggestion.

Cheers for now

Lawrence

Hello Lawrence and thanks for coming back to me. Nottslad gives some excellent advice. I'd certainly make sure all's okay with the meter exchange and everything has been updated as it should've been.

Don't worry about a letter. As the complaint is over a year old, you can go to the Ombudsman now. It shouldn't have been closed as you're not happy with the resolution offered. If it has, it usually goes back to the same team who closed it so it can be re-opened. It will be re-opened from the original date. Don't worry about having to start again. From your earlier post, it sounds like your complaint went through to our Reviewers. If this is the case, they'll need to re-open it. If, though, you made it clear you weren't happy, I doubt they'll have closed it. They may be waiting for you to go back to them. Guessing though. There are details about our complaints handling process, including how to contact the Ombudsman, on our website at the following link.

https://www.eonenergy.com/About-eon/how-we-service-our-customers/~/media/PDFs/General-PDFs/codes%20of%20practice/COP_Apr.pdf

I'll be happy to contact the advisor handling this if you drop me a PM or an email to the address in my biography. If it has reached the Reviewers, I won't be able to help with the actual resolution as it'll already have gone beyond my level. Happy to give them a heads up. After today, I'm out of the office until the middle of next week so please don't think I'm ignoring you if I my reply is a little late.

I think nottslad may be right about the £560 too. Could be a Billing Code adjustment. This code applies on residential accounts where the supplier is at fault and failed to bill accurately. In these cases, we won't bill for energy used more than 12 months from when the problem was fixed.

Hope this is of use Lawrence. Have a good weekend.

Malc

Hi Lawrence, sounds like you've had a real nightmare here

I echo with what Malc has said, but I would add to check that the meter details have now all been updated on your bill. Your bill should show your meter serial number - does this match what is now in the property? Do the readings look similar?

In one of the back bills you have received, there should be a date when the old metering was removed and the new meter installed. Usually there will be a sticker or luggage tag left with your new meter with the old meter details, the meter reads etc - are these correct?

The £560 is most likely a billing code reduction, which is calculated by producing an accurate bill, taking off what you've paid off the oldest section and then removing any under charge that is older than 12 months - this does effectively mean that you'd still have a full year's consumption to pay.

I'm wondering if this was considered when you had the first year bill as it should have been. If it hasn't then I would expect the Ombudsman to re-calculate this based on that.

Malc - perhaps if Lawrence sends you a private message you could investigate this and assist him further?

As ever, excellent advice nottslad. Thanks for that. Happy to point Lawrence in the right direction and give our Reviewers a nudge but, as above, little else I can do now the complaint has reached this stage. Happy to nudge them though.

Have a good weekend.

Malc

Do you have RCD/Earth leak detector on your consumer unit? If you have a faulty appliance you could be leaking current to earth and thus running up a bill without knowing it. Would only happen with certain old appliances and a fuse board that doesnt have earth trip but might be worth getting an electrician to chack your earth/neutral

Hi All

Sorry I haven't posted - been a busy week.

A lot has happened this week.

Firstly, I was able to buy an energy monitor from a boot sale for a bargain (£3) on Saturday, which, after installing, has given me a massive insight into what we are using and where it's being used the most.

The panel heaters in the bedrooms are chewing up the most electric - they are large and, although the're on LED timers, there are old. So we're putting them on only when we need them until the warmer weather kicks in.

All the figures for our usage that corresponds with the readings are correct. From this I can only assume that we have actually used the amount we owe.

I have taken meter readings for most of the week and found we have used on average, 18.83 units per day. We are being TONS more careful with our usage and checking the monitor a few times each night.

I have also decided not to pursue the matter with the Ombudsman for 2 reasons:

1) I don't like to go down these routes as they take too long and I don't like, what I feel is 'living in the past.' I have other debts which I am working hard and paying them off as quickly as possible.

2) There is no guarantee that I will gain much headway with the Ombudsman, and as there's every possibility we owe what we owe, we'll still have to pay it back.

There's no doubt that Eon's customer service with us has been rubbish, and their 'Goodwill Gesture' has been inadequate, but I am not in a good position to negotiate on anything in this matter as I owe so much. There's also the fact that I have an online account that I can access anytime and would like to think that Eon will update my balance on a regular basis as they should (If not I'll ring them and ask that they sort it). I have kept the Direct Debit at the same amount so should make up a lot of the arrears over the summer months, together with extra payments when I can.

In answer to your question @ericsbrother, the fusebox is relatively new and as far as we know the panel heaters and immersion heaters are not faulty (we had the main element in the immersion heater replaced last year.) We have relatively new cooker and new washing machine.

I will keep on top of this until the bill is paid, and with the monitor it should be a lot easier.

Thanks for your help all, the last couple of weeks has taught me a lot about our electric systems.

