Potential discrimination?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2931 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Went for an interview for a well known employer, on their job spec they did not say if an audio typing test would be required.

I am profoundly deaf and made the employer know of my hearing impairment before going on application form and was selected for an interview. I was required to do this test in my invitation letter.

The appropriate headset was not provided for me to do this job exercise when I arrived and there was panic to get me to do the test as no head set and they had to borrow a colleagues; as my hearing aids cannot go in ear headsets.

As I made them aware of my disability before hand is this discrimination that they did not make adjustments for my interview?

Not until I arrived. They had to phone a colleague to borrow theirs - they seemed bit annoyed about it - rest of the job I can do and 4 1/2 years similar experience. If everything else I can do except audio typing be the draw back if they don't provide an appropriate headset to do some of the job; because of my hearing still be discrimination?

they got you the equipment before you did the test so I am not sure how they have discriminated. Being disorganised doesn't equal discrimination. It's rude but not illegal.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

If everything else I can do except audio typing be the draw back if they don't provide an appropriate headset to do some of the job; because of my hearing still be discrimination? - I'd imagine they'll argue more experience was needed for audio typing but they did ask me what training I'd need and that was only matter and their system training 95 percent of the job I can do.

how did you do on the assesment once you had the right headset?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I had trouble with the pedals and also could not hear all the audio - I got most of the letter done but not all of it.

I have been profoundly deaf since age of two - I turned up volume on it to max and hearing aids to max as well - low sounds hardest to hear generally.

Having a disability doesnt mean an employer isnt allowed to say you havent got the job because of it if it is not possible to make reasonable adjustments to allow for this.

In an extreme case a wheelchair bound person couldnt sue a roofing co for not giving them a job because of the requirement of the job would preclude that person from doing the work at an acceptable level.

In your case they have offered you an interview to see if you can cope with the work and whether they need to make other adjustments to allow you to perform the taks to an acceptable level. This doesnt mean you are a shoo in for the job nor that the only reason you wouldnt get it was their discriminatory practices.

All you can do is wait and see what happens and then ask for feedback if you dont get the post and take it from there but I would suggest that the wording of the feedback (assuming unsuccessful) will tell you enough. How many people applied and how many were shortlisted for interview?

Thanks ericsbrother . They gave no answer to how many applied. I have found it's been re advertised with less hours than they needed. There were also two tests; one I did really well at (error checking)

They have now fed back audio typing and they think I can not type - (I can copy type and touch type - 50 words to 60 words per minute- I have a data entry diploma) was the only reason for not getting it.

I would suggest that you write to them and formally request the information regarding the number of applicants, number interviewed and why having done so well in a standard test they have reached the conclusion they did and ask whether they would consider a retest with you using a more suitable headset as a "reasonable adjustrment" to your disability.

The fact they didnt offer the post to any of the candidates tells me something about their recruitment procedure that doesnt suggest discrimination, just that the person recruiting seems to have allowed their personal prejudices come into play (face not fitting rather than looking for positives). Hard to get past that.