• Tweets

• Thank you BankFodder    Please can Andyorch advise me how to make the application and what to attach I will send this off tomorrow after 3pm, I can post up the final version here of what I need to send and send this on Monday if I know what I am required to do and what I now need to send to the Court to deal with this matter fully   Thank you so much to you both
    • I think you should probably follow the approach suggested by @Andyorch who is probably more up-to-date on these things and I am
    • Hi, we have managed to agree terms with this creditor, thankfully and finally.   Now we face another problem...my husband was declared bankrupt in 2018 by another creditor. Long story short, it's now in the hands of a trustee.  They have apparently completed a driveby valuation which is higher than the first creditor mentioned previously so the trustee believes there is more equity for them to take.  Our property is leasehold with a 54 year lease so tricky to value.  We made an offer based on the first creditors valuation which was rejected by the trustee because, guess what, their valuation stands. So, I am now fighting again to save our home. Is there anything we can do to challenge the valuation and suggest the equity isn't as high as they think it is? Will a trustee be brutal enough to effectively push us into a homeless situation during a global pandemic because raising the funds they are seeking, is somewhat out of reach? Any help is gratefully received. Thank you.
    • Hi Andyrorch and BankFodder   I have just read up the posts, I am confused as to what to do, please can I be advised which route to go finally and how this is done, based on the advices to date.   I will be able to look into this tomorrow as I am off work most of the day tomorrow after 3pm   Thank you
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Employer withholding wages, claiming hours were "stolen", no written contract

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1649 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Posting on behalf of a friend, who is employed by a cleaning company. The facts:

- She's been working for the company for 5+ years as a cleaner for a certain client for GBP 6.50/hr for 2 hrs/day (10hrs/week) and her husband was also employed there for the same wage for 3 hrs/day (15 hrs/week).

- There is no written contract and she and her husband have never received anything from the employer except salary payments into their accounts.

- Ever since she's been working there she was told by her supervisor that as long as the offices are cleaned properly it doesn't matter how many hours she works. As a result, she's been going for 3-4 hours/day to do both hers and her husband's work and was always paid for 5 hours/day. No complaints regarding her work have been made.

- Her husband was sacked in Feb 2016 because he never showed up at work (even though the verbal arrangement has always been that she does the work of 2 people - apparently this was the norm at the company). This was after a management change, which also caused her old supervisor to be sacked.

- Now she's received a letter from her employer (see below), which basically states that she's inflated the hours she was supposed to work and she owes the client of the employer 736 hours for 2015 (only) or GBP 4,784 and they are going to deduct it from her salary (which they've already started to do). It would become due if she decides to leave. They also include her husband's hours into this amount (not sure how they calculated 736 hours).

I'm pretty sure most of the assertions in the letter are questionable, to say the least. She should have received a written contract and they can't just withhold money from her salary. They mention a meeting between her and the client last August, which she does not recall. They claim that the security guard has been tallying her hours in addition to her punching in/out and that's how they claim they've calculated 736 hours, which is not really believable.

It's also clear that the company is trying to get rid of her (as they've already sacked her husband and most of her old colleagues), so she's going to look for another job. However, she wouldn't want to get a debt collections agency on her back and she would like the withheld money returned.

So my question is what she should do at this point. :|

LETTER - date 21 March 2016 [suspiciously close to the official minimum wage hike, too...]

Dear ****

Our customer has highlighted deficiencies in the hours that have been worked during 2015.

1. It would appear that on the majority of working days, only one person attended site when there should have been two, namely you and your husband.

2. Our customer has analysed the signing in times that you entered in the log book on their floor against the hours recorded by the security guard downstairs when you arrived and left the building each day.

It would appear that you have been entering earlier arrival times and later departure times on the customer book their floor, compared with these recorded by the security guard.

Consequently our customer has requested a refund of 736 hours' work that has not been carried out during 2015.

You were aware that two people should be on site for 2.5 hours a day. From the evidence put to us, your husband very rarely attended site and you knew that.

Further, you have been inflating the hours you have been working on site.

You had a meeting directly with our customer in August where the deficiencies in the cleaning provision were pointed out and following this, two staff did start working again but this lasted just thirteen days.

You and your husband have stolen 736 hours during 2015 from our customer. Based on an hourly rate of GBP 6.50, that is GBP 4,784.

Accordingly this amount is to be repaid.

We will arrange to commence recovery of this over payment from you at the rate of GBP 30.00 per week until the over payment is cleared.

Should you leave our employment, the full amount will become due and we will expect payment immediately.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, kindly contact me immediately.

Yours sincerely,

Operations Director

Edited by Bumblebee3000
Letter from employer added

they cannot collect money owed by her hubby even if they wanted to so if they try she should let them know she is about to issue a county court claim for the recovery of any amount already retained from her pay. They will lose so will probably put the brakes on there and then.

If I were her I would leave and then let them sue her and counterclaim for any retained/unpaid wages. The issue of the company she worked for wanting their money back is a contractual matter between her employer and them, nothing to do with her, they can only sack her for dereliction of duty, not demand she pays them because she did what she was told to do by her supervisor.

Thanks, ericsbrother - they have already withheld GBP 60 in the last 2 weeks' pay and will presumably continue to do so. Would you suggest that she actually submit a county court claim (after informing them she'll do so) if the employer doesn't respond or give her back the withheld wages?

