Just received lcs debt recovery for tax credit debt of £2655.00 from 2008/2009

Hadituptohere
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2857 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya

Ive opened my mail this morning to find a letter from LCS Debt Recovery for Tax Credits Debt of £2655.00 which has just floored me .

Ive rang the Tax Credit enquiries line to find out where this has arisen and been informed its from the years 2008/2009.

Ive been divorced since 2010 and continued claiming Tax Credits ever since as I was lucky enough to have my children live with me.

Apparently the amount claimed ny the recovery team is only half of the amount, Ive informed Tax Credits that I wasnt aware of the overpayment and had never seen the paperwork that they have sent through that year or I would have arranged repayment and to not hear anything for 7 years then a Debt Collection letter land through my door has left me in shock.

The Tax credit representative has put in the post to me the overpayment bill for that year and the calculations made so I can see it for my own eyes.

Im now living with my partner who is disabled and she claims ESA for the 2 of us and have 2 14 year old boys and a 9 year old girl.

As ive said this has really floored me and my partner has serious health issues that are stress related and has to avoid stress at all costs and this bill for £2655.00 isnt helping the situation and its from my previous marriage.

Can anyone advise what I can do or help in this matter plz?? Ive been told by the tax credits to contact the debt company and arrange payment.

They also stated that the paperwork can take upto 12 weeks to come through and that the Collection would continue during this period, and that there is a dispute letter I can complete but im afraid once the payments start with the Debt company its acknowledgment of the debt and once the debt collection company get their teeth in they dont let go.

Hadituptohere

I'm far from an expert, but learning all the time!!!!!

If i've been at all helpful please click my star.

Hadituptohere OH V Capital One, **WON**

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (providian/Monument/Barclaycard cc) - ** claim struck out ** due to non complaince of CPR, Wasted Costs applied for, Default Cost Certificate issued by Court, Warrant of excecution and CC Baliffs instructed...lol 😎

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (morgan stanley dean witter/barclays cc) - account in dispute, LBA sent to barclays, awaiting responce, no responce.

Hadituptohere V RBS, default removal x 2, case dismissed, judge used Balance of Probabilities against hard Evidence.

Hadituptohere OH v Santander, Santander issue claim in court, settled out of court via Tomlin, less solicitors fees and interest.

Think what you have to do is start a complaint with the Tax Credit people about this situation and that you do not believe anything is owed, as you have not received any previous communication regarding overpayment. Send it by letter, with a copy to LCS and in the letter to LCS advise them that until the full complaints process has been gone through, you are not able to respond to them.

See how your complaint is dealt with and if you need to, you can involve your local MP, who can make a complaint to the Parliamentary Ombudsman if necessary.

You would question how they have worked this out 7 years later.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you unclebulgaria

I mentioned on the telephone to the Tax Credits that I have not seen this overpayment notice hence requesting the bill myself, I was told that as the claim was a joint claim and that both of our names were on the overpayment notice it didnt matter if Id not been made aware as they had fulfilled their side of things by addressing it to both claimants???

I will do as you have recommended and basically put the account in dispute and notify LCS of this.

Hadituptohere

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (providian/Monument/Barclaycard cc) - ** claim struck out ** due to non complaince of CPR, Wasted Costs applied for, Default Cost Certificate issued by Court, Warrant of excecution and CC Baliffs instructed...lol 😎

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (morgan stanley dean witter/barclays cc) - account in dispute, LBA sent to barclays, awaiting responce, no responce.

Hadituptohere V RBS, default removal x 2, case dismissed, judge used Balance of Probabilities against hard Evidence.

Hadituptohere OH v Santander, Santander issue claim in court, settled out of court via Tomlin, less solicitors fees and interest.

I have looked at other similar threads and it is also advised to send HMRC a SAR.

See this being discussed in this thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?445465-tax-credit-overpayment-from-2009

There is no admin fee for an SAR to HMRC.

