Four hundred pound charges - in one month!

Thora Trumpet

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5741 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had to do a job paying rubbish wages for a month and my bank account suffered - I went over my agreed overdraft and some items were bounced from the account. It was only when I went through the charges since 2nd October yesterday that I realised that First Direct had taken £400 in charges - including two £75 charges for going over the limit.

I wrote to them and asked them to refund it and got a letter back asking me to ring them which I did.

The Woman I spoke to put me on hold so she could, she said, check the notes on the account and after she was gone ages said there were another £120 charges to go on next week and as one of the charges had put my over my overdraft limit she would refund that. When I told her that was unacceptable she offered to refund half the charges yet to go onto the account - some offer!

I told her that wasn't on and she just went on about me having to write in - which I did this morning and asked for the lot to be refunded. I don't want to get medieval on their ass just yet as I did like them before this but I'm going to be in serious financial difficulties if I don't get that cash back.

This appears excessive in the least, do you have a fall back account? Ask for a copy of all statements for the last 6 years, and filter out your charges - you might be surprised! S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) next!

This was my fall back account from Barclays :D

I've only been with them since July, I've written a semi polite letter to them and will use the SAR on them if they don't respond in a helpful manner.

You should have accepted the offer of half for now and still goen after them for the rest, it would have alleviated the problem temporarily ayway.

Still, what's done's done... Hopefully, they won't give you too much hassle, but be prepared to switch accounts, as they're part of HSBC and have been known to close accounts, not on the first reclaim, but on the second.

You should have accepted the offer of half for now and still goen after them for the rest, it would have alleviated the problem temporarily ayway.

Still, what's done's done... Hopefully, they won't give you too much hassle, but be prepared to switch accounts, as they're part of HSBC and have been known to close accounts, not on the first reclaim, but on the second.

I know but the offer was only £37.50 and having £60 charges instead of £122 on the account next week meaning little real difference to the account. I'd be sorry if they closed the account as I have been pleased with them apart from the charges but I can't go on like this.

I simply didn't realise the charges would be so high £400 in a month regardless of the way the account was managed seems very extreme. My new job will get me back on my feet but not if the bank keeps taking these charges.

Thora - this doesnt surprise me at all with F.D. I have been with them for just 12months and am claiming back £800.00. None of their charges seem to make any sense at all, well not me anyway.

Good luck with your case