One last question, does anyone know if the government is running a scheme for Central heating at a reduced rate?

Lawrence

Hello Lawrence.

Looks like you've pinpointed a particular source of usage. The type of heating arrangement described would definitely be classed as potentially high usage. It's good you're on top of this now and we might be able to help you cut down a bit more. When you've a minute, have a look at the 'Energy Saving' pages on our website. There are lots of tips on there to help save money by saving energy.

Have you thought about registering for a Smart Meter? They're not available everywhere yet but, if you're eligible, they'll help you keep on top of the ongoing usage. They come with an Energy Display similar to the one you've bought but ours will be set up specifically to suit your circumstances. It'll be set up with the prices you're paying so you can see in pounds and pence how much electricity you're using. Smart Meters also send us meter readings via electronic messages. No need to read the meter so one less job to think about. There's no charge for either the meter or display. Again, there's more information on our website including a form to register an interest.

As you've registered with our website, you'll be able to use 'Real Time Billing.' When logged in, just enter a reading and you'll have the option of seeing what balance this would result in or actually creating your own bill. It's a good way to make sure the account is in good order.

Another online tool that gives you more control is the 'Direct Debit Manager.' This helps you see if payments are covering the usage and also lets you change the monthly amount. Comes in handy should circumstances change. Provided the account is billed up to the latest readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the new amount, we'll let you know by how much we anticipate the account will be in credit/debit by the time of the annual review if payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected.

Have you heard about the Energy Company Obligation (ECO)? This is a Government led scheme that aims to cut usage by providing help with energy saving stuff like faulty boilers, loft and cavity wall insulation. More information on our website about this too.

Whilst on our website, check out our tariffs. Make sure you're on the best one for your circumstances. I'd also pop your usage in kWh on to the independent comparison sites. This will let you see all the options both with us and with the other suppliers.

Hope this gives you a few ideas Lawrence. Let me know if you need any more information. Happy to help.

Malc

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon Lawrence. Just thought I'd stop by to see how you're going on monitoring the electricity. Anything unusual? Are the panel heaters in the bedroom still going through electricity? Hopefully, the better weather we've seen recently will start to make a difference and give you some breathing space. Don't forget about the pages on our website to help save money by saving energy.

Once you've cleared the arrears, the monthly payments can be reduced to cover the ongoing usage only. You know where I am if you've any more questions although I'm out of the office after today for 10 days. Don't worry, my colleague Helena will be around to help.

Have a good weekend Lawrence.

Malc

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

my best advice to you knowing this come is get shot of as quickly as possible.do not pay them for estimated bills.

They are obliged by law to read the meter every 2 years. This is when they are known to bill the old bill reversal trick on customer to **** and con you.

AsI have stated before if you have not increased floor area ie new bedroom kitchen etc, then there is no reason for increased usage.

If you have not increased kw of appliances there is no increased usage.

EON in particular thro the direct debit payments in the first instance sacm customers and then pull the old switcroo in bill reversal.

Go through your bills carefullyBut best advice ditch them 2 years will become 4 years. You are well warned.

Change now.

Edited by honeybee13
Pejorative remark removed.

Save money, how about paying compensation Malc to the customer . lets cal it a good will gesture lets say £1000.

By the way the comment above about earth leakage circuit breakers/RCD in he consumer is nonsense.

Afternoon Lawrence. Just thought I'd stop by to see how you're going on monitoring the electricity. Anything unusual? Are the panel heaters in the bedroom still going through electricity? Hopefully, the better weather we've seen recently will start to make a difference and give you some breathing space. Don't forget about the pages on our website to help save money by saving energy.

Once you've cleared the arrears, the monthly payments can be reduced to cover the ongoing usage only. You know where I am if you've any more questions although I'm out of the office after today for 10 days. Don't worry, my colleague Helena will be around to help.

Have a good weekend Lawrence.

Malc

Hi Lawrence

Bit late coming to this, but please find below a copy of schedule 7 of the Electricity Act 1989. Note the obligation on the supplier at item 7 and 8 and 10. This is also covered under the Utilities Act 2000 in schedule 5.

Please have a read. I note Malc has fell into his old ways of being economical with the truth contrary to EON's obligations under SLC25C.4 . Malc good day, perhaps you could tell the customer what SLC25C.4 refers to and the specific obligation in law that EON must comply with? Will you do that?

I would also refer Lawrence to SLC 12.14 to SLC 12.16 ( see below).

Now the Elec Act 1989 states:-

Elec Act 1989 SCHEDULE 7

Use etc. of Electricity Meters Consumption to be ascertained by appropriate meter

1 (1) Where a customer of an [F1 authorised supplier] is to be charged for his supply wholly or partly by reference to the quantity of electricity supplied, the supply shall be given through, and the quantity of electricity shall be ascertained by, an appropriate meter.

