Introductory service from an agent on Rightmove

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1826 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

This is a bit of a strange one but hoping someone can give me some advice.

Last year we enquired about a property in Spain via Rightmove

the agency "introduced" us to a local agent in Spain.

They did nothing but forward our e-mail as far as I can tell.

During the purchase of the property the agency told us that a 3% fee was payable to the Rightmove agency.

I did think that was a bit steep for doing nothing but the deal was a good one on the property so we didn't say anything.

I transferred the 3% along with the rest of the money to my new Spanish bank account

and our agent and solicitor handled the purchase.

Long story short,

we ended up paying more tax than expected, and the funds for the 3% were used by the solicitor

I did not know this until afterwards when the Rightmove agency started chasing me for payment.

I queried it as I thought it had been paid then found out that actually it hadn't and was no longer available.

Of course I was annoyed neither the agent or the solicitor informed me of the change.

Another long story short,

the agent said the builders would give us the choice on the apartment and solarium we wanted

as we were the first to make an offer and it was a distressed property.

We told the agency what we wanted

fast forward several months we find out that actually,

due to the deeds we could never have had a different solarium

and therefore ended up with the right apartment but wrong solarium with no warning at all.

The agency told us complete nonsense, probably to secure our sale,

and simply didn't do their homework first on the property.

Of course we were livid and also very upset

end result is we owned the apartment and after discussing with our solicitor

they said there was no way to change anything.

The next thing is I get an email chasing the 3%

I felt that was outrageous given the huge mistake made by the company

that the Rightmove agency introduced us to so I've refused to pay it.

The Rightmove agency tell me that all they do is introduce and have nothing more to do with it,

so will take me to small claims.

I should point out I've never signed any contract with the Rightmove agency at all.

Personally I feel that for 3% (around £1200) I should get some value from the service they have provided

and if they are introducing surely they have some responsibility to ensure they are introducing us to competent professionals.

Am I mistaken, can they get away with this :|?

If you haven't signed anything with rightmove you owe them nothing.

Make sure you haven't signed anything in the Spanish paperwork related to rightmove introductory fee.

Also look at the small print in the emails from them.

If nothing is there it only means that there was never any sort of agreement.

However as you knew about the 3% from the start, I assume that they communicated this to you and you agreed.

Remember that a confirmation email is as good as hard signature nowadays and a county court judge will probably see that as an agreement as good as signed in ink.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I think that's the problem as I did acknowledge the invoice by e-mail originally it is only since we've had complications with the purchase that I feel that paying them is unfair given they introduced me to this particular agency in Spain, and it is that introduction I am paying them good money for.

I thought this may be the case, very frustrating.

Check if in the Spanish paperwork there's an insurance premium paid for shortfalls.

Years ago my friend bought a villa in Spain off plan but when it was built it was a 3 bedroom instead of 4.

There was insurance in place for this sort of things and he got some money back.

May be a standard Spanish thing, just guessing but worth checking

I think it would help if you can ask rightmove to provide the set of T&Cs they say you agreed to, and post them here.

If you did agree to pay rightmove a 3% fee for making an introduction then I don't see how you can escape that, even if the introduction was rubbish, but you should check what you actually agreed to.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS