Enhanced DBS - ** SUCCESSFUL OUTCOME **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2939 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, was looking for some advice on a situation I have landed myself in.

Recently was offered a job as a pest controller,

in the interview process, the application form said about criminal convictions.

It said under the rehabilitation act 1974, I did not have to declare spent convictions, so I never.

However, I have just received my contract and it states I have to pass an Enhanced disclosure.

Im crapping myself as I have 3 minor convictions when I was a teenager.

I have received a fine and 2 conditional discharges as a result, but have been out of trouble since 1989.

How will this affect my job?

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Steve

Edited by honeybee13
Company name removed.

nothing they are spent.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the reply dx......But surely the company wont employ me with spent convictions?

The enhanced dbs will have these convictions visible to the employer, and its going to go against me

Edited by Mr.P
Removed company name

no they wont be visible.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disclosure_and_Barring_Service#Enhanced_DBS_check

Enhanced DBS checks are for positions involving certain activities such as teaching children or treating adults and can also be obtained for certain other professions (for example, judicial appointments, RSPCA officers). An enhanced check may only be applied for if the applicant's job role is specified in both the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exception) order 1975 and the Police Act 1997.[11]

In addition to the information provided on a Standard certificate, the Enhanced certificate involves an additional check with the police,[12] who check if any other information is held on file that may be relevant (for instance, information that has not led to a criminal conviction but may indicate a danger to vulnerable groups). The police decide what (if any) additional information will be added to the certificate using the Quality Assurance Framework.[13]

As you may be working in clients' homes they are interested in theft and violence crimes, I would guess. So depends what you did but the key thing is to fess up before they find out.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Unfortunately spent convictions WILL be disclosed on an enhanced disclosure. There is nothing you can do about this. Any DBS check includes all details of spent and unspent convictions - the enhanced check also includes details which may be held locally by police forces - for example investigations which did not proceed to a charge or conviction, providing that such information is relevant to the position being applied for. I am guessing that the enhanced check is warranted due to the likelihood of you operating in potentially sensitive locations or being exposed to vulnerable people or children.

It is natural to assume that a long-spent conviction may scupper job prospects but there are plenty of people who have found this not to be the case. You could also say that you have nothing to lose by going back and explaining your fears. After all, the application form was specific in only asking for details of UNSPENT convictions so it isn't as if you were untruthful. If you have an opportunity to explain that the offences were over 25 years ago and that you were young and foolish but have never been in trouble since then this may work in your favour. The reason for the DBS is to assess the risk that you pose NOW, not to punish you all over again for a mis-spent youth!

• Haha 1

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

the enhanced DBS would only be relevant in this job if it were likely that you would come into contact with unsupervised children or other vulnerable persons. Now the most likely vulnerable group would be elderly/disabled so be ready to offer some explanation if your past would be likely to impinge upon this contact.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

Your right, all spent convictions are declared on the enhanced DBS check, and will always be.

I have informed the employer of my situation, and was surprised at how understanding they were.

They told me, of the 3000 customer facing pest controllers they employ, almost half have a record!!!

What happened years ago is "spent" and my crimes were idiotic, teenage stupidities which have not been repeated since.

They do a DBS check to ensure im not a paedo or a risk to their clients.

Theyhave said I will not be dismissed........Happy days!!!!!!!

Edited by honeybee13

Hello there.

I'm pleased it's worked out for you. Thank you for updating the thread because this will give hope to others in the same situation as you.

HB

PS I've removed the employer's name so that this remains anonymous. The advice would have been the same regardless of who the employer was. :)

Edited by honeybee13
Employer name removed.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello there.

I'm pleased it's worked out for you. Thank you for updating the thread because this will give hope to others in the same situation as you.

HB

PS I've removed the employer's name so that this remains anonymous. The advice would have been the same regardless of who the employer was. :)

Hi HB, thank you very much.

I can stop stressing now, because the past won't affect my future.

Thanks to everyone for their advice

Well done - thank God for common sense!

All the best with the new job

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!