Business rates refund for semi commercial property

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2923 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been told that I don’t need to pay business rates and I would like to find out whether it is in fact the case. I have a shop with empty living accommodation above. I have to pay 150% council tax for the domestic part as no-one lives in it along with standard business rates. The rateable value is approx. £3000.

Someone else with a similar property he said that he had been advised that refunds don't apply to semi-commercial properties.

Does anyone have any firm knowledge of this and can advise on what would be involved in obtaining any refund?

I'd like to be armed with some facts when I approach the local council about it.

as you arent actually running a business it will be difficlut to claim small business relief. However, if the commercial aspect has been considered as part of the residential property then they should have cancelled the business rates. Decision very much in their hands as to waht is acceptable regarding what residential is and may be subject to planning consent.