Also, would it be best for her leave before she receives a response to the above (that is, ASAP) or should she wait for a response? There's the danger of them withholding her last 2 weeks' wages if she does not give a notice (not sure what that is but she mentioned a week)...

Thanks very much!

I don't think she should leave, why being unemployed if you don't have to be? They most likely would give her the money though as they have no right under the minimum wage act.

Ask her to stay and if the company decides to sack her then they have to go through a long and lengthy process or they face having a claim in the employment tribunal.

She has 5+years so a lot is in her favour

Also to scare them I would suggest she ask for the minute of the meeting or a witness statement (neither is possible) but it would get them to sit up and stop throwing accusations here and there.

She should also ask for her written contract and a good reason why it was never given to her before now.

They most likely wouldn't answer but she will have her job for a bit longer until she gets another one.

Can't deduct anything at all unless it's part of her written contract. Sounds like a sham of a company

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Guest topcat14

So many issues here,

Is the lady receiving the Minimum Wage ? which became £6.70 per hour from October 2015.

In the absence of T&C's of Employment the "Usual Custom and Practice" rule can be applied regarding the hours and other terms which become "implied" by virtue of the fact that the employment was continuing in the way that it was.

Did the Husband and now only the wife receive payslips ? P60's ?

Was the husband disciplined in the correct way before being dismissed ie via the procedures in the Employee Handbook - important as this is time limited !

That is all for the moment ..

Looking at the figures alone, it looks dodgy.

736hours / 52 weeks in a year = 14.15 hours per week they are claiming she didn't work, but claimed credit for.

You say she claimed 3 or 4 hours a day for (presumably) 5 days a week, that's 15 - 20 hours a week.

Surely it is provable for you in some way if she worked 20 hours a week for a whole year and they say she only worked 6!

Thanks everyone!

donarebun - I'll tell her to ask for a written contract (suspect there isn't one). It's also likely they're in breach of the minimum wage act - apparently they hadn't been paying her the minimum wage as it rose (to gbp 6.50 and then 6.70) until her husband called them to ask - and they don't seem to have repaid the amount owed from the date the wage rose, only from when they got the call or thereabouts.

renegadeimp - yes, it certainly does look like a sham company. They're employing a lot of immigrants and they're using their lack of English and knowledge of the law against them. From what I heard from my friend I'm almost 100% sure that they've breached the minimum wage laws (and others) many, many times. Isn't there somewhere else she could report them to? HMRC?

topcat14 - please see above re: the minimum wage. She doesn't think (will check) they're paying her the gbp 7.20/hr, which started on 1 April.

Good news about the contract then - I thought the arrangements with the supervisor about working fewer hours than initially agreed to were questionable but if they continued for years and no one from the company (or their client) complained, then I guess that's acceptable. BTW, what happens if they give her a written copy of her contract (doubtful) and the terms there are different to what she agreed to initially? Does she have to sign? She hasn't signed any contracts apparently (and no written copies ever received).

She thinks she has P60s and payslips but she'll check.

Regarding "disciplining" - apparently she was issued some kind of a discipline letter a few months ago (she will look for it), which she was asked to sign (and she did). Not sure if her husband received or signed any such thing before he was sacked though. They seem to be under the impression that she represents both herself and her husband somehow - ?

SoggyMoggy - indeed, I can't make heads or tails out of their calculations. I think they just pulled the numbers out of nowhere.

king12345 - I was appalled myself. They've really pulled out all the stops, haven't they? I'm sure these are the kinds of letters they used to sack most of my friend's old colleagues who were probably intimidated by this kind of language enough that they left on their own.

Thanks again, I'll help her draft a letter tonight so she can hand it in later this week.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

You mentioned illegal immigrants.

If your friends is one of them I suggest she keeps her head down and move home when she's sacked or leaves the job.

Immigrants are mentioned but no mention of them being "illegal"

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

A & L SETTLED IN FULL :lol:

Spml Reluctantly withdrawn

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

Immigrants are mentioned but no mention of them being "illegal"

Pardon me, I just went with the flow as at my workplace all the cleaners are supposed to be vetted but most of them are not supposed to be in uk

Pardon me, I just went with the flow as at my workplace all the cleaners are supposed to be vetted but most of them are not supposed to be in uk

If they haven't been vetted how do you know they are not supposed to be in the UK?

If they haven't been vetted how do you know they are not supposed to be in the UK?

Because they chit chat with us and some confess of having entered illegally or overstayed their visa.

Maybe they just like to brag about something not true.

Anyway, that's not the op's case, so no worries on that front.

I think you have to be a little bit careful here. Submitting a claim for 5 hours work when you have only been on the premises for 3-4 hours could be seen as fraud. The employer may well be able to bring a county court claim for recovery of the money against your friend for fraud if it has a proper paper trail in place. If your friend decides to bring a court claim for the money that has been withheld that could encourage the employer to counterclaim for the £4,784.

If she was told to submit a claim for 5 hours by her supervisor, and this was the normal and accepted practice in the company, then that may be an excuse.

I would search for another job ASAP. I would also ask the employer what evidence they have. 736 hours sounds like an awful lot of hours in the course of 1 year. That is more than 2 hours a day for every day of the week. If they can't produce a proper paper trail that will give your friend more confidence.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS