Banned from department store forever for shoplifting - need advice please!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2920 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear all,

I am 19 years old and was apprehended by security officials whilst leaving this department store a day ago.

I know shoplifting is wrong, this is my first offence, and I want to keep it that way.

They took me into a side room when they told me that this was due to shoplifting a month ago.

One security guard said he remembered my face.

When I asked if I could be shown the tape they said only the police could access that,

and if I didn’t comply the police would be called and they would see/would be able to show me the tape.

They asked me my details (name, DOB, address), which I gave them,

and also to empty the contents of my pocket/bag.

I showed them what was in my bag and my pockets.

They saw my ID via my buspass as I had no other ID with me and took photos of it and of me.

I told them I am ill, with epileptic fits and some forgetfulness which is true.

I paid via bank transfer but DIDN’T admit to the crime

– I said I couldn’t recall being in the store at the time.

After paying I was given a letter saying I was banned from the store

and that my details would be passed onto the police to say the matter has been resolved.

I want to know if you guys think I did the right thing by complying.

Do you think they were lying about having it on tape?

Also they said the matter wouldn’t be on a criminal record or anything,

so I assume I didn’t this won’t appear on any background checks even extended ones?

Thank you for your replies!!!

Looks to me as though you have been well and truly scammed !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

who did you pay?

name the store too

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

sorry you need to name them

you should never had paid anyone anything

they do not have the power to fine you.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

YOU should get the police on this asap. You might get a slap on the wrist, but them giving you a bank accoutn and sort code sounds very wrong. It could very well be the security guards own bank account.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

And think about how many times this has happened, where hes blackmailed people into paying into that suspicious account, or he will call the police.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

It didn't seem dodgy in the payment sense. There were two guards (one male, one female) and then a third came in with the head of security on the phone. The head of security gave me the bank details to transfer to.

If I had my card with me I would have had to pay with that.

Also I accidentally made the payment twice. Later, they did call me and say that I did and they'd refund me the extra payment on Monday (18/04/16)

Hi and welcome.

How much did you pay?

if you need to keep this confidential, you can send a private message to any member of the site team.

My immediate instinct is to do a chargeback with your bank as this payment was made under duress and with no CCTV proof supplied that you are the same person they think you are irrespective of whether you have shoplifted.

You have a right to the images and them saying only the police have access to them is a lie,

This is very dubious practice and one I would like to take up with the store in question, especially if it is a large company.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

was the payment paying for the goods you supposedly stole?

and not a 'fixed fee' because you did it

and they

The price paid was £190.00.

If I do a charge back, surely they'll pursue me as they know where I live and which institution I am enrolled in?

I was thinking perhaps they didn't wish to spend the man hours to find and pinpoint the images, and would only do so if the police came and they had to show proof?

The price paid was £190.00.

If I do a charge back, surely they'll pursue me as they know where I live and which institution I am enrolled in?

I was thinking perhaps they didn't wish to spend the man hours to find and pinpoint the images, and would only do so if the police came and they had to show proof?

well we now know what the reason for., best you paid for the items so leave it at that! and not untoward!

you do state supposedly taken surely ACTUALLY taken?

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Where is the proof that she/he has taken these goods? The OP says they can not remember being in the store at that time, plus what security guard can remember a face a month on?

That's why I said "if"...

Should the opposite be true, by all means get a chargeback and put them to strict proof that you stole from the store.

Said that, wouldn't you remember taking £190 of goods without paying?

And even if you didn't remember, did you find these items at home?

very vague be honest I k now security people who can remember people years later, they use to borrow my office to interview people, and also most of those security officers were ex CID etc male/female

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Having seen the newer updates I would make this observation.

If the amounts stolen were to the value of £190 (or thereabouts) and it WAS the OP that stole the items (He/she has admitted shoplifting) and has now paid for the amounts stolen which may include an admin fee (actual costs) then that should be the end of the matter.

I am still concerned in the way it was done as no proof was supplied to the OP that showed they were the person that stole the items on that particular day however if it all tallies up then the OP has no comeback.

I would put this behind you, make sure that they give you back the second amount accidentally taken then move on to a crime free life. Much better for you in the long run.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE