• Tweets

• The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
    • Doubt the uneconomic write off would be registered, unless you agreed to accept write off settlement of the claim. It is just cosmetic damage. All that has happened, is that the car has been looked at and they realised the repair costs are going to exceed the value of the car. If the car is perfectly driveable with no upcoming normal work required to pass next MOT, your current Insurers will continue Insurance and you can accept an amount from third party Insurers to go towards you repairing the scratched bodywork.    
    • Peter McCormack says the huge investment by the twins will help Real Bedford build a new ground.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Endsleigh car insurance: how a false allegation can ruin you

Whisper2016
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2920 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been insured by Endsleigh car insurance for many years. Never had any problems - but reality is that you only really get to know your insurer in times of trouble. :|

In October 2015, a false allegation was made against me by a third party. The third party claims that I have crushed into their vehicle and darted off without stopping. The third party claims that they have CCTV of me - and there is even a rumour that this CCTV was handed to the third party by the police themselves.

Very curious, because on the day of the alleged incident I was overseas on a business trip. One would think that I can easily prove my innocence, right?

I have a stamped passport showing I left the country before the incident and arrived after the incident; on the day of the incident I used my credit card in a foreign country; on the day of the incident I made and received calls on my mobile phone, clearly showing that my location was overseas; my vehicle was parked in the airport car parks before the incident and was collected after the incident; the car parks have written to confirm that in this type of car park you do not have to submit your car keys - therefore the only pair of keys was with me.

Despite all of the above, my insurer sent an engineer to assess my vehicle. The engineer could not find any damage consistent with the allegation.

Yet, several months on, as I write this on April 2016, I am still being treated by my insurer as though I am guilty of a crime. The case is ongoing, and my insurer has now written to me saying that I have lost my 8 years of no claims discounts - despite the fact that case is ongoing, and despite my overwhelming evidence.

The third party has been challenged to show us the CCTV. They can't, or they won't, and Endsleigh keep "reminding" this third party to give us the CCTV. Not once did they think that in the absence of the CCTV being sent to us they should close the case. :mad2:

Most incredible of all is that when I made a complaint to Endsleigh, it took them half a day only - just HALF A DAY - to find against my complaint and to send me a leaflet with the Ombudsman details. Brilliant show Endsleigh - expert box ticking on your behalf. If only you were THAT quick with everything else that you do. :-x Months and months have passed since you have found against my complaint, and you are still scratching your chins wondering what you can do next to prove me guilty. You have seen all my evidence - there is no chance in the world that I could have been, or my car could have been, involved in the alleged incident. How can you still have this as an ongoing case, and how in the world did you only need half a day to find against my complaint?

What's even more impressive is that when the allegation was first made against me, Endsleigh did not bother to tell me. They started working on a case against me, recording details that the third party sent to them, but they did not call me or message me to tell me. Two weeks after the allegation I found out when the third party sent me a letter to say they are making a claim through my insurance and there's nothing I can do about it - this is just for "information purposes". At that point I rang Endsleigh, they told me that they tried to contact me leaving "a voicemail and a message". I did not receive a missed call, a voice mail or a message. In any case, does it even matter that they tried to contact me, IF indeed they did? I was under the impression that their contractual obligation is to ACTUALLY contact me, not to try to (and fail) at contacting me. At least if you could prove that you have sent a message to me, or an email, I could put it down to just bad luck for not hearing from you. But this isn't the case at all is it?

Shame on you Endsleigh. You stole my no claims discount over nothing. I am dealing with an insurer who has no sense of urgency and no sense of justice. I will have a new born in 2 months and clearly I have better things to worry about - I guess I should just move on to another insurer, lose my discounts, and accept the fact that people in your line of business are the judge, jury and executioner of us poor motorists.

Edited by Whisper2016

If you want to deal with this, we can help you but you will have to be prepared to make trouble.

Read ICOBS and monitor this thread for a fuller response tomorrow

hi

welcome to cag.

was your complaint escalated higher up within endsleigh/zurich for resolution. to patrick Cohen/David Nichols (afaik?) perhaps..?

otherwise, take it to the ombudsman.

Thank you.

My original complaint was pretty much quashed right away. I was sent the Ombudsman leaflet presumably because that's the only option I have. The case is still ongoing according to my insurer - they have not made a decision that I should pay anything, and they keep telling me over the telephone that they "believe" it wasn't me or my car. The trouble is that they are refusing to close the case because the third party cannot provide CCTV, and instead they are waiting forever for the images to arrive. It is now time for me to renew my insurance policy, but they won't give me a letter confirming that I have 8 years no claims. In fact they have already sent me a letter saying that I don't have the privilege - even though the case is ongoing.

In all honesty I had enough, I am moving houses at the minute and getting ready to welcome my first child to the world. I can't see how the way that Endsleigh is treating me can possibly be legal - are they really entitled to take away my no claims during an ongoing case? Can a random person really claim they have cctv footage against you and then never show the footage to you, keeping your insurer deadlocked for months and then forcing you out of your no claims? This makes me feel like the victim of an insurance [problem] to be honest.