[F2(1A) An authorised supplier may give a supply otherwise than through an appropriate meter in such circumstances as may be prescribed.]

[F3(2) If the [F1 authorised supplier] agrees, the meter may be provided by the customer [F4(who may provide a meter which belongs to him or is made available otherwise than in pursuance of arrangements made by the supplier)]; but otherwise it shall be provided by the [F1 authorised supplier][F5(who may provide a meter which belongs to him or to any person other than the customer)].

(2A) [F6An authorised supplier] may refuse to allow one of his customers to provide a meter only if there are reasonable grounds for his refusal.]

(3) The meter shall be installed on the customer’s premises in a position determined by the [F1authorised supplier], unless in all the circumstances it is more reasonable to place it outside those premises or in some other position.

.(4) The [F1 authorised supplier] may require the replacement of any meter provided and installed in accordance with sub-paragraphs (2) and (3) above where its replacement

.(a) is necessary to secure compliance with this Schedule or any regulations made under it; or

.(b) is otherwise reasonable in all the circumstances;

.and any replacement meter shall be provided and installed in accordance with those sub-paragraphs.

(5) If the customer refuses or fails to take his supply through an appropriate meter provided and installed in accordance with sub-paragraphs (2) and (3) above, the supplier may refuse to give or may discontinue the supply.

(6) For the purposes of this paragraph a meter is an appropriate meter for use in connection with any particular supply if it is of a pattern or construction which, having regard to the terms on which the supply is to be charged for, is particularly suitable for such use.

(7) Section 23 of this Act shall apply in relation to any dispute arising under this paragraph between [F7an electricity supplier] and a customer F8. . ..

(8)Pending the determination under section 23 of this Act of any dispute arising under this paragraph, the meter and its provision and installation shall be such as the Director may direct; and directions under this sub-paragraph may apply either in cases of particular descriptions or in particular cases.

(9) Part I of this Act shall apply as if any duty or other requirement imposed on [F7an electricity supplier] by directions under sub-paragraph (8) above were imposed by directions under section 23 of this Act.

(10) In this Schedule "exempt supply" means a supply of electricity to any premises where

(a) the premises are not premises used wholly or mainly for domestic purposes; or

(b) the [F1authorised supplier] or the customer is a person authorised by an exemption to supply electricity to those premises.

Restrictions on use of meters

2 (1) No meter shall be used for ascertaining the quantity of electricity supplied by an [F9authorised supplier] to a customer unless the meter

(a) is of an approved pattern or construction and is installed in an approved manner; and

(b) subject to sub-paragraph (2) below, is certified under paragraph 5 below;

and in this Schedule "approved" means approved by or under regulations made under this paragraph.

(2) Paragraph (b) of sub-paragraph (1) above shall not apply to a meter used in connection with an exempt supply if the [F9authorised supplier] and the customer have agreed in writing to dispense with the requirements of that paragraph.

(3)Regulations under this paragraph may provide

.(a)for determining the fees to be paid for approvals given by or under the regulations;

.(b)for revoking an approval so given to any particular pattern or construction of meter and requiring meters of that pattern or construction which have been installed to be replaced with meters of an approved pattern or construction within a prescribed period;

.©for revoking an approval so given to any particular manner of installation and requiring meters which have been installed in that manner to be installed in an approved manner within such a period;

.and may make different provision for meters of different descriptions or for meters used or intended to be used for different purposes.

3(1)If an [F10authorised supplier] supplies electricity through a meter which is used for ascertaining the quantity of electricity supplied and

.(a)is not of an approved pattern or construction or is not installed in an approved manner; or

.(b)in the case of a meter to which paragraph 2(1)(b) above applies, is not certified under paragraph 5 below,

.he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

[F11(1A)Regulations under paragraph 1(1A) may provide for this paragraph not to apply in such circumstances as may be prescribed (being circumstances in which an authorised supplier is not required to supply electricity through an appropriate meter).]

.(2)Where the commission by any person of an offence under this paragraph is due to the act or default of some other person, that other person shall be guilty of the offence; and a person may be charged with and convicted of the offence by virtue of this sub-paragraph whether or not proceedings are taken against the first-mentioned person.

.(3)In any proceedings in respect of an offence under this paragraph it shall be a defence for the person charged to prove that he took all reasonable steps and exercised all due diligence to avoid committing the offence.

.(4)No proceedings shall be instituted in England and Wales in respect of an offence under this paragraph except by or on behalf of the Director.

Meter examiners

4 (1) The Director shall appoint competent and impartial persons as meter examiners for the purposes of this Schedule.

(2) There shall be paid out of money provided by Parliament to meter examiners such remuneration and such allowances as may be determined by the Director with the approval of the Treasury; and such pensions as may be so determined may be paid out of money provided by Parliament to or in respect of such examiners.

(3) All fees payable in respect of the examination of meters by meter examiners shall be paid to the Director; and any sums received by him under this sub-paragraph shall be paid into the Consolidated Fund.

Certification of meters

5(1)Subject to sub-paragraph (2) below, a meter may be certified

(a)by a meter examiner appointed under paragraph 4 above; or

(b)by a person who is authorised to certify meters of that description by or under regulations made under this paragraph;

and in this paragraph "examiner" means a meter examiner or a person so authorised.

(2)No meter shall be certified unless the examiner is satisfied

(a)that the meter is of an approved pattern or construction; and

(b)that the meter conforms to such standards (including standards framed by reference to margins of error) as may be prescribed;

and references in this Schedule to prescribed margins of error shall be construed accordingly.

(3)An examiner may certify any meter submitted to him, notwithstanding that he has not himself examined or tested it, if

(a)the meter is submitted to him by F12. . . a person authorised by the Director for the purposes of this sub-paragraph;

(b)the meter is accompanied by a report stating that the meter has been examined and tested by the person submitting it and containing such other information as may be prescribed;

©the examiner considers that the report indicates that the meter is entitled to be certified;

(d)the meter is one of a number submitted at the same time by the same person,

and the examiner has himself examined and tested as many of those meters as he may consider sufficient to provide a reasonable test of all of them.

(4)Regulations under this paragraph may make different provision for meters of different descriptions or for meters used or intended to be used for different purposes and may include provision

(a)for the termination of certification in the case of meters which no longer conform to the prescribed standards and in such other cases as may be prescribed;

(b)for determining the fees to be paid for examining, testing and certifying meters, and the persons by whom they are to be paid; and

©as to the procedure to be followed in examining, testing and certifying meters.

.(5)Regulations under this paragraph above may also include provision

for determining the fee to be paid in respect of any authorisation under sub-paragraph (1) or (3) above;

(b)for imposing conditions on any such authorisation; and

©for withdrawing any such authorisation before the end of any period for which it is given if any of those conditions is not satisfied.

Apparatus for testing etc. of meters

6 (1) It shall be the duty of a person to whom this paragraph applies, that is to say, F13. . . a person authorised by the Director for the purposes of paragraph 5(3) above

(a) to provide and maintain such apparatus for the examination, testing and regulation of meters, and such apparatus for the sealing and unsealing of meters, as may be specified by a direction of the Director;

(b) to use apparatus so provided and maintained to carry out such examination, testing and regulation of meters, or to seal or unseal meters in such circumstances, as may be so specified; and

© to keep such records and make such reports of things done in pursuance of paragraph (b) above as may be so specified.

(2) It shall also be the duty of a person to whom this paragraph applies to afford to meter examiners, acting in the exercise of their functions under this Schedule, all necessary facilities for the use of apparatus provided and maintained in pursuance of sub-paragraph (1) above.

(3)If the Director considers that any person to whom this paragraph applies has made satisfactory arrangements whereby apparatus provided by some other person is available for the examination, testing or regulation of the first mentioned person’s meters, the Director may direct that this paragraph shall not apply to that person to such extent as may be specified in the direction.

(4) Any two or more persons to whom this paragraph applies may with the approval of the Director enter and carry into effect arrangements whereby apparatus provided by one or more of the parties is to be available to all or any of them for the purposes of fulfilling their obligations under this paragraph.

F14(5)

Testing etc. of meters

7 (1) It shall be the duty of a meter examiner, on being required to do so by any person and after giving notice to such persons as may be prescribed

(a) to examine and test any meter used or intended to be used for ascertaining the quantity of electricity supplied to any premises;

(b) to determine whether it is of an approved pattern or construction and, if it is installed for use, whether it is installed in an approved manner;

© to determine whether it is in proper order for ascertaining the quantity of electricity supplied within the prescribed margins of error and, if it has been in use and there is a dispute as to whether it registered correctly at any time, to determine if possible whether it registered within those margins at that time; and

(d) to make a written report of his conclusions as to the matters mentioned in paragraphs (b) and © above.

(2) If a meter examiner determines that a meter is, or was at any time, operating outside the prescribed margins of error, he shall if possible give an opinion as to

(a) any period for which the meter has or may have been so operating; and

(b) the accuracy (if any) with which it was or may have been operating for any such period.

(3) Regulations under this paragraph may make provision for determining the fees to be paid for examining and testing meters, and the persons by whom and the circumstances in which they are to be paid.

(4) In relation to a meter used or intended to be used in connection with an exempt supply, this paragraph shall have effect as if any reference to the prescribed margins of error included a reference to any margins of error agreed between the [F15 authorised supplier] and the customer (in this Schedule referred to as "agreed margins of error").

