Court summons failing to give drivers identity - speeding ticket

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2936 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today I received a court summons for failing to identify the driver from a speeding ticket I received at work in last august.

The problem is,

at the time I was technically homeless (sleeping on friends/family's sofas) but using my dad's address so missed the first letters.

Then I found a room to rent last September,

changed the address on my driving licence and receive the letter,

which I filled in and sent off just before Christmas so I thought it was done.

Now I have a court summons for failing to identify the driver.

Twice I have admitted I was the driver.

Once when they sent the form to my work place and once when they sent it to my address.

Now I've had to move out of the room I was renting because my landlord wanted the room back, but my licence is still on that address

What should I do? I don't want to plead guilty to something I haven't done.

Any advice

Hi, i don't know any legalities or anything like that but read my thread ''http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?459981-Court-Letter-Unknowingly-Prosecuted(3-Viewing)-nbsp''

Its only recent too (last week). Just go to court and tell them you have admitted you were driving. I don't think you will be punished any more than you would have if you admitted it straight away.

Good Luck

I just went on my own. Just got called in, asked to say I would tell the truth and then the read out the 'offence' then the magistrate asked me if I had anything to say.

I said yes it was me (I dont know that it was but didnt want to argue that) and I did not receive the letters. If I had received them I would have definitely admitted it straight away.

they spoke to each other for all 30 seconds and said, ok its quashed and will revert to 3 points and the £100 fine (which is what you get for speeding anyway) and I also have to pay £85 court costs.

I'm confused, twice you said it was you driving but you don't want to plead guilty to something you haven't done?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Thanks again minmac, that makes me feel a little less worried.

I'm just not sure why I'm in this situation when I have done what I was supposed to do.

Hi martin2006

It's not the speeding offence that I'm denying. Because I was in a work vehicle at the time, they sent a request for the name of the driver to my work. Which my work sent back after I filled out the details saying I was the driver at the time. Then I received the same letter which I sent back. Now I have a summons to court for failing to give the drivers identity which is a much more serious offence.

Hope this clears things up

Hi martin2006

It's not the speeding offence that I'm denying. Because I was in a work vehicle at the time, they sent a request for the name of the driver to my work. Which my work sent back after I filled out the details saying I was the driver at the time. Then I received the same letter which I sent back. Now I have a summons to court for failing to give the drivers identity which is a much more serious offence.

Yes thanks, thats much clearer

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Hi martin2006

Your company replied nominating you as the driver at the time, did you complete and return the form that was sent to you?

I presume then that either yourself or your work has kept a copy of the form which you could use to defend that you have informed the relevant authority?

Yes, I completed the form and sent it back. Thats why I'm confused as to why i have a court summons.

did you send it back within the time limit, 28 days i think. if not, maybe thats why it was generated.