If you want to deal with this, we can help you but you will have to be prepared to make trouble.

Read ICOBS and monitor this thread for a fuller response tomorrow

I would really appreciate some help, I really don't know how to deal with these people any more. I can't imagine what it would be like if I was unfortunate enough not to have been out of the country on that day. The way they are handling this is shocking, I couldn't think of a worse way to do it if I tried.

Thank you. I look forward to your reply.

My original complaint was pretty much quashed right away. I was sent the Ombudsmanlink3.gif leaflet presumably because that's the only option I have

sometimes an initial response re a complaint is reviewable (ie it gets escalated to someone higher up than the initial responder), and then a final response if no resolution. then off to an ombudsman/regulator. but, sometimes writing to those even higher up can produce positive results before having to go to an ombudsman or the like. hence my thoughts there. :)

anyway, wait see bankfodder's reply.

I suspect that the third party has got the wrong car registration and have found your Insurance details in error.

If you have the third parties details, there is nothing stopping you sending them a letter highlighting that they have made a mistake identifying the wrong vehicle, as you were abroad at the time of this alleged accident, with your car in an airport compound, with no keys available to the parking company, Ask them to provide the CCTV and/or full details of the car make/model/colour and description of the driver.

Endsleigh are being a bit silly with this, if the situation is as you have described. You could send Endsleigh a Data Protection Subject Access Request for a copy of your claim file.

A question you could ask Endsleigh is whether the third party has provided details of your car make/model/colour and does this match your car.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I suspect that the third party has got the wrong car registration and have found your Insurance details in error.

If you have the third parties details, there is nothing stopping you sending them a letter highlighting that they have made a mistake identifying the wrong vehicle, as you were abroad at the time of this alleged accident, with your car in an airport compound, with no keys available to the parking company, Ask them to provide the CCTV and/or full details of the car make/model/colour and description of the driver.

Endsleigh are being a bit silly with this, if the situation is as you have described. You could send Endsleigh a Data Protection Subject Access Request for a copy of your claim file.

A question you could ask Endsleigh is whether the third party has provided details of your car make/model/colour and does this match your car.

Indeed - we suspected that the third party had incorrect details read off the CCTV imaging. However, the third party has initiated this claim through a legal service (FMG). FMG were only in touch once, telling me that they are making this claim - and that their letter is only for "information purposes". I have tried to contact them by telephone and by email to explain, but none of my messages have been responded to; they only communicate with my insurer.

Endsleigh have requested the CCTV imaging, time and time and time again. The third party is not providing it, or cannot provide it, and so Endsleigh keep requesting. I have been kept in the dark with regard to what information has been supplied. Endsleigh do not appear to have been given anything by the third party other than the day and time, a vehicle registration number, and nothing else. I have been told by the handler at Endsleigh that they would like to see "whether the vehicle on the CCTV is [insert my vehicle brand and colour]", which surely means that the third party has not supplied this information.

How is it that the third party's blackout, refusing to supply further information, can prolong this matter for so long that Endsleigh can just send me a letter (dated 13 April 2016) to say that I no longer have a no claims discount? The case is ongoing, but in my opinion it's only ongoing because Endsleigh have not handled it in an appropriate manner. I have supplied overwhelming evidence that I was outside the country, nevermind their own engineer who can't find any damage to my vehicle. The amount of money and time I have spent on this already is shocking - and now I can't even insure my car unless I concede defeat and proceed with another insurer without my no claims discount.

Honestly, this is the sort of nonsense I have only ever read about and never experienced. I'm not used to being treated guilty and having to run around like a headless chicken to prove my innocence - and fail at it purely because my accuser doesn't reply to our requests to supply further accusations.

see also what bankfodder says.

maybe time to write to those endsleigh guys, or the like, i mentioned.

maybe also consider a complaint to fmg, ceo mark chessman according to their site.

otherwise, ombuds

Start writing.

Endsleigh ceo first of all, then the third party (the actual driver being hit) and fmg ceo.

Explain in no uncertain terms that if they do not stop pursuing this non-existent claim you will have to report driver and fmg to the police for insurance fraud within 7 days.

Not that you'll have an easy run with the police that nowadays claim that anything but murder is a civil dispute, but that should at least get a response.

they keep telling me over the telephone that they "believe" it wasn't me or my car.

And I suppose that you have got no evidence to prove that they have been saying this.

Please read our customer services guide. Implement the advice there. Call them again and manoeuvre them into the same conversation and try to get them to make the same admission that this time of course you will be recording the call.

This is an extremely important piece of information. Like most other people, you get involved in telephone conversations with companies and yet you never make any record of what has been said.

You need to change this approach.

Calling them again and getting this admission is extremely important. Do it straightaway.

Did you Read up about ICOBS?

At the moment you have not suffered any financial loss. However, once your insurance renewal is due you will have lost your NCB and this has a value. If you can prove all you have stated here then why not issue a small claim against the third party in respect of the value of your lost NCB. This will force him to either put up or shut up. His main piece of evidence is the CCTV which he will have to produce.

However I am not sure if you will be able to identify the name and contact address for the third party.