8 (1) This paragraph applies where there is a genuine dispute as to the accuracy of a meter used for ascertaining the quantity of electricity supplied to any premises and notice of the dispute

(a) is given to the [F16 authorised supplier] by the customer, or to the customer by the [F16 authorised supplier]; or

(b) is given to the [F16 authorised supplier] and to the customer by any other person interested.

(2) Except with the approval of a meter examiner and, if he so requires, under his supervision, the meter shall not be removed or altered by the supplier or the customer until after the dispute is resolved by agreement or the meter is examined and tested under paragraph 7 above, whichever first occurs.

(3) If the supplier or the customer removes or alters the meter in contravention of sub-paragraph (2) above, he shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 2 on the standard scale.

Meters to be kept in proper order

10 (1) A customer of an [F17 authorised supplier] shall at all times, at his own expense, keep any meter [F18 provided by] him in proper order for correctly registering the quantity of electricity supplied to him; and in default of his doing so the supplier may discontinue the supply of electricity through that meter.

(2) An [F17 authorised supplier] shall at all times, at his own expense, keep any meter [F19 provided] by him to any customer in proper order for correctly registering the quantity of electricity supplied and, in the case of pre-payment meters, for operating properly on receipt of the necessary payment.

[F20(2A)

Section 23 of this Act shall apply in relation to any dispute arising under this paragraph between an electricity supplier and a customer.]

(3)

(4) Sub-paragraphs (2) and (3) above are without prejudice to any remedy the supplier may have against the customer for failure to take proper care of the meter.

Now, Standard Licence Conditions (these are law) SLC 12.14 to 12.16

Inspection of Electricity Meters

12.14 Unless the Authority otherwise consents, the licensee must take all reasonable steps to ensure that it inspects, at least once every two years, any Non-HalfHourly Meter in respect of premises at which it has at all times during that period been the Relevant Electricity Supplier.

12.15 An inspection under paragraph 12.14 must be carried out by a person possessing appropriate skill and experience.

12.16 An inspection under paragraph 12.14 must include:

(a) taking a meter reading; and

(b) a visual inspection of any Metering Equipment for the purpose of assessing whether:

(i) there has been damage to the Metering Equipment or to any electrical plant or electric line;

(ii) there has been interference with the Non-Half-Hourly Meter to alter its register or prevent it from duly registering the quantity of electricity supplied; or

(ii) the Non-Half-Hourly Meter has deteriorated in any way that might affect its safety or proper functioning.

You state EON read the meter 8 times that means under SLC 21B.1 they should have used these meter readings in your next bill. Did they? Or as is usually the case with EON, did the fail in their obligations in law, continue to lie, mis lead by material omission you the customer by using Estimated readings in your next bill( which Malc’s honesty ( and I thank him for that admission), admits EON haven’t a clue how to do this, but nor do other suppliers either( So Its a business practice [problem] and a con from EON to fool the gullible It's called Bill reversal).

Did EON pull the old bill reversal trick. That is, 2 years later EON send a revised bill for the last 2 years and insert actual meter readings for estimated meter readings, but EON's IT system losses your on account payments you have made over the last 2 years. ( They blame this in operator error when inputting the data more like insufficiently trained staff and a **** IT system that does not work and a CEO who will not fix the problem). Be warned.

Now, EON have selective amnesia and fail to tell you this. I would be happy to look into it for you in your invoices but would need copies of all old bills over a 2 year bill. Can you post these on line?

From what you say this appears to have happened at some point but without all the facts difficult to tell 100%. But well worth checking.

Perhaps , Malc will post on the thread, what the Bill reversal problem is all about and more importantly, what EON are doing to rid themselves of the problem and a date when it will be complete?

How about it Malc?

Now SLC 21B states:-

Condition SLC 21B. Billing based on meter readings

21B.1 If a Customer provides a meter reading to the licensee that the licensee considers reasonably accurate, or if the Electricity Meter is read by the licensee, the licensee must take all reasonable steps to reflect the meter reading in the next Bill or statement of account sent to the Customer.

21B.2 If the licensee considers that a meter reading provided by a Customer is not reasonably accurate, the licensee must take all reasonable steps to contact the Customer to obtain a new meter reading from him. 21B.3 Paragraphs 21B.4 and 21B.5 apply from 31 December 2014.

21B.4 The licensee must take all reasonable steps to obtain a meter reading (including any meter reading transmitted electronically from a meter to the licensee or provided by the Customer and accepted by the licensee) for each of its Customers at least once every year.

This paragraph does not apply in relation to any Customer with a Prepayment Meter.

21B.5 The licensee must make available a Bill or statement of account to each of its Customers at least twice yearly and at least quarterly to any Customer who requests it or who has Online Account Management.

