Car crashed into my sisters car and drove off after refusing to give details

JoeyJoeC
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just some advice needed here, I know ideally I should ask my sister to come here and make the post.

A car in a Salisbury's car park was reversing and almost knocked someone over, before hitting the front of my sisters car.

The person then refused to give any details and drove off. My sister has pictures of the woman and her car, and has got her reg number.

It has been reported to the police as a hit and run.

The damage is a split front bumper on my sisters car. Nothing too major.

The advice I am looking for is will this affect her premiums if she made a claim though the insurance of the other car (using askmid.com)?

I know she needs to inform her own insurance company, but that shouldn't affect her making a claim should it?

Thanks

You supply the insurer with the details you gave the police, and the crime number, The insurer will do the rest. Its what you pay them for.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Without knowing for certain, I would say yes. It matters not which way the claim is, to the money grabbing insurance companies a claim is a claim.

I'd like to be proved wrong.

I'm afraid that I think that this is correct. You have to record it. It will be logged as an accident and it is likely that your premium will increase.

You should put as much pressure as possible on the police to prosecute.

You need to inform your insurance that there's been a rta.

However I very strongly recommend that you pursue compensation via the third party insurance and not yours.

If you let your insurance deal with the claim, they will pay for the damage and you will lose your ncb.

In theory they should re-instate your ncb once they recover the money from the third party, but you don't know if and when that will happen.

Hit and run is serious and the third party insurance would possibly cancel the insurance, getting the woman in a lot of trouble when she wants to buy another insurance.

If this happened today, see what information becomes available in the next 24 hours. The Police might have paid this lady a visit and they might come back with details. Perhaps the car was not insured or she was not insured to drive it. Or she might be regretting her actions and will advise her Insurers to deal with your Sisters claim.

If your Sister has legal cover they will help her pursue whatever is needing to be claimed. This won't interest a no win no fee Solicitors, If there is not enough money involved e.g personal injury. Just getting the third parties details through Askmid and trying to claim directly might just lead to delay. They would have to write out to their policyholder, if they has not contacted them about the accident.

It would be quicker for your Sister to claim off her own policy, if the third party driver or third party insurers do not help within the next few days. Obviously claiming on her own policy means paying the excess and there is no guarantee it would be a non fault claim if the Insurers could not claim their outlay back.

Just in case of any argument about fault, check for CCTV in the car park.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks,

Some mixed advice. I would assume 3rd party means exactly that; covers 3rd party claims where they are at fault. She did check the number plate and they were insured. No CCTV in the area. I will check if the police have done anything. She doesn't want to go through her own insurance at all really. The bumper is worth less than what her premiums would end up being.

I have seen the pictures of both cars. It may make things difficult as my sister had just started to pull out of a space, (front wheels on the white line), when the other car fully reversed into her car from the space opposite. I know insurance companies love to get a 50/50 blame so it would be hard to prove which car hit which. She apparently said "I don't give out details" and then drove off. She had bright blue hair which matched the car! :lol:

Third party cover is to cover any liability against her for an accident she was found to have some fault for.

Given that your Sister started to move, it will probably go down as 50/50.

I am not sure it is worth pursuing. I suspect if she tried to claim off the other drivers third party cover, they won't be that helpful. If it ends up as a 50/50 she will get half of her costs back, but then the third party insurers may claim off your Sisters policy, if the third makes a claim for damage to their car.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread