Timing belt fitted incorrectly ** Satisfied **

Odog1980
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2864 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Don't get fobbed off.

Cambelt failure leads inevitably to other components failure.

A lot of time it's cheaper to buy a second hand engine than fix one where cambelt has failed.

Don't let them talk you into believing that coincidentally the engine blew just at the same time as their cambelt came off.

It's all related.

No doubt about it!

I will no be paying for any subsequent repair due to damage caused by the belt coming off when i paid for a full timing belt kit to be installed

Just had an update from the garage

they have told me that they have found an error code relating to the boost solenoid.

They are trying to clear it to see if it comes back.

Other than that they have no answers for me and they have even suggested that they might send the car to Audi for investigation

i popped into the garage on the way home.

The boost valve solenoid issue was cleared and has stayed clear.

There is a miss fire and the engine is imbalanced which has lead them to believe that there probably is some valve damage. (Nicked valves in their words).

They are now looking at getting some kit to do the compression test as the equipment they have is only suitable for VW and Skoda.

They will not remove the head before doing the compression test so looks like I will have to wait a bit longer before they get to the end of this.

sounds like your being fobbed of a little ? surely if they have the equipment for VW / Skoda that use's the same engines as the audi's then you would think there equipment would work

I was surprised to hear how easy the repair was (unless you have shortened the story)

I personally would have thought removing a broken tensioner bolt would be a hell of a job to do, equally what would cause a bolt like that to break?

sounds like your being fobbed of a little ? surely if they have the equipment for VW / Skoda that use's the same engines as the audi's then you would think there equipment would work

I was surprised to hear how easy the repair was (unless you have shortened the story)

I personally would have thought removing a broken tensioner bolt would be a hell of a job to do, equally what would cause a bolt like that to break?

About 2 days after I took the car back after being recovered they called me back to say the car had been fixed, no signs of damage and they had put another new belt on along with a new timing belt cover as the old cover was damaged when the car broke down. I have not shortened anything down, I only have the info that they gave me and that was the tensioner bolt snapped. Now if this was caused by poor workmanship either by incorrect fitting or the bolt failing due to plastic deformation I don't know.

I know what you mean when you say it sounds like I am being fobbed off, not sure about the test equipment and if it is compatible between all VAG cars? The only consolation is that I have been given a courtesy car while they are investigating what has gone wrong

A tensioner bolt would be aprox 10mm thick steel bolt into the side of the engine casings, if the bolt snapped they would have to remove the bit left in the engine casing in order to fit a new bolt, I would suggest the bolt wasn' fitted to the correct torque and has come loose

I think they are telling porkies or have missed out some vital information when describing there work to you

A tensioner bolt would be aprox 10mm thick steel bolt into the side of the engine casings, if the bolt snapped they would have to remove the bit left in the engine casing in order to fit a new bolt, I would suggest the bolt wasn' fitted to the correct torque and has come loose

I think they are telling porkies or have missed out some vital information when describing there work to you

Don't know if they are telling porkies but the are definitely not telling the whole story

Is it a good idea for the OP to be getting a paper trail?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Is it a good idea for the OP to be getting a paper trail?

Maybe would be a good idea. Not sure how I can start getting one together though. It would be nice if they gave me an update once in a while. They have had the car for 1 week and the only thing they have found was a fault code on the boost solenoid which has now been cleared and not returned. The only things I know are what the chief mechanic has told me. They have said they will not investigate the engine for possible damage until they get compression test results.

I have sent an email now asking for an update. And they have replied with we have borrowed two different types of compression testers and neither fitted your engine.

We are currently in the process of having an adaptor made to fit our tool and this should be ready by tomorrow.

Hopefully I can then complete the compression test and confirm if we are looking at a valve issue.

Again I am sorry for the delay and I will contact you at some stage tomorrow with an update.

It would have been quicker for them to bloody strip down the engine to check for damage instead of all of this crap!

having an adapter made?

sounds fishy, sounds like a bodge that may or may not hold upto official standards

time they were asked to send it to a dealer with the right equipment if you ask me

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

having an adapter made?

sounds fishy, sounds like a bodge that may or may not hold upto official standards

time they were asked to send it to a dealer with the right equipment if you ask me

I guess the adapter only has to screw into the port on the cylinder. If there are any leaks then it would point to low compression which would then point to damage when the belt came off. I will see what they come back with today and depending on the results will decide of it goes to Audi

I have sent an email now asking for an update. And they have replied with we have borrowed two different types of compression testers and neither fitted your engine.

We are currently in the process of having an adaptor made to fit our tool and this should be ready by tomorrow.

Hopefully I can then complete the compression test and confirm if we are looking at a valve issue.

Again I am sorry for the delay and I will contact you at some stage tomorrow with an update.

It would have been quicker for them to bloody strip down the engine to check for damage instead of all of this crap!

Well it's gone 'tomorrow' have they come back with the cylinder compression reading ??

Well it's gone 'tomorrow' have they come back with the cylinder compression reading ??

Hi Conniff,

all cylinders are within 24 bar reading. On closer examination we can see an issue with one of the camshaft followers. The camshaft followers have been removed and the securing pin on the follower is loose allowing the follower to move out of position. Replacement parts ordered

I'm not really understanding what it means "all cylinders are within 24 bar reading".

The psi of a normal diesel is around 350psi, that is 24 bar. You require the exact readings of 'all' cylinders and if there is a difference of around 10% in any of the cylinders, a wet test should also be carried out as well.

A decent engineer will carry out both wet and dry as a matter of course, you should ask if the readings are wet or dry.

Edited by Conniff

I'm not really understanding what it means "all cylinders are within 24 bar reading".

The psi of a normal diesel is around 350psi, that is 24 bar. You require the exact readings of 'all' cylinders and if there is a difference of around 10% in any of the cylinders, a wet test should also be carried out as well.

A decent engineer will carry out both wet and dry as a matter of course, you should as if the readings are wet or dry.

I didn't think it was recommended to wet test TDI's because of the high compression?

There are different testers for diesels than for petrol, they can read up to 1,000psi or 70 bar. Without a wet test, you will not get an accurate diagnostic of the engines condition or which parts are causing the problem.

Edited by Conniff

And that, unfortunatly, would appear to be it.................................................

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, I have been out of the country.

I have the car back now. The camshaft carrier was stripped and removed valve follow. 3 inlet followers had the head missing. These were replaced along with the shaft. No extra cost to me and the car is driving perfectly now