This paragraph does not apply in relation to any Customer with:

(a) a Prepayment Meter;

(b) a Smart Metering System;

© unmetered supply as defined in regulation 2 of the Electricity (Unmetered Supply) Regulations 2001(1).

21B.6 Where a Customer requests Online Account Management the licensee must comply with that request.

21B.7 Where a Customer requests an explanation of how their Bill or statement of account was derived the licensee must comply with that request in plain and intelligible language.

21B.8 The licensee must not make a specific charge for the provision of a Bill or statement of account or for access in an appropriate way to the consumption data used to calculate that Bill or statement of account.

This paragraph does not apply in respect of providing additional copies of a Bill or statement of account to a Customer.

21B.9 Where a Customer requests the licensee to make available information on their energy billing and historical consumption either to the Customer or to any other person designated by the Customer the licensee must comply with that request to the extent that the information requested is available and as soon as reasonably practicable.

Also whilst you are at it Malc , can you explain for Lawrence and others what standing charges are and post this in the thread?

Malc, let this be a lesson in honesty , accuracy and appropriateness to all at EON and further improvements are needed in it’s customer service.

Lets have the truth about Bill Reversal?

And how’s that £1000 compensation as a sign of goodwill coming along for the customer, take it out of Cocker’s business expenses. 2 Years of an EON farce must be at least worth that. But Lawrence you might want more compensation I would , I will leave it to you.

Lawrence and for others with an EON farce ( and there are many out there) , EON's CEO email address :[email protected]. Write to him. He will do nothing but you bypass all the time waters in EON who’s job it is to frustrate you, mis- lead you, and are not honest with you. But at least you are aware of their game.

Also email these two address[email protected],and[email protected]

You will have to keep plugging away. EON customer services is Tony Cocker's business practices. The buck stops at him.

If you are still unsure come back to me.

Hope this helps and I am looking forward to Malc’s honest input into the Bill reversal problem, and what standing charges are levied specifically for.

Over to you Malc. I will keep a look out for your reply.

Stevie

[/size]

Stevie, I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve from your posts and how the Op is going to gain any benefit from your advice or the questions you are asking of Malc.

As a customer service rep for EON Malc will of course have to tow the company line and will not be able to answer most of your questions, which seem to be asking for opinion.

EON's customer account system is an in-house developed bespoke system with an Oracle database back end. By no means is it perfect, but I can categorically say from first hand experience that it is better and more reliable than those in operation at Natwest, Capital One, Boots and Virgin Media.

You mention something about payments not being taken in to account when re-billing activity takes place. This can't happen - there is no manual input of payments from anyone in the billing department if an account is re-billed. A domestic bill, if re-billed, is "backed out" ie cancelled and taken back to a particular date / meter read. Subsequent meter reads, as long as usable, are used in the billing back to the current / most recent read. Payments made are then subtracted from the amount of the re-bill.

For some weird reason, Nottslad's reply would not allow me to reply with quotes in his reply, something for the mods to , look into , I will answer Nottslad here.

Nottslad,

I take it from the naive reply , your are employed by EON or have been employed by EON in the past?

It not just about the OP but to alert every EON customer present or future customer about EON’s law breaking , bad customer service record, failure to correct an industry wide bill reversal problem that this forum and the Martin Lewis forum insiders have testified to the problem.

But you alone seem to be in denial about.

You say , what do I want, well it’s about what every energy user wants Nottslad and I include yourself:-

1, Customer Service of a 5* rating , currently EON are at -3 for EON and dropping fast.

2. Stop EON , a company with a career criminal in charge, breaking UK law(s) , year on year since 2012. That’s multiple law breaking, and its getting worse.

3. To get compensation for a 2 year EON farce to the OP and all other EON customer who have complained. Let's set a minimum of £1200 per complaint. It should make the EON board’s eyes water, but readdress for the many EON farces that are evidenced hear and on previous pages of this very forum. Disgraceful customer service and Malc should come clean.

4. EON, over the next 3 years to reduce by half, every year, the number of outstanding and new complaints to zero which can only be achieved by employing a 5* customer service.

5. Lower energy cost, wholesale prices are at a 6 year low, yet EON’s board have failed to pass this onto the customer. So much for loyalty. Customer be aware! So much for free competition.

6. Bill reversal an industry wide problem to be eradicated. I have seen the evidence of this and many other energy company scams and in particular the Bill reversal” problem that you deny and which occurs across the industry. If energy companies read the meter ever quarter like over the last 50 years, the problem would not occur. Equally the problem would not occur if energy companies complied with SLC 21B.1. which states:-

21B.1. If a Customer provides a meter reading to the licensee that the licensee considers reasonably accurate, or if the Electricity Meter is read by the licensee, the licensee must take all reasonable steps to reflect the meter reading in the next Bill or statement of account sent to the Customer” and or ;”

It is one of the biggest [problem] occurring in the Energy Industry.

