Employer #big4 supermarket not offering redundancy even though they are changing my job status.... is this allowed?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2926 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I currently work as a Deputy Manager (one of 300) for one of the big four supermarkets, and they have recently announced a new contract change that comes into force on Monday 18th April. In effect we are being demoted to a lesser position, that being of a duty manager. They argue that our job role is not really changing as we will still be doing the same job we have always done and they will not be reducing our pay.

However it is a HUGE drop in status as our current contract states we are 'autonomous decisions makers' which classes us as senior business leaders and opts us out of working time regulations. On our new contract we are not classed as this and we are therefore opted in to working time regulations.

In addition we also recieve free fuel and a car allowance which will also be taken off us although they have given us over a years notice before they take this away. However this is in our current contract that this can be removed at any time so do not think that we can argue the point much there.

The main issue is as Deputy Store Manager you are above all the other senior managers in the shop and now will be dropping to the same level as them so surely this counts as a drop in status, even though my salary will not be affected. It also effectively puts my career back 10 years as I was doing that job 10 years ago!

There have been various 1-2-1 meetings held with the outcome already decided, however I asked questions weeks ago which have still not been answered and I also have not got a copy of my new contract as yet. From what I have read online if i work on Monday then I am effectively accepting the new contract and will have no means to put a claim in, in the future.

Do I have a case for constructive dismissal??

Please help!!

Thanks in advance

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

Hi and welcome to cag, the employment law guru's will be along shortly to advise

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

the law does not allow much room for damage to feelings.

what financial loss are you suffering?

are you skilled to do the new job?

what do your union say?

and with so much experience, are you better going to a rival who would value your abilities more?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Thanks for the reply emmzzi.

I am currently looking for a new job.

Currently I do not want to accept what my company are offering, which is basically £8000 a year less to do the same job.

Obviously I want to contest but my contract states my added perks can be removed at anytime, so the only way I feel I would be able to claim would be via loss of status (from all I have read up on).

I can do the job no problem as the role is not really changing, the union are not involved as such. There was a representative group/forum who met at head office to discuss over four meetings and extended the perks for another 6 months on top of the original end date.

Just basically after over 20 years service I feel I should be offered redundancy as basically it is a demotion

More reasons to shop at..... yeah

Also, theres no constructive dismissal at all. Youll be doing the same job, same pay etc etc, just a different title.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Also, theres no constructive dismissal at all. Youll be doing the same job, same pay etc etc, just a different title.

Not same pay if hes losing £8000 a year

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Hold on ... In one post he states he will be on the same pay but later says he will Loss £8,000.

Which is It? Loss or no loss

if the £8,000 is the expenses then he has already said that he could lose it on his current contract so there is no los

Guest topcat14

If the employer can demonstrate that it has sound business reason for downgrading a position, then it has the right to do so. The contracts of the employees that are currently working those positions will need to be looked at/adjusted on an individual basis (hence the one to ones).

In my opinion the employer would not be considering the position as redundant, they still have the same tasks to perform, it is the perks that go with that role that will be reduced. As long as you have other rights per your old contract such as length of service and basic pay, then the contract has not materially changed, therefore, a constructive dismissal is less likely to succeed.

There is always a risk in these situations and the employer has taken the road that it views is the least risk. While that they cause some upset, at the end of the day they will achieve the goal for the ongoing business.

On a practicle basis your acceptance of the new terms from 18th April would be subject to you raising a grievance through the proper company procedure, if you feel strongly enough about it. You should have been given the right to appeal in any case against the changes otherwise within a very short time (say 1 month) the company could consider that you have accepted the new terms.

the law is biased to try and keep you IN a job.

I am sorry, I do not think this is going anywhere.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!