Used car now has fault

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2932 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I bought a used car from a dealer on 3/2/16 who is a 6 hour return journey from where I live. I paid a small cash deposit and had the rest on finance. When I arrived at the dealership the condition of the vehicle didn't match the description I had been given by phone e.g., there were scratches that had not been mentioned and that the the pictures didn't show, 2 of the tyres were bordering on being bald and one of the electric windows didn't work. Because of the distance I had travelled by train, and because I was in need of a vehicle quickly, I was put in a bit of a position so when the dealer knocked £200 off the price of the car and included a 6 month warranty (to enable the window to be repaired) I went ahead with the purchase of the vehicle.

Some time after getting the vehicle home I started to notice that there was some fluid leaking from it, and when I looked into it I found it was steering fluid and the vehicle was loosing all of it's steering fluid in the period of a couple of days and continuously has to be topped up. I informed the dealer about this and they told me that I should either get the vehicle repaired under cover of the warranty, or take it back to them (6 hour round trip) for the repair to be carried out. I took the vehicle into my local garage for inspection and they confirmed that some pipes need to be replaced costing £360 but the work is not covered under the warranty. I informed the dealer of this and sent them a copy of the estimate, and I asked if it would be possible to have the repair carried out locally as it is not practical to travel for 6 hours to have this done, but they have just ignored my email.

Will someone please be kind enough to advise me what my rights are in this situation and what my next move should be please? This fault was obviously present when I bought the vehicle even though it was given a new MOT.

Thank you

I might seem harsh, but the distance isn't the sellers problem and the regulations do say he must have the first chance at any repairs. £360 may be way above what the dealer can do the same job for so it would be unfair to expect him

to pay over the odds by having the work done locally to you.

Try again with the email and if you are using Microsoft Outlook, click on the Request a Delivery Receipt. If no reply is still forthcoming, then send the same by letter and make it recorded delivery.

Thanks for that Conniff, I understand that the distance involved was my choice when I bought the vehicle, but the reason I want the repair done locally is because the fault must have been present when the vehicle was sold to me, so I don't see why I should be expected to travel to him to have it repaired, at my expense and inconvenience. If it was something that had developed after I had been using the vehicle for a while then I would understand him asking me to take the car back, but I had only had the car for a couple of days when I started to notice the problem. The vehicle was sold with the fault already present.

I'm afraid he can refuse what you would like. The only thing I can think that he might agree to having it repaired at your end would be a 50/50 split between him and you. If the garage can do it for £360, then the seller could do it for £100.

It has to be worth a try and see how he goes.

Was the prices quoted by local garage King - the cost of the pipes is £159 and£70 plus fitting and VAT

Wow! That's steep.

If I can suggest, look yourself hat pipes are needed and ask the price to the main dealer.

Fitting, system refilling and bleeding at £70+vat is reasonable, but £159 for pipes seems quite a price.

Again, I'm sure not every pipe is leaking.