7. EON to comply with SLC 25C.4( the one I asked Malc to come clean on, and as he is hiding with selective anaemia , I will clarify for all customers something which si UK law for and on behalf of the OP which is :-

SLC25C.4:- to be honesty, accurate , transparent , professional and not to mis-lead or to have material omissions, when dealing with customers.

No wonder Malc would not answer , its clearly, EON board policy to break this law at every opportunity and the proof of that is given on this very website by ever customer complaints against EON and the OP 2 year farce.

2 years of EON farce. The words EON and farce are made for each other. Again any customer thinking of employing this company stay well clear. EON are repeat law breakers, did you know that Nottslad or would you deny that as well?

The SLC 25C.4 ( sorry the format has not held but this can be downloaded from the Ofgem website under codes and licences ( Electrical supply Licences)

9k=

8. EON to stop ripping off , old age pensioner’s and the venerable with their £6 million bribe to Age Concern.

9.EON to stop attending customers properties unannounced and causing the customer harassment to replace their meter with a pre- payment meter, without first having obtained a warrant , which in case of genuine disputes with a customer, they cannot do as the customer is protected in law by the Electricity Act schedule 6. Strangely Malc and the rest of the EON rep team often forget to come clean on this point when replying in the threads over the years. Why is that Malc? Board Policy to lie to customers or just selective amnesia?

10 Stop EON from failing to meet their obligations and duties laid down in law and within EON’s standard licence conditions.

11 And yes EON , npower( Both German companies) and British Gas the sick joke of the industry, are the worst offenders.

12. let’s have from all Energy Companies honesty , accuracy and the truth at all times.

I still invite Malc to reply to the points I raised and come clean on points of law and tell the customer the truth after all its is EON obligation in law to do so!

Stevie

Hi all

Apologies for the length and the sarcasm of this post but as in the title - this has been going on a long time and was on the phone for an hour to Eon today.

We moved in to our 3 bed terraced in Nov 13 and kept with Eon as the supplier.

The house has no gas but we noticed old storage heaters downstairs that I removed as I knew they were expensive to use (and in one case, broken anyway).

As we have two meters, one that runs the heaters and the other runs all other services, I was under the impression that, when I asked them to, Eon would arrange the removal of one meter and the change of the other through Scottish Power.

On 15 Jan 2015, I received a yearly electricity bill of £1025. I emailed several times why I wasn't receiving more regular bills but received no reply.

After a sarcastic but angry email, my query was taken up by a dedicated complaints manager who advised that the meter would be change over for the correct rate meter and remove the redundant one. This was replaced on 5 March 2015.

She also set up a direct debit for £120 for my current usage and £42 for the arrears for the next 24 months.

I was under the impression, she had also ensured I could submit meter readings online to keep things accurate.

However I was unaware that she hadn't. I had attempted to submit meter readings online from my single meter, but these were rejected as the system required me to submit readings from 2 separate meters. (I have been told today that my reading were placed on file as 'notes')

Over the last 2 years, on about 8 occasions, I have had readers in to read my meter.

In addition, all my bills have been estimated statements.

As I have said, I run electric only, a fire in the lounge when it's cold and 3 x panel heaters upstairs which are run on timers for 1-2 hours per night depending on the time of year, immersion heater and cooker.

Today, I received my second annual bill from Eon totalling £1753. It seems my usage has gone up to 50 kwh per day and I have not even paid my usage for this year, much less the arrears from last year.

As stated, I spent an hour with a complaint manager that offered me £560 off the bill from their reviewing my account, which seems poor as I thought the £42 was for that purpose and expected some reduction in the previous year's arrears. On hearing this I escalated my complaint to a bill review department. I stated to him that I wanted at least some of the previous years arrears to be discounted.

He stated I had a choice:

Pay £93 for a 'load check' on my meter, or

Have the meter changed completely and he stated he would monitor the usage over the next few weeks to check usage.

I can't afford the £93 so opted for the meter change and monitor.

After speaking to the appointments department, he said they would not change the meter as they say there they monitor the meter and there is be nothing wrong with it. (How do they know this and if they do know, why can't they take meter readings from it direct?)

So I am left with a £1753 bill with a £560 reduction and a £20 'gesture of goodwill' to cover phone costs, etc (thanks!) - Final total - £1173

What I want to know, if anyone can answer, is:

Do I have a case here with the Ombudsman? I have had dealings with other (Financial) Ombudsman in the past and have found them to be ineffective in helping me with my case. Is this the same with the Energy Ombudsman?