Because this debt is over 6 years ago, they can't enforce through court action, but they can take from benefits if need be.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thyankyou again for the info, I thought because benefits are classed as the queens money they could enforce whenever?? I could be wrong.

As you say its been 7 years and Ive been a claimant since why has nothing been done about this over the 7 years and now sent through a Debt Collection Company when small deductions could have been made to my existing claim ??? There will surely be charges applied by the Debt Company

Hadituptohere

Edit

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thyankyou again for the info, I thought because benefits are classed as the queens money they could enforce whenever?? I could be wrong.

As you say its been 7 years and Ive been a claimant since why has nothing been done about this over the 7 years and now sent through a Debt Collection Company when small deductions could have been made to my existing claim ??? There will surely be charges applied by the Debt Company

Hadituptohere

Charges? Dcas can't add anything and can't do anything anyway on a government debt

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

thats good to hear and thankyou renegadeimp

Ive just completed the online SAR that unclebulgaria has pointed me towards.

Hadituptohere

Charges? Dcas can't do anything anyway on a government debt

In what whay cant they do anything??? please

Hadituptohere

Apparently Payments have been made on this overpayment back in 2012 when we had seperated and been divorced at £40.00 per week

but then stopped and that wasnt by myself so must have been by my Ex wife,

it seems funny that my ex was aware of the debt

but it was me who was the continuous claimant for Tax Credits

and nothing had been brough to my attention?

Hadituptohere

Wait for the SAR info. Perhaps you have moved and they wrote to previous address.

I will await the SAR but ive definitley not moved from the matrimonial home as I have the children

ignore the DCA totally that's for sure

its a govt debt

and as with all DCA's they have no powers whatsoever

and even less on a gov't debt.

they are acting as powerless clients.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

In what whay cant they do anything??? please

Hadituptohere

Crucially, a DCA can't start court action on a government debt - only the government itself can do that. And the usual rules concerning Statute Barred debt apply to benefit overpayments that were not the result of fraud, which this obviously was not. So it would appear that this is not recoverable in that way, but HMRC can make deductions from future benefits, including the State Retirement Pension, at any time in the future.

I'd definitely send a SAR. Are you on speaking terms with your ex? If so, might be worth checking to see what she knows. Normally I'd advise people to make an appeal in cases like this, but if your ex has made some payments then HMRC would probably decide that you were informed of the matter in 2012 and so are out of time to appeal.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

We aren't on speaking terms unfortunately everything has to go through our solicitors (her choice not mine) and split in 2010 and was divorced in 2011.

So any payment was on her behalf and without my knowledge as per the overpayment papers they apparently sent.

The SAR has been applied for online..

Thanks for all your advice and reassuring words

Hadituptohere

I acknowledge that the DCA is powerless but can they pass information to CRA's ??

govt debt don't show

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I acknowledge that the DCA is powerless but can they pass information to CRA's ??

not a chance in hell of it.

• 1 month later...
Crucially, a DCA can't start court action on a government debt - only the government itself can do that. And the usual rules concerning Statute Barred debt apply to benefit overpayments that were not the result of fraud, which this obviously was not. So it would appear that this is not recoverable in that way, but HMRC can make deductions from future benefits, including the State Retirement Pension, at any time in the future.

Just received this today

Hadituptohere

lcs child credits.pdf

All of a sudden the amount is halved, and the £2655.00 was half previously... and there is the suggestion of legal action. still awaiting SAR

Hadituptohere

you need to remove barcode and qrcodes etc too

but safe to ignore

dx

and they

Thanks dx... dont know how to edit the attachment or remove it.

hadituptohere

already removed from others view

and they

Thankyou again

Hadituptohere

• 2 weeks later...

HMRC have missed the deadline date of 40 days for my SAR that was sent online...??

More threatening letters from LCS of wat could happen if i dont settle including bailiffs selling my possessions....

Hadituptohere

no read the letter properly it doesn't say bailiffs will etc etcc.anything

no harm in ringing hmrc to findout what is going on.

dx

and they