Could my meter be faulty? Unless I pay the £93, I have no way of finding out.

Why don't we have an industry standard (which I questioned in the phone call) for energy usage?

Should I be resigned to paying as much as I can for the next 10 years while I save the money to pay these bully boys in full? Do I have any rights here? (Should I ask for their Consumer Credit Licence number as they now offer/encourage overdrafts!)

I have just checked my account and I can now submit a meter reading for a single meter - for the first time in 13 months

We are paying other debts off at the moment but it's slow progress - this feels like 5 steps back.

Apologies again for the sarcasm - even writing this is p*ssing me off.

Thanks for reading

Lawrence

Morning Stevie.

Sorry for the late reply but, as I mentioned above, I've been away for a time. Bit longer than expected actually. I can see you've raised a number of concerns and posted a lot of detailed information. I'll do my best to advise on as much as possible. For anyone else who might be interested and for ease of reading, I'll spread my replies over several posts. Please don't think I'm ignoring something if I don't address it immediately. I'll reach it eventually.

Thanks for your patience Stevie.

Malc

my best advice to you knowing this come is get shot of as quickly as possible.do not pay them for estimated bills.

They are obliged by law to read the meter every 2 years. This is when they are known to bill the old bill reversal trick on customer to **** and con you.

AsI have stated before if you have not increased floor area ie new bedroom kitchen etc, then there is no reason for increased usage.

If you have not increased kw of appliances there is no increased usage.

EON in particular thro the direct debit payments in the first instance sacm customers and then pull the old switcroo in bill reversal.

Go through your bills carefullyBut best advice ditch them 2 years will become 4 years. You are well warned.

Change now.

Hello Stevie.

You're absolutely right. We're obliged to read electricity meters at least once every 2 years. We do, though, try to read them more often. We're also happy to accept customer's readings and have various channels where this can be done. These include online through our website or mobile phone app, by phone (Contact Centres are open from 8am to 8pm weekdays and between 8am and 6pm on Saturdays), by text, email or via our Social Media channels, twitter and Facebook. We're also rolling out Smart Meters throughout the UK. These take away the need for customers to read meters. Here, readings are automatically sent to us via electronic messages although we'll continue to visit once every couple of years to make sure meters are accurate and safe. If all this fails, we've a system in place to contact customers to arrange to visit at a mutually convenient time.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'bill reversal' but I'll hazard a guess and sorry if I'm wrong. I'm sure you'll put me straight. Do you mean rebilling over a long period? Taking Lawrence's situation and, please remember, I speculated a lot there as I didn't see the account. I suspected the meter exchange caused a delay in sending an accurate bill despite having visited on 8 occasions to read the meter. It appeared, once we had sorted the difficulty, we were able to rebill the account to replace estimated readings with accurate ones. This was the right thing to do as it corrected the account so that it reflected electricity used.

As nottslad says, to do this, we go back to a point in time or a particular reading and start from there. Provided we have them, this lets us replace estimated readings with the right ones and bring the account up to date. All payments made during this time are then applied to give a proper picture of where accounts are at. As I mentioned in post 9, in cases where we're at fault for not billing correctly, we'll apply the Billing Code. Here, electricity used more than 12 months from when the problem was fixed, will be written off. I think this was the £560 we knocked off Lawrence's bill although not 100 per cent sure on this as not confirmed.

On the usage issue you mention, Lawrence confirms in post 14, panel heaters (large and old) were responsible for 'chewing up the most electric' and assumes he 'actually used the amount' owed. This is not to gloss over our shortcomings. Lawrence was quite right to be annoyed about the delay sending an accurate bill and the time it took to sort out. If you're reading Lawrence, sorry again about this.

Much of this is speculation Stevie and sorry if I'm on the wrong track. I've not come across the term 'bill reversal' before and hope I've interpreted what you mean correctly.

Malc

Save money, how about paying compensation Malc to the customer . lets cal it a good will gesture lets say £1000.

By the way the comment above about earth leakage circuit breakers/RCD in he consumer is nonsense.

Following on from my previous post Stevie. It looks as though Lawrence has gone through our complaints procedure which was the right thing to do have done. Advisors involved with this are the ones who look at whether or not compensation is due and judge each case on its individual merits. From what's been posted, it looks like £560 has been knocked off the outstanding balance, possibly due to the Billing Code, plus a further £20. As above, if Lawrence is unhappy with this, he'll need to go back to the team who dealt with the complaint or approach the Ombudsman.

Lawrence, if you are reading and if you haven't already, you can ask for a payment arrangement to spread the outstanding balance over a longer period. Might help and sorry I didn't mention this before.

Stevie, the stuff about RCD/Earth leakage wasn't me. Not something I know anything about. Perhaps ericsbrother (post 12) might be able to advise further?

Thanks.

Malc